Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've been using mousse for a few weeks now but I don't think I'm using it properly though.
    I apply it to wet hair and brush it through. It's nice until it dries. It ends up making my hair quite stiff, almost like gel.

How am I supposed to be using it? Am I using too much?

ReputationRep:
    Mousse is supposed to give hair more volume or to scrunch it and make it hold so if you're brushing it through your hair you are basically straightening it and holding it there like gel so it's bound to be stiff.
    What are you trying to get your hair to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sigstuff)
    Mousse is supposed to give hair more volume or to scrunch it and make it hold so if you're brushing it through your hair you are basically straightening it and holding it there like gel so it's bound to be stiff.
    What are you trying to get your hair to do?
    Trying to get it wavy/curly. I brush it through so it's spread through the hair then mess it up with my hands and then shake my head so it settles in it's own wavy way (all done while it's still wet). When it dries, it sets like a gel, but not as stiff.
    I'd like to have it like it is but not so stiff if it's possible. i.e it'll blow easily in a gentle breeze but not stay "blown". Should i be using something else?

ReputationRep:
    Then yeah, don't use as much and use a mousse with a lower strength (some are numbered 1 to 4)

ReputationRep:
    Then yeah, don't use as much and use a mousse with a lower strength (some are numbered 1 to 4)
    Thanks. I'll give that a go.

ReputationRep:
    The one piece of advice I can give about that stuff is it sure isn't tasty.

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas how often I should use it?

ReputationRep:
    Not too often because it will damage your hair unless you wash it out at the end of the day and condition your hair.

ReputationRep:
    I find that if I use mousse and don't blowdry my hair properly it goes all crispy. Have you tried blow drying your hair? Dry using the hottest setting but slowest speed. That may help x

ReputationRep:
    oh dear, I read this a how do you use a mouse :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    oh dear, I read this a how do you use a mouse :facepalm:
    Hehe, slightly dissapointed you didn't leave instructions nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    Just use a little bit, use a good quality one too. I never brush mine through..

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, slightly dissapointed you didn't leave instructions nevermind.
    I left it for you to finish off :p:

OP: I have never used mousse but try this guide.
    http://www.howtodothings.com/fashion...th-mousse.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieUni08)
    I find that if I use mousse and don't blowdry my hair properly it goes all crispy. Have you tried blow drying your hair? Dry using the hottest setting but slowest speed. That may help x
    Will give that a go, thanks.

(Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Just use a little bit, use a good quality one too. I never brush mine through..
    How do you make sure you get even coverage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    I left it for you to finish off :p:

OP: I have never used mousse but try this guide.
    http://www.howtodothings.com/fashion...th-mousse.html
    good link.:yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusufu)
    Will give that a go, thanks.

How do you make sure you get even coverage?
    I dunno, it seems to work for me!

ReputationRep:
    I use it when I rag curl my hair. Put the rag curls in at night with wet hair, then take them out in the morning, give it a quick blowdry if it needs it and put some mousse in to hold the curl.

EDIT: Just realised you are male and would probably not be wanting to rag curl your hair. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    The one piece of advice I can give about that stuff is it sure isn't tasty.
    Dunno why but this made me LOL so hard :p:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.