Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, after discovering that i'm not the only 26 year old off to Durham in October I was just wondering how many of us there are who are in the 25+ age group planning on starting a postgrad course. What college, course, previous uni etc... Bit of an AA style group lol.

I'll start, I'll be reading a Grad Diploma in Theology and Religion and I'll be in Castle, living in Brackenbury. My undergrad degree was Ancient History and Egyptology from Swansea.

ReputationRep:
    MA Medieval and Renaissance Literary Studies, St Chad's, currently live in Virginia, USA. Undergrad degree: BA English, Mary Baldwin College, Staunton, Virginia, USA.

ReputationRep:
    MA in Management, Ustinov, I am from Hong Kong Undergrad degree: BA Accountancy, HKPU

Should we form a "old student study group"? haha...

ReputationRep:
    Looks like there might only be three of us.

ReputationRep:
    Four! There's four! St Chads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel15)
    Four! There's four! St Chads
    Cool, what course are you doing? Where did you do your undergrad degree?

ReputationRep:
    Does there have to be the age restriction? I'm only 21, but haven't spoken to many other potential Durham postgrads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    Cool, what course are you doing? Where did you do your undergrad degree?
    Oh yeah sorry. Master of Social Work (I know, your thinking...why?? haha). I did my undergraduate at teesside focusing on the deliquents of society. I shall be living in Trinity Hall when I move in to Durham which I am looking forward to v.much and I will be 26 in November :-(

ReputationRep:
    You guys are making me feel young! (meant in the best possible way)

I never realised but I guess starting a PhD at 21 is a bit young ?

(p.s. Sorry for stealing the thread)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicholas Urfe)
    Does there have to be the age restriction? I'm only 21, but haven't spoken to many other potential Durham postgrads.
    Not really, i was just a bit concerned that i was the only postgrad who hadn't gone straight from school to uni then onto a postgrad course. What will you be reading? Which college will you be in?

ReputationRep:
    hi yes im in the same boat what college have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    Not really, i was just a bit concerned that i was the only postgrad who hadn't gone straight from school to uni then onto a postgrad course. What will you be reading? Which college will you be in?
    From what I gather on TSR, it's probably less common for someone like me to go straight on to postgrad at 21. Ages seem to vary a lot on postgrad courses, so I definitely wouldn't worry.

(Original post by epoch)
    hi yes im in the same boat what college have you applied to?
    I'm studying for an MA in English. I have a place at Ustinov, but won't be living there (sadly). How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Well at the moment I dont know where I'll be as St Chad's has not offered me a room but I have an accomodation guarantee.

Im to do a PhD in Earth Sciences this September

ReputationRep:

I'm studying for an MA in English. I have a place at Ustinov, but won't be living there (sadly). How about you?
    Hurray! Another English lit person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverswan)
    Hurray! Another English lit person.
    Cool! :yes: So you're taking the Medieval/Renaissance route? Where do your particular interests lie? I'm just doing general 'Literary Studies', because my interests are too broad at present. And I'm horribly indecisive. In fact, I even changed one of my module choices yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    OOooooo a gang! Can I join too? I fit the criteria: am 26+, starting a PhD at Durham in September.

I'm from Canada, and wandered across this site trying to find some general info on Durham--seems as I'll find myself there in just a few months! I'll be saying at Ustinov, and will be reading for geography.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like there are a few of us now. Alot of international students too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canuckle)
    OOooooo a gang!
    I'm from Canada, and wandered across this site trying to find some general info on Durham--seems as I'll find myself there in just a few months! I'll be saying at Ustinov, and will be reading for geography.
    Nice! Human or Physical? (I know that is broad but im a Geologist!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canuckle)
    OOooooo a gang! Can I join too? I fit the criteria: am 26+, starting a PhD at Durham in September.

Welcome! Nice to meet you and I'll living in Ustinov 2!
    Geography is wonderful.... forgot almost all the things about it except for the term "plate tectonic"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pipsi)
    Seems like there are a few of us now. Alot of international students too.
    Maybe this should be like a Postgraduate Durham TSR thread!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.