Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if that question has already been asked... but when exactly do we start the academic year? is it 21 september?
    im international & i need to buy the plane ticket :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gosza)
    Sorry if that question has already been asked... but when exactly do we start the academic year? is it 21 september?
    I'm pretty sure it is, yep. Not sure if international students have to be there any earlier or not though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gosza)
    Are you planning to attend Orientation Programme?if yes,then it starts from 15th.Im going to attend it,so im off to Manchester on 17th.

Generally,academic year starts a week after freshers week i guess,which is on 21th of September.

ReputationRep:
    well, im not sure about the orientation programme! so the uni starts on 21 and the freshers week starts a week before that?!?!

In the beginning, God created Manchester.

/vaguely relevant

(Actually, ****, I misquoted it!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gosza)
    the year starts on 21th.
    i am an international too, and i want to attend the orientation program, so i will be arriving on 17th (because until the 18th there is nothing important to do ).
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    I am international too.
    The orientation is from 15th - 20th . But the accommodation starts from 17th and 19th for some . Mine starts from 19th and they can not allow me to move in early . So i will miss the orientation. Which is totaly crap and shows communication gap bettwen accommodation and international office. How are international students who are coming to manchester for first time suppose to attend orientation if they can not be given early accommodation ?

ReputationRep:
    so, when do we enroll for classes and stuff? get our student id etc?

ReputationRep:
    You will need to go through the tedious and long registration process some day during Freshers' week to pick up your student ID/library card. You will be able to enroll for classes on the student services system online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omega_001)
    I am international too.
    The orientation is from 15th - 20th . But the accommodation starts from 17th and 19th for some . Mine starts from 19th and they can not allow me to move in early . So i will miss the orientation. Which is totaly crap and shows communication gap bettwen accommodation and international office. How are international students who are coming to manchester for first time suppose to attend orientation if they can not be given early accommodation ?
    Generally they arrange something with the halls to stay a couple of days before it starts (as you noticed, it doesn't always work, so get a hotel/hostel). Tbh, Orientation was the most useless thing ever. Unless you don't actually know how to cross a pedestrian crossing, I didn't find there were anything relevant to International life in Manc. The only thing you need to know is that there's an International Society, that it gives loads of free food the first month and that's about it, you can work the rest out by yourself. Plus it's a bit dead until English students arrive in Mancland :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Generally they arrange something with the halls to stay a couple of days before it starts (as you noticed, it doesn't always work, so get a hotel/hostel). Tbh, Orientation was the most useless thing ever. Unless you don't actually know how to cross a pedestrian crossing, I didn't find there were anything relevant to International life in Manc. The only thing you need to know is that there's an International Society, that it gives loads of free food the first month and that's about it, you can work the rest out by yourself. Plus it's a bit dead until English students arrive in Mancland :holmes:
    oooh! free food?? i like that! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I think for people coming to the MBS the uni (incl. orientation) DOES start one 21 september

ReputationRep:
    I was looking at the orientation schedule on the website and they've scheduled supermarket tours. I've been to Manchester a couple times in the last few years and orientation seems to be a little drab. The only thing international students have to do is register with the police and everything. So I guess if I miss orientation I wont be too worried. By the way things are going, I doubt I'd be able to make it anyway. I mean I havent even started my visa process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undertaky)
    I was looking at the orientation schedule on the website and they've scheduled supermarket tours. I've been to Manchester a couple times in the last few years and orientation seems to be a little drab. The only thing international students have to do is register with the police and everything. So I guess if I miss orientation I wont be too worried. By the way things are going, I doubt I'd be able to make it anyway. I mean I havent even started my visa process
    Hahahahahaha, the supermarket tour is awesome. You go on a giant tourbus to the nearest Asda and get food or bed stuff or whatever you need.

ReputationRep:
    Supermarket tour!? I didn't know they don't have supermarkets abroad.

ReputationRep:
    21st is freshers week, the actual lectures etc start the monday after. Enrolment occurs in freshers week, beware when you go they take the photo for your uni ID card, i didn't know this and turned up rough = now an AWFUL photo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckieee)
    21st is freshers week, the actual lectures etc start the monday after. Enrolment occurs in freshers week, beware when you go they take the photo for your uni ID card, i didn't know this and turned up rough = now an AWFUL photo!
    Oh yeah, that. I could barely open my eyes when they took the pic :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    When are offers for halls supposed to come out?

Is it after the results (i.e. thursday) because alot of people on here seem to already know where theyre in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cimanche)
    When are offers for halls supposed to come out?

Is it after the results (i.e. thursday) because alot of people on here seem to already know where theyre in...
    It depends, I got mine reaaaaally late, some got them way earlier, but in general, in the next two weeks after exam results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    Oh yeah, that. I could barely open my eyes when they took the pic :holmes:

Me too, i look asleep and nothing like me haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.