Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What the hardest essay question you've had to tackle for your course? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Please state the Essay question and your degree.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I once had to write an essay with no title or reading list. I only had 36 hours to read for and write it. I was not amused :no:

ReputationRep:
    hardest ones are when we have to pick the title.

all the rest are basically a critical overview of the key themes/theroies of the module

ReputationRep:
    Question: Is contemporary feminism right to criticise classical sociology for failing to address the nature of gender inequalities?

Course: BA (Hons) Criminology.

I found it hard because I have limited knowledge of classical sociology. I somehow ended up, towards the end of the essay, comparing Islamic texts with the Qu'ran and showed how Marx and Engels never considered religion with gender inequality. I actually don't know how well I did on this one but I've come out of essays thinking I haven't done as well as I liekd and ended up exceeding expectations, and vice-versa.

ReputationRep:
    I've written approximately forty essays now and they've all been exactly the same difficulty level. The only difficulty is getting all the reading and writing done in two or three days.

In fairness I recall this one being slightly tricky at the time, but that was again more about processing the reading rather than answering the question:

Does Habermas’s theory of practical discourse provide a convincing way of dealing with the normative problems of critical theory?

BA Social and Political Sciences.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I once had to write an essay with no title or reading list. I only had 36 hours to read for and write it. I was not amused :no:
    Gah! :ahhhhh: Nightmare!

ReputationRep:
    'Translation is the death of poetry', discuss. It's not really so difficult a question, but I found it difficult to write 3,000 words about it, since I've never had to translate a poem or text myself so it was sort of new ground.

The hardest question I've read is a third year essay q on Lady Chatterley's Lover - it went something like "Constance and Mellors' relationship is unrealistic. What, for example, would they talk about?" I don't know how I would answer that question in any legitimate way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.