Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Usually every year I just make a little thread for those moving into the James Lighthill halls. I remember when I was moving in I had no idea what it was like and it was quite daunting, moving anywhere in your first year generally is, and I like to think I take away a bit of the anxiety.

I used to live at JLH during the 2006-2007 academic year so please take not that there may have been some changed. Its actually two buildings, one older and larger and a newer smaller one in the courtyard. Security is great, there are alot of security doors and the porters are around 24/7, and in my experience, were a great bunch of lads.

As you walk through the first gates, you see the porters lodge, a small building by the front gate. It is divided into two parts; one being the actual porters office, and the other being the mail and laundry room. There are quite a few washers and dryers, but no ironing facilities. Down in the basement there are communal toilets, an IT room full of computers (odd count of about 30 or so, connected to the college network and the internet) and a common room with a pool table and television. The common room is great because it has a few double doors leading to the courtyard...its great for parties and meet ups. We had pizza nights and poker nights and all kinds of things (which we organised ourselves).

The building is divided into flats, generally made up of about 8 rooms, with both girls and boys. Theres also a kitchen which is usually fairly large (depending if you have a corner flat or not). Theres a large table, two fridges, two electric cooking units (4 hobs,1 grill, 1 oven each) and a microwave. You get a cubhoard and a larder like unit attached to the wall each which can be locked. You have to sort out the fridge yourself.

As for the rooms, judge for yourself:

Sorry the room is a bit messy, but you get the general idea (the chair, the lamp and the bedside table are mine however). Theres a long desk with a few drawers, an ethernet connection to the UCL network and an aerial socket. You get a small wardrobe like cuttout in the wall to put your clothes in. The ensuite bathrooms are great, actually quite roomy, and the showers are gorgeous (lots of pressure and plenty hot water!). As for the internet connection, you only get access to the UCL websites and moodle unless you pay a connection fee of about 80 pounds for the whole year (thats what it was when I was there) and you get a blisteringly fast connection to the net, completely unblocked. I was downloading at a maximum of around 80mb/s, thats right, not kb/s but MB! If you like to game, you'll have a ping of 1 almost all the time!

As far as I know, thats all there is to say, but if you have any questions then please ask. I hope i've managed to help a few of you at least

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thanks a lot for it, I was looking really hard for information but found mostly fos aston and other residences...hope things are still the same or even better =)
    Too bad the pics didn't load, but I'll try again (really wanna see the room!)

Thanks a lot, happy to know better the place I'll be living the following year =)

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im gonna be living there in september

excited!

ReputationRep:
    It's a decent place Probably one of the more comfortable halls. I just checked the photos and they loaded for me fine, ill try and reupload some if some people can't see them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acore)
    It's a decent place Probably one of the more comfortable halls. I just checked the photos and they loaded for me fine, ill try and reupload some if some people can't see them
    Thanks for the info.
    I'll be living here this year and from what you've said, it sounds nice. Its a bit far away but a 20 minute walk isnt too bad. Well it'll give me some exercise at least :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, I am a MSc student and I was just offered an ensuite room in James Lighthill. At first I was excited! Good price, nice area, new building and then I saw the overnight quests policy. It says no visitors at all after 11. I 'm so very sad I'm not a party aninal at all but I would like to being able to have friend visiting and staying with me whenever I want. Have you heard anything about this policy? how strict do you think it is in James Lighthill???? Regards, Angeliki

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.