Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

desperately need help on my chest!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Alright so I've been going to the gym for years. I have managed to get very big from it. However I feel as though I still do not have a chest and I dont know why. I bench a lot of weight, i weigh 205 and bench 400lbs (i think thats like 181.5kg?)

I typically workout chest every other day since its my main problem area (often times supersetting every workout with back exercises)

My workout typically looks like this (except for days when i change it around to shock it)

Flat bench:
    135lbs (61kg) 20-30 times
    225lbs (102kg) 12-15 times
    275lbs (124.7kg) 6-8 times
    315lbs (142.88kg) 4-6 times
    and then if im doing my max ill throw on 400 (181.5kg) for 1

incline bench:
    135lbs 12-15 times
    185lbs (84kg) 10-12 times
    205 (93kg) 8-10
    depending on how hard that felt i may do another set of 225lbs for 4

decline bench:
    185lbs for 10
    225lbs for 10
    225lbs for 8

dips:
    3 sets of 15

flys:
    3-4 sets increasing the weights with each set (normally only able to do sets of 8 with these often times failing at 7)

depending how tired i am i may do 3 sets of pullovers with 75lbs (34kg)

Doesnt sound too bad right? should be able to develope a chest with it shouldnt i? but its not working...

here is a picture of the best my chest has ever looked:

Not great but not too bad either, however my chest typically looks like this:

As you can see there is next to no definition at all, which considering how much i work on my chest is kindda ridiculous.

I could really use some advice, maybe someone can alter my typical workout? it just seems absurd to work something so much and get so little results

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, having a well formed chest isn't purely about working out at the gym. It's also about genetics. Sounds like you're doing all you can, so might just be you don't have the right genetics?

Example: David Beckham.

ReputationRep:
    Flat bench was never a great chest exercise.

& hitting chest three times a week? really?

Do you do the same w/o on all 3 days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Robotnik)
    To be honest, having a well formed chest isn't purely about working out at the gym. It's also about genetics. Sounds like you're doing all you can, so might just be you don't have the right genetics?

Example: David Beckham.
    I don't understand your example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    I don't understand your example.
    x2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    x2
    x9001

Since when does David Beckham have anything well-developed about his upper body?

ReputationRep:
    Genetics would be a nice easy write off, except that my dad always had a nicely shaped chest, so it would seem unlikely my genetics are impeding me.

(Original post by Adonis)
    Flat bench was never a great chest exercise.

& hitting chest three times a week? really?

Do you do the same w/o on all 3 days?
    Yeah, I do chest and back every other day (something i read arnold did). As for the exact same workout every day? No, i do try to change it up. Now sometimes this is little changes like doing a back heavy day with chest not being a primary focus but only going for a pump. Or I may just change the order of my workouts for instance starting on incline bench and then ending with flat bench... or i might switch from bar to dumbbells.

I do however have a problem with wanting everyone to know how strong i am so many days i do go very very heavy on flat bench

I'm just so incedibly frustrated... some days i dont even see a point in going to the gym cause im not seeing anything in my chest from it.

ReputationRep:
    Are you on gear?

how can you train the same bodypart heavy thrice a week =|

ReputationRep:
    not always heavy, i do manage to force myself to do lighter weight usually 225lbs for 4 sets of 10 on the middle day. But as i said, some days my primary focus is back and i just hit chest a little, again usually that in between day.

And every other day is all the rest each muscle needs to be able to hit it again.

ReputationRep:
    Try dumbbell bench and stop maxing out, try 4 sets of 8 on everything instead, and drop to two sessions a week on chest.

Max effort is not a muscle builder, you will also use other muscles much more due to the difficulty of the lift. If you want to be a ****** bodybuilder you need to train for hypertrophy and not anything functional.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.