Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey

i'm doing my gcses in 2010 so i'll be in year 11 from september.
    i am actually ******** myself even though its months away
    would it make a difference if a spent a few days this summer going over what i've done in year 10?

and i know its far away, but this is about mocks too

revision techniques for sciences, maths etc.

thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Please just enjoy your summer mate.

It could help, I don't think any extra work would do you any harm You could makes notes on work you've done in year 10 if you haven't already, it might make you feel better about your mocks and GCSEs next year too Just don't overwork yourself, it is the summer but you still have plenty of time before your GCSEs and even your mocks too, so you could also take some time off and enjoy your summer

ReputationRep:
    If you go to a crap school, like I did, I'd advise it. At least get the coursework out the way, anywho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    It could help, I don't think any extra work would do you any harm You could makes notes on work you've done in year 10 if you haven't already, it might make you feel better about your mocks and GCSEs next year too Just don't overwork yourself, it is the summer but you still have plenty of time before your GCSEs and even your mocks too, so you could also take some time off and enjoy your summer
    yeah
    i mean i'm not going to work all day for the whole summer
    it's like just reading through some notes and reading notebooks to make more sense
    thanks

and what bout revision techniques for mocks?

ReputationRep:
    Jeesh, if only I had your mentality for GCSEs lol. But in all seriousness, they aren't that hard - you should enjoy your summer for the most part. You should try and read the books given to you if you're doing english lit; get them out of the way for easy coursework marks. Other than that just stay up to date on any courseworks you may have been given. Remember to hand everything in on time and year 11 will be for the most part a breeze. When you start missing deadlines that's when it really gets hard and stressful. For the mocks I don't even know if I revised; I loved the mocks infact, go in for half a day to do an exam that didn't even matter, maybe revise a tad on bitesize the night before. If you want to do really well in your GCSEs doing maybe 1 or 2 hours of revision a night 2 or 3 months before the GCSEs, with revision cards and all that stuff and you'll do fine. Don't worry about it too much though, they were pretty easy, considering the revision I'd done for it.

(Original post by Sparkzz)
    yeah
    i mean i'm not going to work all day for the whole summer
    it's like just reading through some notes and reading notebooks to make more sense
    thanks

and what bout revision techniques for mocks?
    Well you've already started thinking about your mocks which is a good thing Assuming your mocks are in January, you could just write some notes every day, you don't have to spend ages, just an hour or so, or however long you feel is a good time. For Maths the best way to revise it is to do a lot of past papers. That way you're nailing the technique and timing for the exam as well as also working out which topics you are unsure about too.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, having a good old fashioned chillax in the Summer will be better preparation for the next year than working through it

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you need to worry about doing any work this summer unless of course you´ve got coursework/homework to do.
    As far as revision goes its different for each subject really, but for maths its pretty much past papers and lots of them. For science i found learning the specification and doing past papers to be the most help.
    If you want my advice on any other subject then quote or PM me
    Honestly though you really don´t have to work this summer =)

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, if you have a lot of time, a little work wouldn't be a bad thing. But I don't think it would actually be an advantage, since you'll have forgotten it when it comes to closer to the time.

My Revision techniques:

Maths: go through notes, read over techniques, practice examples, then do past papers
    Sciences: understand all concepts, learn notes VERY WELL, remembering to do practice questions to make sure you understand it

ReputationRep:
    Just enjoy yourself, GCSE is honestly easy time. You can coast along and still dish out A/A*'s.

When you get to A levels/Uni then obviously not but GCSE's are still aimed at the average school children population so you don't need to really do a ton of work to get a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetopnotch)
    Well you've already started thinking about your mocks which is a good thing Assuming your mocks are in January, you could just write some notes every day, you don't have to spend ages, just an hour or so, or however long you feel is a good time. For Maths the best way to revise it is to do a lot of past papers. That way you're nailing the technique and timing for the exam as well as also working out which topics you are unsure about too.
    i know
    mocks are sooner than u think
    thanks a lot :]
    ill go through some notes and read some books this summer then
    starting august

--

thanks to everyone else who commented x
    i appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Please just enjoy your summer mate.
    This

Tbh you will probably have forgotten what you go over now by June next year. You have term time to revise for mocks. Don't worry you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    mocks = unimportant
    gcses = ages away
    it honestly will not make a difference, make the most of your summer please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XDaydreamer)
    mocks = unimportant
    gcses = ages away
    it honestly will not make a difference, make the most of your summer please
    lol
    if school shuts down because of swine flu for real gcses my mocks will be used

ReputationRep:
    yeah you could but if I remember correctly I just chilled in my summer and went out ..oh and I did crap in my mocks and came out with pretty good gcse's. If you've got any coursework or mandatory (sp) reading to do get it out the way ...thats what Idid and enjoy your summer.

Oh yeah and here 's a tip to make year 11 a breeze do all the c/w early...like do a couple of pages a day say 3 and it will be done before you know it..get it checked by your teacher regularly by doing drafts. Revise early during exam time and if any of your subjects offer after school revision help ..my god go to all of them even if you can't be bothered ...it makes a big difference. It worked for me especially in geography and science. Oh yeah and do past papers too in prep for exams some ...

ReputationRep:
    if only i was as eager starting my gcses...i only had 8 months and had to rush like a dog to complete them..if only i could go back in time:sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyfantastic90)
    yeah you could but if I remember correctly I just chilled in my summer and went out ..oh and I did crap in my mocks and came out with pretty good gcse's. If you've got any coursework or mandatory (sp) reading to do get it out the way ...thats what Idid and enjoy your summer.

Oh yeah and here 's a tip to make year 11 a breeze do all the c/w early...like do a couple of pages a day say 3 and it will be done before you know it..get it checked by your teacher regularly by doing drafts. Revise early during exam time and if any of your subjects offer after school revision help ..my god go to all of them even if you can't be bothered ...it makes a big difference. It worked for me especially in geography and science. Oh yeah and do past papers too in prep for exams some ...
    ayee
    i done ALOT of coursework in year 10 too
    especially in english, and done all my geography which have both gone very well because i got a's/a- in all my english and in geography teacher said is proberbly full marks

+ done sciences which I HOPE i done well (isa) since we dont get results

and history which im ******** myself about :/

so yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    if only i was as eager starting my gcses...i only had 8 months and had to rush like a dog to complete them..if only i could go back in time:sadnod:
    eight months to revise for gcses?
    thats LOADS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkzz)
    eight months to revise for gcses?
    thats LOADS

no to start and complete them
    [as opposed to starting them in yr 10]

and lol if i quote you:
    i done ALOT of coursework in year 10 too
    especially in english, and done all my geography which have both gone very well because i got a's/a- in all my english and in geography teacher said is proberbly full marks
    you said it yourself

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.