Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving practical test on Saturday Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have my driving practical test on Saturday and it will be my first try. Can I get some advice on what to expect, what the common mistakes are and any general advice really.

I heard they may ask you stuff about the cars engine, oil and water levels etc.. I am clueless about that - isit important should I learn them?

Also could you remind me of all the possible maneuvers they may ask me to perform and how many they will want me to do.

One FINAL thing lol, if they ask for an emergency stop will I have to hit the brake and clutch pedal in order to prevent stalling?

I know it's alot of questions, but I need all the help I can get.

Thank you lovely people

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I can't answer those questions but all I'll say is good luck and be calm

ReputationRep:
    well i havent had my practical yet but its coming up soon,yes you need to hit the brake and clutch ( u really should know this if your test is this saturday
    um the manouvers : 3 point turn, reverse round corner, parallel parking, bay parking um thats all i can think of
    o and i have a full list of questions and answers they can ask you at the start (theres about 19 i think) just tell me if you want them, don't want to copy and paster on this message good luck

ReputationRep:
    wheres ur instructor lol. he or she should have told you what to expect. i will givr u an answer tomoz. im off to bed lol

ReputationRep:
    It isn't a very goood sign that your test is so soon and you don't know about what you have just asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitz_91)
    well i havent had my practical yet but its coming up soon,yes you need to hit the brake and clutch ( u really should know this if your test is this saturday
    um the manouvers : 3 point turn, reverse round corner, parallel parking, bay parking um thats all i can think of
    o and i have a full list of questions and answers they can ask you at the start (theres about 19 i think) just tell me if you want them, don't want to copy and paster on this message good luck

Thanks alot!, yeh I knew it was both brake and clutch, but some people told me just to hit the break as in an emergency not stalling the car isn't the priority.

I would loooove those questions and answers, please PM me them or post on here. Thanks again!:woo:

ReputationRep:
    The questions they ask at the beginning are called 'show me tell me'. They ask you two questions, if you get one or both of them wrong it counts as one minor fault.
    In test if you get more than 15 minor faults than ypu fail the test.
    You get 2 out of all the possible manouveres.
    If you get bay parking it will be either at the beginning or end of the test, usually in their own car park.

Dont panic.
    Stay calm.
    If you make a mistake, dont assume thats the end.
    Make sure all mirror work is obvious to them, exaggerate your head movements if need be.
    Make sure you check your blindspot every time you pull off from a situation and throughout all manouveres.

They're looking to see that you can drive SAFELY and be considerate and aware of all other road users and pedestrians.
    During manouveres they're usually looking to see that you can control the car, keep it slow and controlled and keep up the observations.

NEVER look at the sheet before you finish.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MO-M-G)
    The questions they ask at the beginning are called 'show me tell me'. They ask you two questions, if you get one or both of them wrong it counts as one minor fault.
    In test if you get more than 15 minor faults than ypu fail the test.
    You get 2 out of all the possible manouveres.
    If you get bay parking it will be either at the beginning or end of the test, usually in their own car park.

Dont panic.
    Stay calm.
    If you make a mistake, dont assume thats the end.
    Make sure all mirror work is obvious to them, exaggerate your head movements if need be.
    Make sure you check your blindspot every time you pull off from a situation and throughout all manouveres.

They're looking to see that you can drive SAFELY and be considerate and aware of all other road users and pedestrians.
    During manouveres they're usually looking to see that you can control the car, keep it slow and controlled and keep up the observations.

NEVER look at the sheet before you finish.

Best of luck.
    Thank you soooo much. I pay my driving instructor **** loads of money and he didn't have the decency to explain all this to me

I thought it was 3 manouvres, isit 2?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I can help you , but good luck anyway :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arda)
    Thank you soooo much. I pay my driving instructor **** loads of money and he didn't have the decency to explain all this to me

It was 2 manouveres for me, and i've done it twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arda)
    Hey I have my driving practical test on Saturday and it will be my first try. Can I get some advice on what to expect, what the common mistakes are and any general advice really.

I heard they may ask you stuff about the cars engine, oil and water levels etc.. I am clueless about that - isit important should I learn them?

Also could you remind me of all the possible maneuvers they may ask me to perform and how many they will want me to do.

One FINAL thing lol, if they ask for an emergency stop will I have to hit the brake and clutch pedal in order to prevent stalling?

Thank you lovely people

At the beginning of your test they will ask you 2 questions (a show me one and a tell me one) I think you get a minor if you can't answer either of them.

Here's a link to a list of possible questions they can ask you

http://www.driving-test-success.com/...e_tell_me.html

ReputationRep:
    Yeah shouldn't you really know this stuff before your test?

Anyway, questions about car engine and stuff aren't really that important, you get a minor for each wrong answer (2 questions).

On the emergency stop, hit both the brakes and the clutch, but make sure you hit the brakes first! Also keep both of your hands on the steering wheel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arda)
    Thanks alot!, yeh I knew it was both brake and clutch, but some people told me just to hit the break as in an emergency not stalling the car isn't the priority.
    It isnt - you wont get marked for that.

However if you press clutch before brake then you will fail. It is important that brake goes first and then clutch.

My advice is if you are not confident press only brake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arda)

Thank you lovely people

IMPORTANT: READ

1) If you're asked to do an emergency stop, when you move off after, check around everywhere! not just rear view mirror, right mirror, blind spot. Include the left mirror, left blind spot and behind, as you're in the middle of the road and anything can come past in either direction!

2) If you need to turn right at a roundabout after being in a dual carriageway, remember to get into the right hand lane! I failed my mock test because of this.

Oh and with your question about the emergency stop. You need to do it hard enough to fling the examiner's sheets off his lap! seriously! people fail for not enough inertia forward. And don't hit the clutch straight away, break, then clutch and break, all quickly, all without stalling.

(Original post by Arda)
    Are you serious!!?!? And you stuck with him/her until your test?!?!? Jeez!!!

ReputationRep:
    Here's a point to make for you guys. You'll have less traffic on the roads on Saturdays and Sundays, you'd assume (end of the working week and all that jazz). Do you think that this leads to a decrease in the number of potential challenges that you're likely to face, and, if so, lets the less able drivers slip through the net?

ReputationRep:
    Stay calm - That is the most important tip. So many people fail for stupid things because they dont stay calm.

Remember to return to the left lane - Missing your turnoff does result in a fail and can cause other problems (Such as a sudden merge into a Dual carriage way)

Look at all signs - My test centre is VERY big on speed, you can fail for going too slow or too fast, make sure you know the speed limit of the roads you are on and keep up to it. Overtake if needed.

Do what YOU think is right - Don't do what you THINK the examiner wants, do what you think it is right, even if it is wrong it doesn't mean that you fail, it means that you are thinking in advance. I tried to do what i thought the examiner wanted last test, and failed for hesitation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arda)
    I would really think about changing instructors if you've come this far without knowing anything about the vehicle safety questions, the emergency stop or anything about the test for that matter. If I were you, I'd go online and postpone your test as today is the last day to do so. This will buy you time without losing your fee to get trained up quickly by a decent instructor. If you aren't prepared, you'll throw away your £62 test fee for nothing. If you have £62 to burn, you're better off spending it on some decent training.

It's 2, plus (sometimes) the emergency stop.

ReputationRep:
    On your lesson before the test, drive around the streets close-ish to the test centre. You want to be looking out for things that could affect your drive - such as road works, diversions, broken traffic lights, temporary traffic lights, massive lorries blocking roads, etc. You don't want to be driving along and wham, you're faced with an un-expected thing which may flummox you.

Before you get in the car (for your test), you do the sight test, you then do "Show me, Tell me", you will be asked a few questions, such as "How do you change a tyre", "Where is the oil", "What goes in here?" - you'll be asked to pop the bonnet open for this.

You then close the bonnet, in the car, the examiner will adjust their mirrors and then say "Drive on when you'r ready, upon leaving the Test Centre, turn left / right / straight ahead until I tell you otherwise".

So, after a few minutes you'll turn into quieter streets and be asked to pull over. You'll be told that you'll be doing one of the manovers, reverse round corner / turn in the road / parallel parking. You have two of these to do. Sometimes you get the Emergency Stop too, but they will forewarn you of this, not everyone gets them though.

After the manovers, back off out to the busier roads. For me, I was made to drive along a 60mph twisty country lane and got a minor fault for going too slow (they can fault you for "un-due hesitancy").

After about 40mins, you are back at the test centre. Done and dusted.

Make sure you have reversed round every type of corner imaginable, not all corners are perfect right angles, they tested me on a wide, sweeping, downward corner !!

With mirrors, the examiner will adjust the tiny mirror near the rear view mirror. This means they can see your eyes move to the mirrors so no need for exaggerated head / eye movements.

If your examiner jolts forward when you break, they are giving a subtle hint you are breaking too hard. My instructor also told me that some examiners will give a gentle cough if you are dawdling about pulling out of a junction when they can see there is plenty of space.

Examiners don't want to fail people, they have to complete lots of paperwork explaining the reason they failed someone yet with a pass, it's just that piece of paper they hand you at the end when they shake your hand.

Take a deep breath, don't rush into things and don't take any herbal relaxant drops if you've never taken them before - you could end up like a friend of mine and be zombie-fied!!

as promised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockyone2)
    On your lesson before the test, drive around the streets close-ish to the test centre. You want to be looking out for things that could affect your drive - such as road works, diversions, broken traffic lights, temporary traffic lights, massive lorries blocking roads, etc. You don't want to be driving along and wham, you're faced with an un-expected thing which may flummox you.

Before you get in the car (for your test), you do the sight test, you then do "Show me, Tell me", you will be asked a few questions, such as "How do you change a tyre", "Where is the oil", "What goes in here?" - you'll be asked to pop the bonnet open for this.

You then close the bonnet, in the car, the examiner will adjust their mirrors and then say "Drive on when you'r ready, upon leaving the Test Centre, turn left / right / straight ahead until I tell you otherwise".

So, after a few minutes you'll turn into quieter streets and be asked to pull over. You'll be told that you'll be doing one of the manovers, reverse round corner / turn in the road / parallel parking. You have two of these to do. Sometimes you get the Emergency Stop too, but they will forewarn you of this, not everyone gets them though.

After the manovers, back off out to the busier roads. For me, I was made to drive along a 60mph twisty country lane and got a minor fault for going too slow (they can fault you for "un-due hesitancy").

After about 40mins, you are back at the test centre. Done and dusted.

Make sure you have reversed round every type of corner imaginable, not all corners are perfect right angles, they tested me on a wide, sweeping, downward corner !!

With mirrors, the examiner will adjust the tiny mirror near the rear view mirror. This means they can see your eyes move to the mirrors so no need for exaggerated head / eye movements.

If your examiner jolts forward when you break, they are giving a subtle hint you are breaking too hard. My instructor also told me that some examiners will give a gentle cough if you are dawdling about pulling out of a junction when they can see there is plenty of space.

Examiners don't want to fail people, they have to complete lots of paperwork explaining the reason they failed someone yet with a pass, it's just that piece of paper they hand you at the end when they shake your hand.

Take a deep breath, don't rush into things and don't take any herbal relaxant drops if you've never taken them before - you could end up like a friend of mine and be zombie-fied!!

as promised
    Thanks mate you deserve a rep

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.