Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sheffield Hallam Uni Interview Adult Nursing.....info Needed Please Xx Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I have an interview in august at shu and im wondering if anyone has been recently and could give me some info on how it works.

Do SHU require you to do exams??
    Are there any particular questions that i may need to prepare for other than the usual why do you want to be nurse???

Thanks for your help in advance!!
    Jenny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izzysmummy01)
    Hey everyone,

I have an interview in august at shu and im wondering if anyone has been recently and could give me some info on how it works.

Do SHU require you to do exams??
    Are there any particular questions that i may need to prepare for other than the usual why do you want to be nurse???

Thanks for your help in advance!!
    Jenny

Hi Jenny,
    Firstly I doubt they willask you to do a test just maybe a diagnostic which just sees if you need help with english. I would prepare they could ask you anything. Although I hear the interviews are pretty informal at shu.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at SHU but I hate it here so I'm transferring into my 2nd year at KCL in September.

For my interview last year it was held in some conference building and we all sat around in the reception area for ages while they organised how we we going to be grouped. then we went into a smallish room (id say there was about 20 of us perhaps) and we sat in groups of about 5. we then had to work as a group for about 10/15 mins to brain storm/discuss then prepare a short presentation on some aspects of nursing care (i think we did ours on the importance of hygiene and infection control) you got given a piece of poster paper to make points on to hold up to the rest of the room during the presentation. yeah you do have to stand at the front and speak in front of a room full of strangers. while you are working in your groups members of staff will go around observing how you work within your group and they make notes as they're watching you.

You are given a presentation by a member of staff on nursing at SHU but I can't remember whether this was before or after the group work, I think it was after. That went on for quite a long time but I remember it was quite useful.

After those two sections, you then go back into the reception area with everyone else and you can get a drink and stuff. everyone was called back into that room a few at a time, about 3 I think, where you had an individual interview with two members of staff (3 interviews were going on in the room at the same time which was a bit distracting). The staff were lovely and they asked the generic questions like "Why do you think nursing is the right course for you?", "what are your personal strengths and weaknesses?", "what qualities do you have that will make you a good nurse?" "Why do you want to come to SHU?", "have you had any previous experience in healthcare?" blahh blahh blahh. Make sure you have done your research about the course so you can answer why you want to do it and why you think you'd be good at it. The staff were really really friendly and I actually really enjoyed the whole thing, the group work and the interview which is why I chose to go there. There were a few 3rd year students there that mingled with us while we were waiting in the reception area and you can talk to them about the course/uni life in sheffield/anything really.

You don't have to do a Maths or English test .

Don't let the fact I'm leaving put you off (If you want to know the reasons then I'll tell you) because loads of people really like it there .

I hope this helped a little bit, Good Luck.

Lindsey xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindsey88)
    I'm at SHU but I hate it here so I'm transferring into my 2nd year at KCL in September.

For my interview last year it was held in some conference building and we all sat around in the reception area for ages while they organised how we we going to be grouped. then we went into a smallish room (id say there was about 20 of us perhaps) and we sat in groups of about 5. we then had to work as a group for about 10/15 mins to brain storm/discuss then prepare a short presentation on some aspects of nursing care (i think we did ours on the importance of hygiene and infection control) you got given a piece of poster paper to make points on to hold up to the rest of the room during the presentation. yeah you do have to stand at the front and speak in front of a room full of strangers. while you are working in your groups members of staff will go around observing how you work within your group and they make notes as they're watching you.

You are given a presentation by a member of staff on nursing at SHU but I can't remember whether this was before or after the group work, I think it was after. That went on for quite a long time but I remember it was quite useful.

After those two sections, you then go back into the reception area with everyone else and you can get a drink and stuff. everyone was called back into that room a few at a time, about 3 I think, where you had an individual interview with two members of staff (3 interviews were going on in the room at the same time which was a bit distracting). The staff were lovely and they asked the generic questions like "Why do you think nursing is the right course for you?", "what are your personal strengths and weaknesses?", "what qualities do you have that will make you a good nurse?" "Why do you want to come to SHU?", "have you had any previous experience in healthcare?" blahh blahh blahh. Make sure you have done your research about the course so you can answer why you want to do it and why you think you'd be good at it. The staff were really really friendly and I actually really enjoyed the whole thing, the group work and the interview which is why I chose to go there. There were a few 3rd year students there that mingled with us while we were waiting in the reception area and you can talk to them about the course/uni life in sheffield/anything really.

You don't have to do a Maths or English test .

Don't let the fact I'm leaving put you off (If you want to know the reasons then I'll tell you) because loads of people really like it there .

I hope this helped a little bit, Good Luck.

Lindsey xxx
    Hi,
    thank you that helps a lot, my interview is on friday so i have everything crossed and im thinking carefully preparing answers to questions they may ask!
    Thank you! I hope your happy where you transfer to!!

Jennyxx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.