Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently with British Gas and those clowns are charging me over £200 every month. Yeah, no ****. The only two things I have switched on all day is fridge and alarm clock. Around 12 hrs a day the computer is on, but that's pretty much it. I'm aware prices have risen considerably over the past year, but this is beyond a joke.

I'm not a student in accomodation, I'm talking about my home which is a flat I've rented for several years.

Which company do you guys pay for your electricity? Paying any less than me?

ReputationRep:
    Handy website for comparing here.

ReputationRep:
    What you are paying a month means nothing. Are you taking regular readings? Are you paying of debt? Was your direct debit set considerably lower before?

When you switch you might save at a very maximum (unlikely) 20%. You need to be looking at your usage which involves reading your meter regularly such as about once a month.

When you look online be careful when you see these promised saving as some include a rebate after 12 months or will have fee's if you try and switch before the contract end date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    What you are paying a month means nothing. Are you taking regular readings? Are you paying of debt? Was your direct debit set considerably lower before?

When you switch you might save at a very maximum (unlikely) 20%. You need to be looking at your usage which involves reading your meter regularly such as about once a month.

When you look online be careful when you see these promised saving as some include a rebate after 12 months or will have fee's if you try and switch before the contract end date.
    Thanks, I'll remember that.

And yes, it was lower before. 3-4 years ago I was paying £40 a month and that was okay with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    Thanks, I'll remember that.

And yes, it was lower before. 3-4 years ago I was paying £40 a month and that was okay with them.
    Problem is you could have been paying estimated bills for a long time and your direct debit was covering your estimated usage and now they might have taken an actual reading which not only has created a catch up bill which will mean a debit balance but it will show your usage is higher.

ReputationRep:
    Problem is you could have been paying estimated bills for a long time and your direct debit was covering your estimated usage and now they might have taken an actual reading which not only has created a catch up bill which will mean a debit balance but it will show your usage is higher.

Maybe I should ask them to visit me and give a hands-on test to the meter?

Doubt they'd bother coming round, though. money-grabbing scumbags.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I should ask them to visit me and give a hands-on test to the meter?

Doubt they'd bother coming round, though. money-grabbing scumbags.
    You need to look at your usage first before asking them to come out, they will charge about £70 to check your meter which is it is faulty they will refund after.

But you need to look at your bills first, if you have any more questions please ask.

ReputationRep:
    You need to look at your usage first before asking them to come out, they will charge about £70 to check your meter which is it is faulty they will refund after.

But you need to look at your bills first, if you have any more questions please ask.

I was recording it every day a few months ago. It was about 20kwh used daily. I haven't kept any bills, so I can't look at them

ReputationRep:
    I was recording it every day a few months ago. It was about 20kwh used daily. I haven't kept any bills, so I can't look at them
    20kwh is high but is depends on what you are using. How do you heat your home? Electric heating? (Storage, panel heaters?) or gas?

ReputationRep:
    20kwh is high but is depends on what you are using. How do you heat your home? Electric heating? (Storage, panel heaters?) or gas?

yeah, I have storage heaters. Over the winter months those things were on all day and night so they ran up a £700 bill. But I switched them off since March. See what mean, pal? Something doesn't add up!

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense now why your direct debit is high, electric heating is very expensive and if you were underpaying you are now paying much more to recoup the debt. Because you have storage heaters you should have an economy 7 meter with a day rate and a night rate, are you recording the usage on both rates?

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense now why your direct debit is high, electric heating is very expensive and if you were underpaying you are now paying much more to recoup the debt. Because you have storage heaters you should have an economy 7 meter with a day rate and a night rate, are you recording the usage on both rates?

No, not anymore. But like I said, I haven't put them on since March and I'm still having to pay craploads.

ReputationRep:
    No, not anymore. But like I said, I haven't put them on since March and I'm still having to pay craploads.
    You got rid of economy 7? When? As you really need this operating if you have storage heaters. You need to also check why you are using 20kwh a day with out them as this is very high. Is your hot water constantly on as this will be using a fair amount.

ReputationRep:
    You got rid of economy 7? When? As you really need this operating if you have storage heaters. You need to also check why you are using 20kwh a day with out them as this is very high. Is your hot water constantly on as this will be using a fair amount.
    I don't even know what economy 7 is. I most likely didn't have it to begin with.

That 20kwh was a guess. I honestly don't remember the exact amount. I know it was quite low, anyway. How about 5kwh?

The boiler is on for about 5 hours once every few days to stock up on warm water.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know what economy 7 is. I most likely didn't have it to begin with.

That 20kwh was a guess. I honestly don't remember the exact amount. I know it was quite low, anyway. How about 5kwh?

The boiler is on for about 5 hours once every few days to stock up on warm water.
    No offence but you cannot guess your usage really. Start taking daily/weekly/monthly readings. Find out if you have an economy 7 meter (push a button at the side of the meter and it should bring up rate 1, rate 2 etc).

ReputationRep:
    Are you running an emmersion heater to heat your water? I know you mention the boiler but I had an emmersion heater running along side the boiler , and was not even aware that it was switched on, and those things are very expensive to run, you may wanna check that out!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

What Rian's saying sounds really good. I'm working for a price comparison website for a couple of months atm and I get calls like this all the time. The website I'm working for is ukpower.co.uk n its act really good for these comparisons so if you want to switch away from BG it could be really helpful? If it's a home energy contract you're on they're what's called 28 day rolling contracts meaning you can apply to switch supplier at any time and the longest it will take you to switch is prob til the end fo the month. The fact you're probably on a 28 day rolling contract might also have something to do with what you're paying. If you are not signed up to a fixed rate tariff (usually for 1 year) then your supplier is only obliged to hold the rates you signed up for initially for 28 days and then they can put the prices up, this is how they make their money! We get new prices in everyday so they're constantly changing n its really worth comparing what's out there. The other thing is I'm guessing you signed up to the tariff you're on quite a while ago n when suppliers bring out new tariffs they usually put the rates up on their older tariffs to make people switch.
    Anyway, I'm act trying to put together a page for the website specifically for students and young people in new housing or accomodation to help them compare and avoid things like this happening so any FAQs you can think of that students might ask would be really helpful!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    £200 p/m does sound too high, I don't pay anywhere near that much for my little house. You need to take regular meter readings for a while and check your next invoice to see if they are biling you on actual readings or estimated readings. I would also consider asking for a electricity meter that uses the meter cards, this way you will definately know what you are using. This would depend if you own the property or rent if you rent you will need to check with your landlord as it's their property.

ReputationRep:
    No offence but you cannot guess your usage really. Start taking daily/weekly/monthly readings. Find out if you have an economy 7 meter (push a button at the side of the meter and it should bring up rate 1, rate 2 etc).
    I had a look at the meter. It has 2 rates and a total rate. Between now and the last time we spoke, rate 1 has increased 16kwh and rate 2 just 3kwh.

ReputationRep:
    I had a look at the meter. It has 2 rates and a total rate. Between now and the last time we spoke, rate 1 has increased 16kwh and rate 2 just 3kwh.
    Ok so you have used about 19kwh in the last 24 hours. To give you a comparison I have used 8kwh in the last 24 hours in a 2 bedroom house but:

We were out all day
    The only things using electric are:

*Large fridge/freezer
    *Small fridge
    *30 minutes of hoovering
    *2 TV's on for about 2-3 hours each
    *2 Computer's - 1 on about 5-6 hours and the other about 3-4 hours
    *Oven on about 20-30 minutes
    *2-3 uses of microwave
    *Usual lights - not too many and most on energy saving lightbulbs

So it all really depends on what you use, if your hot water boiler is running 24 hours this could be the cause? If your desperate you could try going 24 hours without hot water to see if it makes a difference to your meter readings.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.