Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a Scottish university (Stirling) in September and I'm really worried I'm going to be the only 18 year old as I've heard the majority of Scottish students will be 16-17?

ReputationRep:
    Most are 18 in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ffs. Been done to death.

18. Some 17 but not very often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    Oh ffs. Been done to death.

If the question irritates you so much then you don't need to answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JESSHOLMES)
    The question irritates you so much then you don't need to answer
    You didn't need to ask it. There's a search function.

ReputationRep:
    Ill be 17.

I think most are 18.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry at all! Most of us are 18 when we go to uni, some 17, I knew of 1 16 yr old (out of the people I knew from school going to uni, and all the scots I met at uni)...and tbh, at uni age doesn't seem to matter at all! A lot of the close friends I made at uni last yr were a year older (as they had done a gap years) and quite a few were in their early 20s...age difference just isn't as big a thing at uni as it was at school! Don't worry, just go and have fun!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be the young end of 17, which is gonna be a weird one in Medicine. I think I could be one of the youngest, if not the youngest, one there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    You didn't need to ask it. There's a search function.
    And there's also a message board function. I thought I'd use it. I wasn't causing any offence by asking a question but I'm afraid your answer caused me offence. I don't understand why you had to take such an attitude as I wasn't asking YOU, it wasn't YOUR duty to reply. But anyway, thanks for your answer all the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    I'll be the young end of 17, which is gonna be a weird one in Medicine. I think I could be one of the youngest, if not the youngest, one there.
    17 here, Aberdeen medicine! Woop!

Most are 17 or 18, OP.

ReputationRep:
    I was 17 when I started.

ReputationRep:
    Most will be seventeen or just turned eighteen. However, a lot of students coming from other countries, as well as people like me who took a gap year will be 18 or 19 (I'll have just turned 19 when I go). There's nothing to worry about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)
    17 here, Aberdeen medicine! Woop!

Most are 17 or 18, OP.
    Yeah, I like to think that, in being up this late, we're in training for all the late ward shifts. Can't get my head around what the timetable is gonna look like though, with the new building and everything being up the air.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it a bit **** to start uni at 17 when you still have to go around with fake IDs?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I like to think that, in being up this late, we're in training for all the late ward shifts. Can't get my head around what the timetable is gonna look like though, with the new building and everything being up the air.
    Yeah there's no way to predict it really. Luckily I'm blessed with a good tolerance for sleep deprivation- I can easily go about my business on 5 hours of sleep a night as long as there's some filter coffee to wake up to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackey)
    Isn't it a bit **** to start uni at 17 when you still have to go around with fake IDs?
    Not worth wasting a year on a gap year for the sake of 2 months of drinking if you ask me

ReputationRep:
    Yeah there's no way to predict it really. Luckily I'm blessed with a good tolerance for sleep deprivation- I can easily go about my business on 5 hours of sleep a night as long as there's some filter coffee to wake up to
    I'm not blessed in the same way, unfortunately, but I've abused my bodyclock enough to make things happen. I'm gonna love nightshift on the old wards at Woodend, actually - the whole geriatric wing is old school in design, and you spend the whole night rounding up wanderers. Spooky stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Not worth wasting a year on a gap year for the sake of 2 months of drinking if you ask me
    Fair enough :p:. I thought that I'd be the youngest (going directly to 2nd year) as I'm 18 going on 19. But it seems to vary quite a bit - good.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not blessed in the same way, unfortunately, but I've abused my bodyclock enough to make things happen. I'm gonna love nightshift on the old wards at Woodend, actually - the whole geriatric wing is old school in design, and you spend the whole night rounding up wanderers. Spooky stuff.
    Haha, I'm sure there'll be some interesting conversations to be had!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'm sure there'll be some interesting conversations to be had!
    I remember my work experience there (one of the old hoops that had to be leapt through). Most specifically, I remember leading an auld wifey who was short on blood (and was demented, put plainly) from the ward to the dayroom and back again. Trying to find somewhere that was warm (combining both the blood thing and the dementia thing).

So I can say that I've wandered with them. Which is nice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.