Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    tbh £40 sounds good to me

but ye the whole finance system majorly sucks, but hey thats life i spose

ReputationRep:
    Why did you divide by 52?

It's to till you over during term times. Factor out 12 weeks for your summer - where you get a job y'know - then you got nearer £60 a week.

Melodramatic.

You're not allowed to work out the maths for any dosages of medicine I may need.

(but good luck getting a job in North Devon if it's anything like East Devon).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    Kewl, fairplay. So are you renting a place with friends?
    Yea, will be. In Glasgow, then getting a train (about 5 minutes) to university. Although, with the people I'm living with I can see there being a lot of lectures being attended extremely hung over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rule Britannia)
    Why did you divide by 52?

It's to till you over during term times. Factor out 12 weeks for your summer - where you get a job y'know - then you got nearer £60 a week.

Melodramatic.

You're not allowed to work out the maths for any dosages of medicine I may need.
    Because I might not be able to move back home after I finish my first year, for personal reasons. So I think you shouldn't judge before you know the full story, right?

Pfft I cannot believe how judgemental some people on this website are!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    Yea, will be. In Glasgow, then getting a train (about 5 minutes) to university. Although, with the people I'm living with I can see there being a lot of lectures being attended extremely hung over.
    haha, sounds like you're gonna enjoy yourself :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalcomNewMoney84)
    haha, sounds like you're gonna enjoy yourself :woo:
    I get to enjoy myself with money I don't have :mmm:. Gonna be less fun paying it back though :sad: ahh well. Such is student life eh.

ReputationRep:
    £40 a week in plenty of money I used to live off half of that and I know others who lived on a quarter of it.

ReputationRep:
    £40 a week is plenty. I've lived off that for the last 2 years at uni.

ReputationRep:
    My loan isn't enough to cover my accomodation costs, so thank christ I've got money saved up in the bank. Hopefully I'll manage to get a job somewhere too. All in all I think I'll be alright living of £40/ week. I don't smoke, I rarely drink, I'm quite happy having 10p noodles or 40p soup for lunch and £1 pizzas or cheap pasta for dinner, I've got a pay as you go sim which I top up £10 every month or two.... :dontknow: I live a simple life :p:

ReputationRep:
    More than I live on by a fair way.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    get a job, simple as most people will get a job at uni, you are lucky that you have a bursary since you will end up with a lot less debt at the end of it i will end up with about 30k worth of debt with hardly a penny from the goverment and no my parents will not be supporting me, with rent i'll be left with £40 a week, my answer, get a job (FT before uni and save) and a job at uni.

[/thread]

ReputationRep:
    £40 sounds fine to me if that's excluding rent, and especially excluding food! Have you had EMA this year if your parents are on low income, have you been able to save any of that?

ReputationRep:
    asda smart price:sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    When living in halls for my first year the first time I went to uni I managed to get by very well on £50 a week. I used my loan and grant to pay the rent, etc... Then my parents would give me £50 a week. On the day that I got it, I'd go into Tescos, buy a loaf or two of Tesco Value white bread, a couple of Value frozen mini pizzas, a packet of pepperoni to put on the pizzas and a couple of large bottles of Pepsi. I'd then go to the tobacco counter and buy 100 Marlboro Lights to last the week, and I would then 'treat' myself to a KFC burger and chips, and I'd carry this all back from Bethnal Green High Street to my flat in halls. It's a wonder the bags only split a couple of times...

I also managed to go out clubbing at least four times a week. I managed to spend at most usually a fiver each time to get in and on a single pint, then would drink coke or water the rest of the night. And for most of clubs I got to know the DJ's so I wouldn't need to use the cloakroom (stash the coat in the DJ booth), and a couple I managed to get them to put me on the guest-list, so didn't even need to pay to get in...

This was ten years ago though, so I didn't have things like a mobile contract to worry about, just those call card thingies. Also take into account that I did spend pretty much half my money each week on cigarettes, sometimes more than half if the 100 didn't last... So really, if you take that out then I managed to have a good social life by getting to know DJ's and basically living off toast and frozen pizzas for just £20 a week. I was ill quite a lot though, and by going out a lot I did muck up my course something chronic. Was a hell of a lot of fun though, just make sure you've got enough cash left at the end of the night for a nightbus, and if you're lucky the tube the next day...

ReputationRep:
    The obvious point is "try and find a job" - although that does make it sounds easier than it is. Get up there in August - local businesses deliberately advertise jobs just before the academic year to avoid too many students who just want term-time jobs. Make it clear in applications that you are willing to work holidays etc.

£40 is do-able if it's after rent. Food can be done for £10 a week if you share meals with at least one friend (Myself and my girlfriend spend about £20-25 between us, with a few small luxuries), travel costs will make up a fair amount of the rest, and the remainder goes on nights out. Firstly, work on the "drink at home first" principle - it's far cheaper. Secondly, all trips to the bar should contain the phrase "whatever's cheapest".

You won't be going mental on nights out on that sort of money, but I promise that you won't be worse off than most students. As long as your pride can take Asda Smartprice/Tesco Value or whatever-supermarket-you-choose own brand, you'll be fine. It's surprising how cheaply you can live when you need to.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived on £40 pw this year, its been relatively easy.

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing nursing, maybe it'd be a good idea to contact the local health authority to see if you can get on the bank nurse list? That's what an ex of mine did during Uni. There was always plenty of work for her.

As for budgeting for food, well, that should be quite easy. Traipse round all the local supermarkets and buy things which are on special that week. The only thing which tends to be expensive is meat, but as long as you're not fussed about eating battery chickens, then you can make something like that go a long way for just a couple of quid.

ReputationRep:
    I've gotta live off around the same amount after rent. I don't think it'll be too bad, just hope i'll have some pennies left to go out with :p:

ReputationRep:
    £40 a week is loads. Loads.

ReputationRep:
    That guy above wasn't being "judgemental" asking why you divided by 52 I don't think... Just mearly stating that you may have made a mistake and you were better off than you thought, as most rents last only 40 weeks of the year.

Buy bulk foods, cook a batch and freeze some/have it for lunch day after. Get a prt time job, beg, borrow, steal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.