Turn on thread page Beta

Not returning for 2nd year uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question.....

I was wondering whether i would have to pay back some of the grant that i had recieved if i drop out after the first year and intend not to return for the second year....

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you would, I dropped out to change course and they want like £800 back!

ReputationRep:
    Even if you don't tell the uni that you dropped out??

ReputationRep:
    The university will automatically notify the SLC. Also, if you don't notify the SLC, you're in breach of your agreement with them, meaning they can effectively demand full repayment of everything you've borrowed straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Grants arnt repayable afaik unless you drop out early of the year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete r)
    Even if you don't tell the uni that you dropped out??
    They would eventually find out, wouldn't they?

Just give whatever you owe back. It's the right thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    Grants arnt repayable afaik unless you drop out early of the year.
    Thats what i thought

ReputationRep:
    Actually, if you drop out on the last day of term, part of it is repayable. Grants are paid through to the end of the academic year, which is the 31st August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Actually, if you drop out on the last day of term, part of it is repayable. Grants are paid through to the end of the academic year, which is the 31st August.
    So if I don't return for the second year, the grant is not repayable...

ReputationRep:
    If you don't return for the second year, you would have some grant to repay because you were not in attendance. They are calculated on the day you last attended, and your university provide the term dates.

ReputationRep:
    So would it be your last exam date??

ReputationRep:
    From what I understand.
    I don't have to pay back the student loan straight away as long as I'm planning to continue my education at another university, and I've completed my current year.

ReputationRep:
    I have sat all the exams and haven't told the university that I am not going to return.... Wouldn't that mean that i have completed the whole academic year and entitled to the full grant and would not have to pay part of it back...

ReputationRep:
    No, because the academic year runs to the 31st August. You've been paid grant for over the summer holidays.

To avoid any grant overpayment, you'd have to attend for one day of year 2.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Taiko,

If you don't mind me asking how do you know so much about student finance..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete r)
    Hey Taiko,

If you don't mind me asking how do you know so much about student finance..
    I work for a Local Education Authority, dealing solely with the administration of Student Finance, and have been here for 3.5 years.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Taiko)
    No, because the academic year runs to the 31st August. You've been paid grant for over the summer holidays.

If you attend another uni at the start of this year after completing first year, is some grant still repayable?

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out after the first term, but I got my January loan through after I'd told them I was quitting (you know how crap their admin is!)...but when it came through I paid it all back to the penny. That was the right thing to do because since replying again for this year I haven't had any problems getting more financial help, and my outstanding balance isnt very high at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    If you attend another uni at the start of this year after completing first year, is some grant still repayable?
    To avoid having to pay anything back, you would have to obtain a notification of transfer from the old university and the new one. If you apply through UCAS, you'd be classed as a new application and not a transfer, so would have the overpayment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)

Hi. I'm curious if you could shed some light onto my situation in that case... It seems the worst case scenario may be happening.

Basically.
    Student that finished his 1st year. Planning on doing some resits in September but will withdraw from university afterwards. Applied to a different university with a new UCAS code.

I understand if I have to pay back the student loan, but what about all the other things like university bursaries and maintaince grants? Will these be required from me even if I go to another university?

Is it possible to obtain a notification of transfer in that case despite having been accepted with my new ucas application as I am essentially the same person. Would I then be using my old number or new number?

I also applied to my current university with ucas and got accepted. Now supposedly my tutor told me to get things sorted with the transfer as soon as I finished my exams, but which number would I be using?

It does make me question what this was all about completing the academic year. Sorry for all the questions. Hope you would be able to help me out?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.