Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I watched the movie "Persepolis".

For those who are not familiar - it's an animated autobiography
    created by Marjan Satrapi, a former Iranian that lived as a young girl
    in post revolutionary Iran. Very moving, I highly recommend.

At one point in the movie her mother is angry at her for talking back to her theology teacher. She says:

"Do you know what they do to the young girls they arrest? You know what happened to Niloufar, the girl you met at Khosro’s house? The man who made the passports? You know that it’s against the law to kill a virgin, so a guardian of the revolution marries her and takes her virginity before executing her. Do you understand what that means? If someone so much as touches a hair on your head, I’d kill him".

I was shocked by this. I started looking into it, and I found a lot of sources that verify this custom:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534116,00.html

What this movie did show me, besides what I already knew to some extent about the Iranian regime, is that there are secular and freedom loving people in Iran, but their voices are being smothered. Unlike what Mr. ImAdinnerjacker would have me think.

I just want to send these people a message:

http://libertytoiran.blogspot.com/20...on-in-tel.html

ReputationRep:
    I read the jPost article, I smelt bull.

ReputationRep:
    It all resumes to this: There are good and bad people everywhere.

And Persepolis is indeed a very good film.

ReputationRep:
    There are actual books written on how unreliable Fox News is as a neutral source. Your 'investigation' was for ****.

ReputationRep:
    Bull ****.

ReputationRep:
    Many of the things that take place in countries run by religious leaders are shocking

And yes, Persepolis was an awesome book

ReputationRep:
    ''The anonymous militiaman told the Jerusalem Post''

I don;t need to read anything more.

Regardless i know the girl (not Personally) who wrote this, she is a highschool age Jewish girl who writes anti-Iranian articles for the Jerusalem post.

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not a custom. Never heard of any such thing. Though often they can do whatever the hell they like, so I'm not sure that it's never happened.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how anonymous testimonies of IDF soldiers stand as excellent evidence, but not in this case, eh?

LOL, hypocrites.

ReputationRep:
    I find it interesting how borismor is so offended by the possible chance of rape in Iranian jails yet seems to ignore the culture of man on man or homosexual rape committed in American jails. It has even been noted that prison officials in American jails will put unruly prisoners in cells with known rapists as punishment.

Lets see you cry about that cause....

oh wait you only hate Iranians.

Whya re you so anti-Iranian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by borismor)
    Funny how anonymous testimonies of IDF soldiers stand as excellent evidence, but not in this case, eh?

You also ignored the reference to this in the movie.

LOL, hypocrites.
    Sorry where have i used anonymous testimonies of IDF soldiers to prove anything?

I think the fact you bring up the IDF just goes to show this issue is just another way for you to demonise Iranian people hoping that Israel looks better.
    Movies aren't factual.
    Unfuortunately for you everyone has seen through your anti-Iranian propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    I find it interesting how borismor is so offended by the possible chance of rape in Iranian jails yet seems to ignore the culture of man on man or homosexual rape committed in American jails.
    It doesn't happen only in American jails, it happens in every jail in the world.

It has even been noted that prison officials in American jails will put unruly prisoners in cells with known rapists as punishment.
    There's a difference between a local initiative and a policy.

I don't hate Iranians at all. I support the freedom loving secular Iranians.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry where have i used anonymous testimonies of IDF soldiers to prove anything?
    Bateman has brought this as evidence, and the rest of you jumped on the wagon.

I think the fact you bring up the IDF just goes to show this issue is just another way for you to demonise Iranian people hoping that Israel looks better.
    Actually I'm trying to demonize the Iraninan government, but this has nothing to do with Israel.

Movies aren't factual.
    Unfuortunately for you everyone has seen through your anti-Iranian propaganda.
    This movie is an autobiography. The creator has made the same claim in the movie itself.

ReputationRep:
    I find it interesting how borismor is so offended by the possible chance of rape in Iranian jails yet seems to ignore the culture of man on man or homosexual rape committed in American jails. It has even been noted that prison officials in American jails will put unruly prisoners in cells with known rapists as punishment.

Have you ever dropped the soap while taking a shower in an American prison??

It could lead to: :hump: if you are a lucky boy.

ReputationRep:

LOL, hypocrites.
    One could only imagine what the phone conversation was like:

jPost: Afternoon, jPost news desk, how can I help you?

Baseeji: Err... yeah... shalom, boy have I got a story for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    One could only imagine what the phone conversation was like:

jPost: Afternoon, jPost news desk, how can I help you?

Baseeji: Err... yeah... shalom, boy have I got a story for you!
    One could only imagine what the phone conversation was like in the case of the IDF testimonies:

Haaretz: Afternoon, Haaretz news desk, how can I help you?

Hamas: Err... yeah... Salam Aleikum, boy have I got a story for you!

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't happen only in American jails, it happens in every jail in the world.
    luckily, not in Iranian jails.

There's a difference between a local initiative and a policy.
    prove to me that it is policy. Prove to me that it has happened once.

I don't hate Iranians at all. I support the freedom loving secular Iranians.
    You can find all of them abroad.

ReputationRep:
    One could only imagine what the phone conversation was like in the case of the IDF testimonies:

Haaretz: Afternoon, Haaretz news desk, how can I help you?

Hamas: Err... yeah... Salam Aleikum, boy have I got a story for you!

lmao. A zionist and biased media outlet writing an article about Israel is easier to believe than it writing an anti-Iran article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    luckily, not in Iranian jails.
    LOL! Right, there's also no homosexuality at all in Iran...(because they all get hanged).

prove to me that it is policy. Prove to me that it has happened once.
    I don't have to. By your own standards an anonymous testimony is enough.

You can find all of them abroad.
    Very tragic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    lmao. A zionist and biased media outlet writing an article about Israel is easier to believe than it writing an anti-Iran article.
    If it's Zionist and biased, why would it write something like that about Israel in the first place?

Stop contradicting yourself and admit that what sources you believe is inherently a political choice which has nothing to do with actual credibility.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.