Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite confused about when 2009 freshers are meant to start. The bham website says mon 28 sept is when autumn term begins but since freshers have welcome week, do we come to bham exactly a week before on the monday or do we come earlier to settle into accommodation? Both the bham and the freshers website don't seem to have bothered with providing this information or if they have they've made it quite difficult to find This info is important as I need to know for work reasons and for general preparation.

As we're on the subject does anyone have any tips for freshers/bham uni in general and what I should expect when I arrive sometime in september?

i think 2009 freshers starts on 19th-20th september.
    28th september is when school officially starts, so if ur gonna be busy with work or other stuffs, u might wanna come on 28th septemeber instead.

however, i would strongly recommend u to go for the freshers' week since its gonna be loads and fun! and im gonna be there as well !!

WoohooooO!!!! Wonder if i should buy the bronze ticket now or wait till...

ReputationRep:
    You move in on around 19th-22nd, there's various dates depending which hall you're in.

Party begins on the 22nd, Uni a little later

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm heading up on the 19th - can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    Elgar Court go on the 20th September, I did find a link for all the dates but I can't remember where now.

Freshers Week (and our freshers fest ticket stuff) starts on the 21st September, I think the websites are a bit better now though

Make sure you go on www.guildofstudents.com and http://www.as.bham.ac.uk/studentlife...me/index.shtml

And yes I've been searching through your old posts toxictears (btw I need to know ur name haha), and we need to add on facebook But I'm not a stalker or something btw lol. I sound a bit crazy now

ReputationRep:
    a little help here
    i'm plannin for freshers week, anyone have an idea of how much i'm likely to spend
    note: I havent bought any tickets yet, which should i buy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timiO)
    a little help here
    i'm plannin for freshers week, anyone have an idea of how much i'm likely to spend
    note: I havent bought any tickets yet, which should i buy

My friend (though granted she goes to Hull uni) said she easily spent £200 during freshers' week :eek3: Not sure if that's average or whether she just got a bit carried away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melting_snow)
    My friend (though granted she goes to Hull uni) said she easily spent £200 during freshers' week :eek3: Not sure if that's average or whether she just got a bit carried away!
    thanx

ReputationRep:
    I'd buy the bronze package, unless you really want to see Calvin Harris etc. Because that includes the freshers fest and ball, which look quite good. And yeh, I'm planning on having £200 if not more. Its difficult in the first week I think to consider budgets. People want to go out and get a drink, and you want to make friends.

ReputationRep:
    You'll move into halls a week before uni officially begins, ie for freshers week. Your halls should send you info/pack on when you can move in. There are different move in dates for different halls to avoid even bigger congestions.

Freshers week will hopefully be the time of your life. Move in, say good bye to the family, leave your door open and start saying hi to youre new best mates

I'd recommend going for the whole lot, whatever your halls is offering, as you'll meet so many people and have a great time. Unless there's stuff that you're definitely not into of course. What are the options out of interest?

During the week there will be freshers fair on campus, which is definitely worth going to. Pop down with your flatmates (probalby nursing a hangover) and there you will find many free goodies. Look out for trials for sports teams and societies (usually occur on the weekend).

Anyway, just keep an open mind, take a camera with you, and meet everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh the first 2 weeks (realistically it's more like freshers fortnight) are heavy. You'll spend a lot because you might be going out practically every other night.

ReputationRep:
    I spent a lot more than my normal amount in freshers. Most people took double their normal weekly amounts. Do be prepared for an expensive couple of weeks, between taxis and being out every night you will spend more than you'd expect.

I agree with idiopathic that the freshers fair is definitely a good thing to go to. Great free stuff, and then other days there are the sports and societies fairs. One tip is not to join stuff you are unlikely to ever attend, it is so easy to sign up to an absurd number of societies, pay the joining fee and then if you are anything like me never make a single meeting.

Also try and make sure you have all your registration stuff with you as it makes the entire process in the first couple of days (like getting the inevitable unflattering photo taken) much easier.

Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airyfairy)
    I spent a lot more than my normal amount in freshers. Most people took double their normal weekly amounts. Do be prepared for an expensive couple of weeks, between taxis and being out every night you will spend more than you'd expect.

I agree with idiopathic that the freshers fair is definitely a good thing to go to. Great free stuff, and then other days there are the sports and societies fairs. One tip is not to join stuff you are unlikely to ever attend, it is so easy to sign up to an absurd number of societies, pay the joining fee and then if you are anything like me never make a single meeting.

Also try and make sure you have all your registration stuff with you as it makes the entire process in the first couple of days (like getting the inevitable unflattering photo taken) much easier.

Enjoy!
    what registration stuff do you need to take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    what registration stuff do you need to take?
    Your normally given a checklist, but generally its things like the letter from UCAS and one from the Uni you get with the welcome post. You'll need it to go and get your photocard which you need to go and do during the week.

In your welcome pack there should be a events planner of some sort for freshers week. Some boxes on the side saying what you should do, just tick them off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.