Wetherspoons monday club is your best friend. 1.50 a pint

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes: ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lordzola)
    Wetherspoons monday club is your best friend. 1.50 a pint
    Dry Dock tuesdays in leeds, £1 a pint :yes: even better.

Anyway, £40 is easily enough, I'm currently trying to live on about £20 a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    :rolleyes: ?
    Of course it's different things for different people, but going to uni and not drinking is not my idea of fun. Hence the :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As I say, incredible. I could probably have spent up to, meh, £250+ a week? I'm overly organised with my money though (not so much now, but at university especially) and even I couldn't get down that cheap. I think I'd have died eating noodles all the time; oh, and I didn't like cola whilst at university either. :p:
    Well I'm taking the plunge this year. Getting a £3,000 overdraft, £915 student loan from SAAS and about £2,000 from the rents. That'll give me like £6,000 for the last 2 years of university[per year] and I know that makes me sound spoiled. But I wanted to basically die living on stale bread bought at 11.30 pm from tesco and 17p cola. ^_^

Of course it's different things for different people, but going to uni and not drinking is not my idea of fun. Hence the :rolleyes:
    Sometimes it's not a case of don't want to drink, but CAN'T drink. Like if you get absolutely legless and spent £200 in one night then that's 4 weeks budget gone and you need to cut back for a while. :puppyeyes: It's a sad truth.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no longer a student and in a well-paid, full-time job. Excluding rent & utility bills, my boyfriend and I live on probably nearer £20 per week, for the two of us! I cook a proper meal every evening using fresh ingredients and we both take packed lunches to work. This isn't because of a lack of money, but rather because I'd rather save money for something important like a house than drink it away. So £40 a week for one person should be more than enough and I don't think you should be complaining about the student finance system.

ReputationRep:
    I see. Fair enough. I thought maybe I'd missed something somewhere and confused myself. :p:

ReputationRep:
    You may have heard of these things called jobs. Students can get jobs and work 'part time', this is working with hours around your Uni studies. Part time jobs allow one to top up their income. Some part time jobs pay very well, others don't. Sometimes part time jobs are hard to come by, but looking is a start. A part time job is found by handing out CVs or filling in job application forms from store such as Next. Next is a clothes shop for you information.

So, we have learnt, £40, plus income from a part time job is good.

Now we can move further. There are these things called 'banks', banks have 'overdrafts'. A student bank account usually has 0% interest for a few years. So you can borrow money from them and return it when you need to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    But I wanted to basically die living on stale bread bought at 11.30 pm from tesco and 17p cola. ^_^
    I can imagine. I didn't mind chicken nuggets, sausages, burgers, pizza and chips so much, but stale bread and cheap cola? Pushing the limits a little...

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine. I didn't mind chicken nuggets, sausages, burgers, pizza and chips so much, but stale bread and cheap cola? Pushing the limits a little...
    You're damn right But then you get drunk on your tesco own-brand vodka and the stale bread worries fizzle away lol.

ReputationRep:
    You're damn right But then you get drunk on your tesco own-brand vodka and the stale bread worries fizzle away lol.
    :rofl: With Skittles?

ReputationRep:
    get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terryw)
    You may have heard of these things called jobs. Students can get jobs and work 'part time', this is working with hours around your Uni studies. Part time jobs allow one to top up their income. Some part time jobs pay very well, others don't. Sometimes part time jobs are hard to come by, but looking is a start. A part time job is found by handing out CVs or filling in job application forms from store such as Next. Next is a clothes shop for you information.

So, we have learnt, £40, plus income from a part time job is good.

Now we can move further. There are these things called 'banks', banks have 'overdrafts'. A student bank account usually has 0% interest for a few years. So you can borrow money from them and return it when you need to.
    pmsl :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm taking the plunge this year. Getting a £3,000 overdraft, £915 student loan from SAAS and about £2,000 from the rents. That'll give me like £6,000 for the last 2 years of university[per year] and I know that makes me sound spoiled. But I wanted to basically die living on stale bread bought at 11.30 pm from tesco and 17p cola. ^_^

Sometimes it's not a case of don't want to drink, but CAN'T drink. Like if you get absolutely legless and spent £200 in one night then that's 4 weeks budget gone and you need to cut back for a while. :puppyeyes: It's a sad truth.
    That would be a rather wreckless thing to do. Yeah I know what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t get normal holidays, I also have 45 weeks a year because my course is normally taught in 4 years, but my university teach it in 3 years. So it’s very intense apparently!

To be honest I’m not that fussed about drinking, I kinda feel like I’ve grown out of blowing all my money on alcohol and getting wasted and can quite happily not drink all together.

To Jelly Bean Jen – that’s actually a really good idea, my university is right next to Derriford (the big hospital in Plymouth) so I could get a job there, even if it is cleaning!

Becs in Bath – that’s really good! I’m hoping to move in with my boyfriend and his brother in my second and third year so I suppose cooking for 3 might be a little more cost effective (as food won’t have to last as long).

Terry W – I’ve had the same part time job since I was 14, so don’t lecture me on how to get one thanks :P I work very very very hard for my money!!

ReputationRep:
    Easy.
    10p tesco value noodles.

Godsend, I swear.

As for the rest, no clue.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've just left S6 and I spent the second half of the year on £10 a week and £5 a week for a couple of years before That I didn't drink much but got by pretty well. Had a decent social life anyway so I wouldn't be worrying about only £40 a week even if thats for food as well.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: With Skittles?
    or 17p cola. :yes: Student nights in clubs are also god sends. £1 a drink, yes please

That would be a rather wreckless thing to do. Yeah I know what you mean.
    Yea but I'm probably looking at £400 a month for rent, but I won't be living there during summer so I'll probably spend £3200-3600 on rent. Then the rest on actualy living, clothes etc.

ReputationRep:
    £40 is easy. not including rent

£5 on the lecy metre
    £2.60 a week virgin media
    £3.25 a week water
    £3.25 a week water

= £26.
    £6 food
    £20 for 2 nights out and 1 night in.

however yes, overdraft, job if you are friends with your digestive systems.

ReputationRep:
    or 17p cola. :yes: Student nights in clubs are also god sends. £1 a drink, yes please

Yea but I'm probably looking at £400 a month for rent, but I won't be living there during summer so I'll probably spend £3200-3600 on rent. Then the rest on actualy living, clothes etc.
    Kewl, fairplay. So are you renting a place with friends?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.