Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    See that's the thing - there is no such thing as "bulking up" for me. It's either: starting a strict bodybuilding routine or get chubby. No amount of food is going to make me wider, my frame is just narrow.
    Not true bub, it is quite simple to bulk up without having the bodybuilder appearance, you don't have to delve into the strange egg smelling narcissistic world that is the fake tan shaven chest brigade to pack on a few lbs in decent mass.

And despite your description placing you as an ectomorph it is still possible for ectos to gain some mass to look more filled out.

Here is an example of famous ecto (narrow shoulders, narrow waist, long limbs etc) you will never carry a lot of body fat being ecto so maintaining the bullcrap term ‘toned’ will be easy for you.
    http://www.poolparty.com/quotes/imag...pitt_chest.jpg

PM me if you want any structured advice on training and clean bulking diets

ReputationRep:
    I don't fancy skinny guys usually. I wouldn't write you off just for being skinny though. It's a matter of personal opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Not true bub, it is quite simple to bulk up without having the bodybuilder appearance, you don't have to delve into the strange egg smelling narcissistic world that is the fake tan shaven chest brigade to pack on a few lbs in decent mass.

And despite your description placing you as an ectomorph it is still possible for ectos to gain some mass to look more filled out.

Here is an example of famous ecto (narrow shoulders, narrow waist, long limbs etc) you will never carry a lot of body fat being ecto so maintaining the bullcrap term ‘toned’ will be easy for you.
    http://www.poolparty.com/quotes/imag...pitt_chest.jpg

PM me if you want any structured advice on training and clean bulking diets
    Not OP, but I am slim.. just wondering, are chin ups beneficial at all for ectos?

ReputationRep:
    i love skinny guys

ReputationRep:
    Turn off defo.
    But thats just 1 persons opinion...
    If you don't like it go to the gym

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete please.

I'm quite a slim guy - I'm about 5ft 10 / 11 and I weigh a few pounds under 10 stone. It's not that I'm horribly under weight, I just have a relatively small frame. It has kinda' been getting to me recently however.

Without blowing my own trumpet (and this is anon so it doesn't matter anyway) I know I'm good looking face wise as I have always had decent interest from girls and had a 2 year relationship. I'm going to uni however and I'm a bit worried that girls will kinda' write me off for being quite thin.

How much does it matter? I'm not ratty or pathetic looking, but today a girl said to me, "You're just flesh and bone" and it really didn't feel good. I'm SOO fed up people telling me to put on weight, you'd never tell a fat person to lose weight would you? If I put on weight I would just be chubby because my body is naturally like this!

I know not all girls want a self-absorbed rugby player but I just need to know how much it matters. Girls always tell me that I'm a "cutie", just getting a bit fed up with it.

There will always be girls who love the skinnier guys. You just can't expect to find one where ever you go. There will be some at uni, but you might not find them straight away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Another one blaming it on the metabolism. :rolleyes:

No metabolism is that fast. Start eating.

OP. Do the above and maybe begin hitting the weights a couple times a week. Problem solved.
    blaming it on the metabolism? I probaly eat more in 3 days than you eat in a week? i play football 4 nights a week and go to the gym 3 times a week, your entitled to your opinion but you don't know me

ReputationRep:
    I used to be skinny but then i fond food but who cares really I am the strongst guy on the planet and I don't have to work for a living so its fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANON3987)
    blaming it on the metabolism? I probaly eat more in 3 days than you eat in a week? i play football 4 nights a week and go to the gym 3 times a week, your entitled to your opinion but you don't know me
    Lol, actually, I have an exceedingly fast metabolism, so that's quite a statement you're making.

Football = cardio = burning calories. Makes it that little bit harder.

I never said I know you.

How about slim and broad? I'm 5'11", 9 1/2 stone, and I'm 42" around the chest, 27" waist. I sometimes wonder if Someone was having a laugh when He made me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Lol, actually, I have an exceedingly fast metabolism, so that's quite a statement you're making.

Football = cardio = burning calories. Makes it that little bit harder.

I never said I know you.
    exactly you also have an exceedingly fast metabolism which was my original statement that I too have a fast metabolism, and as someone who I take it does sports you should know it's not easy for someone who does alot of physical activities to gain weight, I suppose I could just sit on the sofa and eat dominos... :eating:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    How about slim and broad? I'm 5'11", 9 1/2 stone, and I'm 42" around the chest, 27" waist. I sometimes wonder if Someone was having a laugh when He made me.

42 around the chest at that height is not very broad to be honest. its fa from tiny though, you will probably fill out as you get a wee bit more physically mature, we are not really men until we hit abou 27-30

(Original post by Powerlifter)
    42 around the chest at that height is not very broad to be honest. its fa from tiny though, you will probably fill out as you get a wee bit more physically mature, we are not really men until we hit abou 27-30
    That's what makes me think - my dad used to do some matrial arts (karate and tae kwon do, I think), and with his training he went from 38" to 42". At 52 now, he's about 44", which makes me think that if I was to do the same, I'd probably be the same, fill out and become more and more broad as I get older.

What is the average chest measurement for someone of about 5'11", then?

ReputationRep:
    If the guy is too thin, then yes it is a turn off. I prefer meat on the bone. A friend of ine goes fro really skinny guys, I mean if they were girls some peoplem m ight called them anorexic.

I know it all depends on the height and if you have a fast metobolism etc. But I prefer a guy who has a bit of muscle/fat on them.

I suppose you generally mirror what you are yourself, to what you find attractive. I have meat on me, and I find the same thigns attractive on a guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    That's what makes me think - my dad used to do some matrial arts (karate and tae kwon do, I think), and with his training he went from 38" to 42". At 52 now, he's about 44", which makes me think that if I was to do the same, I'd probably be the same, fill out and become more and more broad as I get older.

What is the average chest measurement for someone of about 5'11", then?
    Not sure for 5'11 specifically, average for the UK is 43 apparently (according to google of 42.8 specifically).

You will probably bulk up somewhat but it does depend on your somatotype (basically if your skeletal structure can carry much mass along with your own biological tendancies to gain mass)

ReputationRep:
    Go on then, what would you reckon an average calorific day for you is?
    Because I'm 14 stone, and the reason for that is that I eat far more than people who weigh 10-11 stone.
    If you find it hard to gain weight, just start drinking whole milk, it's fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 6ft 1 and around 9 stone. I'm worried because I'm 16 and I eat a lot but due to my high metabolism and exercise regime I never put on weight. Even though I have big meals (I mean around 3 plates of something) I tend to lose weight when I measure myself a few days later.

I wish I could be the ideal weight by which I mean 18.5 on the BMI thing.
    Snap. Used to do weights and exercise too, but I just got even skinnier sI stopped.
    Am 6"3 and weight about 9 1/4 stone. I worked it out that I eat something around 4000 calories a day! Where does it go!?

ReputationRep:
    Don't often get into convos with girls on what they like in blokes as thats what Gays do.But from when I've had a missus and she's had mates over and overheard them talking about blokes at work or college , they don't like skinny blokes not so much because they are unattractive but they want to feel small, cute and feminine and a skinny guy would make them feel like pie munchers.Not only that it might make them view themselves as porky more so than if they had a beefier bloke. I think it's similar to girls wanting tall guys , they want to be smaller than their boyfriend. Doesn't mean they want fat men or gym rats ,just not rakes.

These are girls in their early-mid twenties though and not arty farty veggie eaters. Who might prefer skinnier men .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Go on then, what would you reckon an average calorific day for you is?
    Because I'm 14 stone, and the reason for that is that I eat far more than people who weigh 10-11 stone.
    If you find it hard to gain weight, just start drinking whole milk, it's fantastic.
    hmmmm dunno how many calories are in certain things but ill give you an example of things I eat and you can tell me! whole milk .... that's blue lid right? hmmm an average day

come into work wait 30 mins or so 2 sausage sandwitches a actimel and a bag of macoys crisps and a pac of strawberry bonbons then for lunch depends... ive had a pizza before then still been hungry and had another one like 12" pizzas... in work i probaly have like cottage pie... with jelly for desert and a can of coke... then in the afternoon maybe a bag of crisps and a choclate bar + drink ... then when i get home... chips and beans with sausages? or cottage pie with beans... or pasta..... and i occasionaly get snacks like mr kipling cherry bakewells poptarts etc.... but not really that often anymore... that's about average... some times i eat more sometimes less, and i do protein poweder after gym sessions I weighed myself today on one of those bmi/fat machine things and by weight was 11stone 10 which apparently is my ideal weight im 6ft2 by fat index is 10.9% and by bmi is 20.5 dunno what all that means exept for weight and height... i wanna know about how many calories is average for a male of 21 and aroudn how mutch here... obviously i don't eat this every day but majority of it stays same!

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm dunno how many calories are in certain things but ill give you an example of things I eat and you can tell me! whole milk .... that's blue lid right? hmmm an average day

come into work wait 30 mins or so 2 sausage sandwitches a actimel and a bag of macoys crisps and a pac of strawberry bonbons then for lunch depends... ive had a pizza before then still been hungry and had another one like 12" pizzas... in work i probaly have like cottage pie... with jelly for desert and a can of coke... then in the afternoon maybe a bag of crisps and a choclate bar + drink ... then when i get home... chips and beans with sausages? or cottage pie with beans... or pasta..... and i occasionaly get snacks like mr kipling cherry bakewells poptarts etc.... but not really that often anymore... that's about average... some times i eat more sometimes less, and i do protein poweder after gym sessions I weighed myself today on one of those bmi/fat machine things and by weight was 11stone 10 which apparently is my ideal weight im 6ft2 by fat index is 10.9% and by bmi is 20.5
    Whole milk is blue lid, yes.
    I tend to get through 4 pints in about 2 days(mainly because it tastes fantastic), and thats an easy 1000 calories as I recall.
    And yeah, you eat a bit, but not all that much.
    When I got home yesterday, I had a snack before bed, and that was a block of cheese, most of a pack of salami, a bag of crisps, and an apple.
    So I think my message is still, if you wanna be bigger, eat more.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.