Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do you even have enough material to revise for 4 hours a day, you cant have notes and stuff if you havn't started the A2 part of the course!

Have you considered writing your family a letter? That way they wouldn't be able to brush you off with some "for your own good" comment, but would actually have to read everything you've got to say, which might be more articulatly expressed on paper?

It sounds like they are looking out for your interests, but don't really know what is best for you, so if you present what you want in a positive way you may be able to win them round? Tell them that good universities are most impressed with rounded individuals who have a varied social and academic life; they are usually wary of people who do nothing but study in case they can't cope.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do (but i wouldn't make any decisions based on this girl, think you may regret it later) REALLY hope it all works out for you

ReputationRep:
    I read the first few lines and all i could think was... Prince of Bel Air! :P

ReputationRep:
    How can you be revising already? What do you actually have to revise?

ReputationRep:
    One idea, that really helped my brother, is to make a revision timetable. If your family are making you do 4 hours of revision a day, that's 28 hours a week. You could draw up a plan where you do the same hours over 3 days, and have the rest to yourself. The important thing is that if you do make a plan you should stick to it, it's the only way to encourage them to give you more responsibility.

As for this internet "star", I think a detox is in order, maybe just ban yourself from talking to her for a month or so and spend more time in the real world. It'll probably help.

ReputationRep:
    Paper (someone mentioned above) defintely helps. Put everything you can think of down on paper that contributes or relates to your situation. You can then use that as ammunition against your family if you want, to try to make them understand how you feel.
    Or it could just help you see your problem from a different perspective, and make an informed decision.
    Do not go to america yet (by all means go for uni) and try to forget about this girl. Get out with your mates and try and meet someone else who you might like for being the person they are as opposed to the person you want them to be...
    And try and negotiate with your parents (over the work), find someone on your side to back you up. In all seriousness, you could burn out before the end of A2 at the rate you're going. Good luck

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.