Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen to study Biomedical Sciences at Uni and before I wanted to go into scientific research so a PhD would be useful/necessary but now I'm considering marketing products (I'm interested in cosmetics, medicines and genetics) or forensics, so I've begun to wonder whether I need a PhD - will doing a PhD give me a bigger chance of getting a job with a good pay or will it not matter much and be more of a waste of time?

I've had people tell me nowadays everyone has a BSc so employers are looking for something more, but others have said Phd's are only for those who want to do research

I know I'm thinking a bit too far into the future (about to start Uni in a few weeks) and I may change my mind later I was just wondering what others thought about the idea of PhD;s

ReputationRep:
    A PhD would help in terms of careers, sure, but your main influence should be to pursue one if the subject really interests you as well as the idea of research.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, I assume you have not even got your A-level results yet, and you are thinking about a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally only ever consider a PhD as a means to satisfy my own curious itch in the future (say when I'm about 50 and have the finance to cope).

That, and if I graduate in my chosen field, I can be a double doctor. Which would be epic lulz.

Interests can change radically in the first and second years - you really don't need to be planning so far ahead. Relax - enjoy the journey
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    While I would certainly agree that you really shouldn't be worrying about this until late into your second year, this probably isn't a very satisfying answer to you, so here goes with my honest response regardless of what stage you're at.

The training on a PhD is almost entirely research based and progression/attainment is judged entirely on your ability to conduct, analyze and write-up research projects. However, given the sort of things you're talking about marketing, the in depth knowledge of research and findings provided by a PhD may well be useful. It's also true that hiring managers can think (often wrongly) that those with PhD's are smarter and more able.

Without knowing exactly what you would be marketing it's hard to make an educated guess (for some cosmetics you just need to be able to speak English and have loose morals), but I think probably a masters is what you need, as that puts you above those with a BSc at the recruitment stage and would probably furnish you with enough understanding and knowledge to perform well once you actually have the job.

Bottom line though; enjoy undergraduate life and don't decide anything before you really know what its all like or what you're going to enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitothy)
    It's also true that hiring managers can think (often wrongly) that those with PhD's are smarter and more able.
    Perhaps not directly smarter, but I'd certainly agree that PhD graduates are more able in most skills - you have to be above average in terms of work ethic and, to a lesser extent, ability. They don't just hand the PhDs out to anybody, and I think there's a bit of a status image attached to graduating with one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.