Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am hoping to go to university to study Accounting and Finance next year. I am not entirely sure which university would be suitable and was hoping I could get some advice.

I’m near completion of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountant’s (ACCA) technician course – Certified Accounting Technician (CAT). The course allows exemption from the first three foundation papers of ACCA – F1, F2 and F3, a Level 4 Certificate in Accounting, is recognised by national qualifications framework (NQF) and also has an equivalency to A levels.

After completing the CAT qualification I was going to finish the ACCA programme along side working but then later decided I wanted to do a degree and experience university.

I have over three years relevant practical work experience in an accounting environment. I would really like to go down the tax or forensic accounting route.

I’m looking to go to a university that is respected by employers, in the city in the north of the UK.

Looking through the various courses provided by the universities, is there a difference between the Accounting BA / BSc and Accounting and Finance BA / BSc honours? Which universities allow the most exemptions from ACA and ACCA? I know that some would allow a direct entry to year two but how does the marking scheme work – is it just based on the work produced in two years?

Finally, as you can become an accountant without going to university, do employers really care about which university you graduate from?

Any suggestions or advice would be really appreciated.

By in the city do you mean a university in the city or do you mean the city as in financial institutions in London?

Is your 3 years recognised by the ACCA? i.e. would it or part of it count as practical experience for the full ACCA qualification?

Generally the difference would be in straight accounting you would do more accounting subjects in acc and finance you would have some finance modules in place of accounting modules - both are good degrees really depends which modules you want to do

For exemptions you would need to check the institutes websites to find out - you mention ACA do you want to do this? (considering you are already part way through ACCA)

Sorry what do you mean direct entry to year 2?

Yes they do, they look for the other transferrable skills that you can pick up from university though which uni it was isn't too important

anyway if you want do ACA this course is good:

Guaranteed paid work placements with PwC take place in years two, three and four. They give you the opportunity to apply the theory you learn about in class, and also the opportunity to sample life in a different city. The placements take place across the UK and give you the opportunity to work with a team of professionals on assignments for PwC’s prestigious list of clients. The placements will also give you a broader perspective on business and contribute to the development of your personal and professional skills. In addition, the work experience gained counts towards your ICAEW training contract requirements.

Anywhere in the city up north of england, liverpool, manchester, newcastle, sheffield, leeds etc. I like the idea of campus universities that are still close to the city.

Yes my work experience contributes to acca requirements.

I would like to complete an undergraduate and postgraduate degree to gain full exemption from ACCA and ACA. Which universities offer this kind of exemption?

Some unversities allow students who have already completed AAT or CAT (accounting technician courses), a direct entry into year two of a degree. My question is how would the marking work out then? Can I still gain a first class honours or 2:1?

I would say Manchester and Leeds are also very good

I don't think any degree course allows full exemptions from ACA - plus you would need work experience for ACA too (they allow it from less places than ACA) maybe a few allow nearly all from ACCA

I am not familiar with this you would need to check the prospectus'
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.