Turn on thread page Beta

Early Morning Run - Breakfast or No Breakfast watch

ReputationRep:
    I've heard SO many contradicting viewpoints on this, it's replaced by old newbie days of wondering whether to do cardio before, or after resistance (after :P).

So I've decided to bore myself every morning by going out and running, because I hate lying in and wasting my summer. The shuffle has some of the worst tunes I know on that will try to give me some enthusiasm, and now I'm just waiting to go to bed before doing a run at 6ish tomorrow.

I've looked on the internet for programmes and I was hoping I'd find one with lots of HIIT in on certain days but there was no joy, so instead I'm doing a 10k plan run in 8 weeks, in time for when I return to uni.

So, I have a 1.5 mile run to do tomorrow. To eat breakfast beforehand or not, that is what I want to know.

What I've generally heard through different people;
    (I guess my main goal is weight loss and getting more fit)

-If you run first thing your body will burn off fat storage and that, and then you eat breakfast when you get back

Whereas others say you should eat breakfast and then run an hour or so after.

I've google'd it and just seem to be going round in circles so just wanted some peoples personal viewpoints as well as if there is any people who know some science about it.

Ta xxxx
    Matt

ReputationRep:
    I personally can't run on an empty stomach, it makes me nauseous, so i always eat breakfast at least an hour before i go running. I find that i run best when i haven't eaten in about two hours sometime in the afternoon :dontknow:. I don't really know the science behind whether you should eat before or not when running in the morning, i'd say its more of a personal preference really..

I've also read & heard that its more "efficient" to run on an empty stomach in terms of weight loss, but if you feel sick because you haven't had breakfast you won't run as far and/or fast so i guess that would make it less "efficient" than running well when you've had breakfast, go figure :p: But if you only run 1.5 miles i don't think you'd necessarily need to have breakfast before if you can manage. If you were running for say over an hour you probably should have breakfast before.

ReputationRep:
    Eat before. Your body will burn it off and then some. You also have to remember that your body needs a little bit of energy to start burning energy, which is another pro of a breakfast (complex carbs of course, cereals and the like). I'd say that it's unlikely that you'd run to your full extent without a decent bit of food inside you, which defeats the point a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I can't eat before I run. Makes me feel nauseous. That being said, I run out of energy very quickly if I haven't eaten that day at all. If you have the time and patience to eat and then wait an hour or so, I'd say that's best.

ReputationRep:
    I eat a couple of hours before. I find that I perform better and my legs aren't as tired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattw89)
    I've heard SO many contradicting viewpoints on this, it's replaced by old newbie days of wondering whether to do cardio before, or after resistance (after :P).

So I've decided to bore myself every morning by going out and running, because I hate lying in and wasting my summer. The shuffle has some of the worst tunes I know on that will try to give me some enthusiasm, and now I'm just waiting to go to bed before doing a run at 6ish tomorrow.

I've looked on the internet for programmes and I was hoping I'd find one with lots of HIIT in on certain days but there was no joy, so instead I'm doing a 10k plan run in 8 weeks, in time for when I return to uni.

So, I have a 1.5 mile run to do tomorrow. To eat breakfast beforehand or not, that is what I want to know.

What I've generally heard through different people;
    (I guess my main goal is weight loss and getting more fit)

-If you run first thing your body will burn off fat storage and that, and then you eat breakfast when you get back

Whereas others say you should eat breakfast and then run an hour or so after.

I've google'd it and just seem to be going round in circles so just wanted some peoples personal viewpoints as well as if there is any people who know some science about it.

Ta xxxx
    Matt
    As you know, eating stimulates your metabolism in a morning. However, as does exercise. If you get out of the door and run a mile and a half, your metabolism should swing into action! I personally find that if I run anything up to 5 miles or so before breakfast, I'm fine. Any further than that and I feel a little underpowered.

For short runs like yours, grabbing breakfast when you get in is going to be perfectly fine, and if it appeals more to roll out of bed and out of the door, then go for it. I personally can't stand getting up, eating, then sitting around waiting until I can go for a run. This is entirely personal preference though, do what works for you - the important thing is you are doing the runs. Fine tuning it is just the last 5%.

ReputationRep:
    i would say it after it, that way it forces the body to use up reserves as there is nothing readily available but i may be wrong on that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    i would say it after it, that way it forces the body to use up reserves as there is nothing readily available but i may be wrong on that
    ...and what happens when you eat afterwards? It gets stored as glycogen and/or fat.

What happens when you eat before? You use glycogen stores for energy which are then replenished by fat stores (ie; gluconeogenesis).

You're no better off either way.

The defining factor here is that most if not all people will be able to work harder and/or for longer if they're fed and/or watered properly, so they're potentially going to gain more from it, maybe by burning more calories, getting fitter, whatever. Also exercising in a fasted state means you have to work at a low intensity to avoid muscle catabolism.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.