Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    lol basically as the title says. I broke up with him just over 4 months ago because I didn't feel like I loved him (after an 11 month relationship) and that it wasn't fair on either of us seeing as he wanted us to go on a gap year and university together. This was too much commit for me to handle so I ended it. He took it very badly and went into a period of depression lasting about 2 months, so I blocked him to help make it easier eventually. Now, 2 months on, he is engaged to another girl that he's known for a month which I am okay with, even though I think he is very stupid for doing that (basically am not jealous, just have a negative opinion of his life choice lol).

But he was my best friend when we were going out and I miss talking to him, want to know if it would be weird to add him again, or if his decision to get engaged cancels out any awkwardness him or his new fiancee would feel about me wanting to stay in touch.

Lol it's not that I want to get back together with him, I just think it's a waste to go out with someone for almost a year and then become a stranger just because we want different things in life.
    Any opinions please?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah may as well, it's not really a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Request to be friends and if he declines, you have nothing to lose. Not like you have to ask him face to face, it's only the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'll just do it and see what happens

ReputationRep:
    It isn't a big deal really.

ReputationRep:
    I would, to be fair in my experience boys don't see Facebook as such a big deal... and like you say, if you can strike up a friendship/something vaguely friendly, then that has to be a good thing. If not, you haven't really lost anything anyway, because no-one has to know about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Request to be friends and if he declines, you have nothing to lose. Not like you have to ask him face to face, it's only the internet.
    exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O_Bugger_its_Hitler)
    lol basically as the title says. I broke up with him just over 4 months ago because I didn't feel like I loved him (after an 11 month relationship) and that it wasn't fair on either of us seeing as he wanted us to go on a gap year and university together. This was too much commit for me to handle so I ended it. He took it very badly and went into a period of depression lasting about 2 months, so I blocked him to help make it easier eventually. Now, 2 months on, he is engaged to another girl that he's known for a month which I am okay with, even though I think he is very stupid for doing that (basically am not jealous, just have a negative opinion of his life choice lol).

But he was my best friend when we were going out and I miss talking to him, want to know if it would be weird to add him again, or if his decision to get engaged cancels out any awkwardness him or his new fiancee would feel about me wanting to stay in touch.

Lol it's not that I want to get back together with him, I just think it's a waste to go out with someone for almost a year and then become a stranger just because we want different things in life.
    Any opinions please?
    what a waste of brain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petticoatlove)
    exactly.
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zar91)
    I would, to be fair in my experience boys don't see Facebook as such a big deal... and like you say, if you can strike up a friendship/something vaguely friendly, then that has to be a good thing. If not, you haven't really lost anything anyway, because no-one has to know about it.
    Tbf he doesn't really handle things in a manly way, he's a bit of a drama queen
    But as you guys said it's not really a big deal I guess, if he doesn't want to talk to me then it's not the end of the world :p:
    Was nice to have a bit of a vent though lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeee)
    what a waste of brain.
    What's that supposed to mean?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, add him.
    You can always delete him as a friend if you change your mind?

ReputationRep:
    What's that supposed to mean?
    it means you're weally weally clever

ReputationRep:
    it means you're weally weally clever
    And you're a ****. Go away

Any opinions please?
    Don't do it (unless you already have). I deleted my facebook because of this. My ex was a ******* stalker though.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like the plot of a really bad film.

I bet i can guess the ending.
    He's only engaged to her to try to get over you, and you get in contact with him to be all 'nohardfeelings' n'that.
    And he's like i'm so in love with my fiancee.
    But he's not really.
    And you realise you're jealous after all.

ReputationRep:
    what a waste of brain.
    well why did u bother reading it then? It was clear from the title what it was about!

And to the point -

yeah I say add him, what is the worst that could happen? Same sort of thing happened with my ex and he added me again after he felt comfortable to be friends. Some one has to make the first move to restore the friendship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Don't do it (unless you already have). I deleted my facebook because of this. My ex was a ******* stalker though.
    Ouch, could you not have just blocked her? I hope it wouldn't seem stalkerish adding him again (too late btw lol) because I don't stalk him (have better things to do with my time) :p:

(Original post by MO-M-G)
    This sounds like the plot of a really bad film.

I bet i can guess the ending.
    He's only engaged to her to try to get over you, and you get in contact with him to be all 'nohardfeelings' n'that.
    And he's like i'm so in love with my fiancee.
    But he's not really.
    And you realise you're jealous after all.
    And then they all live happily ever after? Probably not lol
    But I see where you're coming from, just need a sub-plot line about a friend secretly being in love with me and an ironic encounter between the two and I'm all set

(Original post by rachstar)
    well why did u bother reading it then? It was clear from the title what it was about!

And to the point -

yeah I say add him, what is the worst that could happen? Same sort of thing happened with my ex and he added me again after he felt comfortable to be friends. Some one has to make the first move to restore the friendship
    Lol yes that is true, I don't want it to be awkward forever :rolleyes: Just hoping he feels comfortable about it too

ReputationRep:
    I wanna add my ex but I fear he'll post hate on my wall or something... lol.

ReputationRep:
    I've got my ex on fb and its not weird or anything. We did only start talking again a couple of years or so after we broke up though. Give someone enough time and its all good imo.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.