Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellynubbin)
    I don't like a guy who is skinnier than me, purely because it makes me feel huge, and I'm not.
    I don't mind slim, just not tiny!
    :ditto:

(Original post by Powerlifter)
    Not sure for 5'11 specifically, average for the UK is 43 apparently (according to google of 42.8 specifically).

You will probably bulk up somewhat but it does depend on your somatotype (basically if your skeletal structure can carry much mass along with your own biological tendancies to gain mass)
    You do surprise me... I've always been told I'm very broad - but then I suppose I am in comparison with my build.

I suppose I'd better start training - I might even take one of my mates up and start paying rugby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    You do surprise me... I've always been told I'm very broad - but then I suppose I am in comparison with my build.

I suppose I'd better start training - I might even take one of my mates up and start paying rugby.

it will depend on who you associate with too, for example next to myslf with a 53 inch chest you will look tiny, I too look tiny nexct to my freidn Nathan who ios 6'5 and 25stone strongman so its probably all relative

ReputationRep:
    haha
    People always disagree on metabolisms
    I have at least 12 weetabix a day (spread over 2 meals - breakfast and what I call a 'night' breakfast) as well as lunch and dinner. So 4 meals a day :yes:
    Im 5'11 and 10st 3lb, and dont have any fat (body fat index of 3.9% last time i checked)
    So I'm not quite sure how I my metabolism works (?)

ReputationRep:
    errr 3.9% you might wanna get that checked unless u spend all day and every day working out, because unless you look like bruce lee who had a 5% fat index. So unless you look like bruce lee i think you may be slightly off...
    http://www.hybridmartialart.com/Inst...%20Lee-JKD.jpg

ReputationRep:
    a definate turn off!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cannyeinstein)
    haha
    I have at least 12 weetabix a day (spread over 2 meals - breakfast and what I call a 'night' breakfast) as well as lunch and dinner. So 4 meals a day :yes:
    Im 5'11 and 10st 3lb, and dont have any fat (body fat index of 3.9% last time i checked)
    Lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cannyeinstein)
    haha
    3.9% is dangerously low and if it's true, you must have 8 pack abs that are visible through walls.

It's more likely 10%ish.

ReputationRep:
    i'm 6feet and 10 stone
    apparently its just inside the 'normal' weight
    no amount of eating, exercise, inactivity or any combination of them has helped me fill out

endlessly get told i should gain weight, or i'm a lanky b****** (in good humour)
    i'm just gotten tired of it and not bothered anymore
    i am the way i am
    plus from all the swimming i used to do i THINK (not sure) i'm slightly toned

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry.
    Girls like different things in guys, and it's more about how you are as a person, how you act which is important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icn06)
    Yeah the big problem with that is that many girls are self conscious themselves and trying to get/feel slim...so when a guy comes around and only weighs a few pounds more than her it's a bit distressing. We like to feel feminine and if a guy is only a stone or less heavier it's hard to feel that way.

Lucky for you at the end of the day girls tend to just be with whoever they like, preferences aside.
    Ahh, I couldn't agree more ♥

Really, I would say the main problem is that a lot of girls, whether they're attracted or not to "slim" guys, are overly conscious of their own appearance/weight, and having a boyfriend that's skinner than them can be a blow to their ego. Certainly it's the case for me, even though personally I think slim guys are sexy as hell. I'm very self-conscious of my appearance, and even, say, if I liked a guy that was slim, I would be waay too scared to flirt because I'd be thinking that he'd never be attracted to someone slightly bigger than him.

But, hey, maybe that's just me~ And do bear in mind that it is a turnoff for some girls. But then, so is facial hair, or pudginess, or a lot of other things. It honestly depends on the person.

Oh, and another thing to remember is that girls really do take personality into consideration. And, if you've already been in a two year relationship, I'm sure you've got a lovely personality!

Personally, I don't think you should bulk up at all. It'll happen naturally, or it won't, and eventually you'll learn to accept it. Instead, try to bear in mind that some girls might be put off not because they don't find you attractive, but because they think you won't find them attractive. I have a guy friend who's as skinny or skinnier than you (though he's taller, admittedly), and though at first my girl friends were really shy around him, as soon we found out that he wasn't necessarily only attracted to slim girls, he was hot stuff. I suppose if you really don't like girls who are bigger than you, this doesn't apply. Oh well! Compliments not only make you seem a really sweet person, but they also can help reduce any anxiety the other party could have. ♥ And at the very least, they could convince someone who wasn't at first attracted to you that you're totally worth it because you're so gentle.

Oh hell, and if all else fails, moves to Japan. I grew up there, and they have some of the sexiest, skinniest men alive. You'll feel right at home. Unfortunately a UK girl's size 10 there can feel huuugeee :'(

Obviously everything I've said is based on my own personal experiences and opinions, so I hope no one will start bashing me for something they feel is unjust or incorrect. ♥

ReputationRep:
    Bigger guys ftw :coma: Not fat, not bulked, not overly toned, just a relatively well-built frame and a healthy body fat percentage.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had problems, I'm 6"2 and 10 and a half - 11 and a half stone (varies). It's about confidence, as I'm sure you're aware.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, I'm 5ft11" and a bit above 12 stone but I still look fairly skinny. Chest is 41-42", arms are 14.5-5" flexed, so I'm obviously not big but I have mates who are like 2 stone lighter and they look bigger than me. I've probably got a bf% of 18% so I'm skinnyfat at the moment, but don't want to cut yet because if I do right now then I'll just be a skinny ******* again.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are. Now have a cheeseburger and STFU.

ReputationRep:
    ^ agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Yes they are. Now have a cheeseburger and STFU.

If you wouldnt mind, could you buy me the cheeseburger - a double cheese from McDonalds if its not too much trouble

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    If you wouldnt mind, could you buy me the cheeseburger - a double cheese from McDonalds if its not too much trouble
    Provided you STFU, deal.

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily find it a turn off, but because I'm not super slim myself (size 12), I'd think it'd be a little weird, and maybe that they wouldn't be attracted to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    Provided you STFU, deal.
    If i'm trying to stuff a double cheeseburger down my skinny frame, i doubt i'd be able to talk
    you might even be lucky - i could choke on it, that way i stay STFU forever

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.