Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The career seems really interesting to me, it's very intense and I'd only do it for a few years, but I'm really attracted to the style and income the job has.

I've already researched what I'd have to do for my degree etc, but I can't help but wonder how the hell do you get started in the job? I don't really have much of an idea how it works at the moment (as in, what they do precisely, so no flames about "OMFG YOU WANT TO DO A JOB YOU DN'T KNOW ABOUT WTFLLOL1?!!2".

Help me out!

ReputationRep:
    pft, have more self respect.

stockbroking is soo f***ing random. sure, you may hit it big, make silly money silly quick, but then you'll think it was your good decisions that got you there. it delusional.

ReputationRep:
    All a stockbroker does is buy and sell shares on other peoples instructions. Are you sure you have the right career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    All a stockbroker does is buy and sell shares on other peoples instructions. Are you sure you have the right career?
    I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexdrans)
    I'm sure.
    So what first attracted you to retail?

ReputationRep:
    Institutional brokers make more £'s (I'm just assuming thats very important to you lol) and probably need a higher skill set. I think Brewin Dolphin (whatever its called) though private client brokers, were recruiting recently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexdrans)
    The career seems really interesting to me, it's very intense and I'd only do it for a few years, but I'm really attracted to the style and income the job has.

I've already researched what I'd have to do for my degree etc, but I can't help but wonder how the hell do you get started in the job? I don't really have much of an idea how it works at the moment (as in, what they do precisely, so no flames about "OMFG YOU WANT TO DO A JOB YOU DN'T KNOW ABOUT WTFLLOL1?!!2".

Help me out!

Assuming you do a 3 year degree, in your first year you will apply for the easter taster week, which is held at several of the big banks in London. Application deadlines are usually around christmas. For the following year, you apply to do the summer internship, this is your big break. If you get in for an internship, its sort of the equivalent of getting an interview for any other job. In the way that, if you impress during the internship your likely to be given an offer for the following year when you graduate.

Obviously, if you had previously been on the spring taster week, you are looked upon more favourably. But getting these places is incredibly difficult, it helps considerably to be in a highly regarded university. Before hand you should have a very good grasp of the financial world, be reading a decent financial paper regularly (the Times or the FT) as well as The Economist possibly. In addition to that, you must be very clear on what happens within an investment bank, and what area you want to work in and why. Then, you will be expected to be a very good communicator and to demonstrate team-working ability and leadership of the highest standard, so, captain of a sports team, committee member of societies at uni, that sortve thing. On top of this, it would be very helpful indeed if you have recent work experience in a relevant field as well as currently be employed (anywhere). If you have all that and are able to communicate it across appropriately, you should be ok.

The application process for the easter taster week is usually a cover letter, CV and possibly a competency question. For the internship its a rather prolongued online application form of many pages in length, personal details, education, employment, competency questions, you know the drill.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you read:
    All You Need to Know About the City 2009/2010: Who Does What and Why in London's Financial Markets by Christopher Stoakes

This should be enough for you to chew on for a while but lookout for my PM.

Hardy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.