Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    I remember my work experience there (one of the old hoops that had to be leapt through). Most specifically, I remember leading an auld wifey who was short on blood (and was demented, put plainly) from the ward to the dayroom and back again. Trying to find somewhere that was warm (combining both the blood thing and the dementia thing).

So I can say that I've wandered with them. Which is nice.
    Ahh yes. My hospital work experience was surgical, then a bit of A&E, but I've been volunteering in a nursing home for months and months, I've had many a wander with a confused person. It's heartbreaking to see their confusion when they forget why they stood up in the first place every time they try to walk off...

ReputationRep:
    Few 17 year olds (I was one of them), very rare to have anything younger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)
    Ahh yes. My hospital work experience was surgical, then a bit of A&E, but I've been volunteering in a nursing home for months and months, I've had many a wander with a confused person. It's heartbreaking to see their confusion when they forget why they stood up in the first place every time they try to walk off...
    Meh, my mum works in clinical trials with Alzheimer's and the like. I find that I've taken a completely neutral stand on the whole thing. I noted a few days ago that my part time job (Asda, just like everybody else) has really taught me how to both love and hate people in perfect measures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    Meh, my mum works in clinical trials with Alzheimer's and the like. I find that I've taken a completely neutral stand on the whole thing. I noted a few days ago that my part time job (Asda, just like everybody else) has really taught me how to both love and hate people in perfect measures.
    Scotmid for me I worked in ASDA for a few months before S6 prelims, never went back. It was horrific. I feel for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JESSHOLMES)
    I'm starting a Scottish university (Stirling) in September and I'm really worried I'm going to be the only 18 year old as I've heard the majority of Scottish students will be 16-17?
    That's complete guff. Yes, a relatively small number are 17 (I would have been had I gone straight after school) in first year but most tend to be eighteen. Obviously, there are plenty who start much older than that - I'm 20 and that's not obscure at all. There are people in their sixties in some of my classes. And really, do you think there's a great difference in maturity between seventeen and eighteen year olds? Even if the majority were 17 it wouldn't actually matter that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiko 1001)
    Scotmid for me I worked in ASDA for a few months before S6 prelims, never went back. It was horrific. I feel for you
    It's not that bad. I get paid quite handsomely (at least for a 17 year old in a part time job) for a relatively easy stroll through a day.

ReputationRep:
    Searching for '17' in this subfrom gives many relevant results which might be of interest. You will also see how many times this question has been asked, and why people are bored of answering it :rolleyes:

The age distribution of first years seems to vary between universities, and probably depends on the number of non-Scottish students studying there. Regardless, there will be a variety, and from my experience, people don't care how old you are or what year of study you are in, because people are almost adults, and there is less of a difference. It's not like being at school

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be 16 for a few weeks at stirling, i'll be the baby And not old enough to do anything but i'll find a way round that

ReputationRep:
    I remember there was a 15 year old in a Chemistry lecture in first year, everyone was asking him if he was a genius and he was too modest to admit it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    I remember there was a 15 year old in a Chemistry lecture in first year, everyone was asking him if he was a genius and he was too modest to admit it
    have you met any 16 year olds

im so nervous now llol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)

im so nervous now llol
    hmm not sure, not many anyway. But you will be 17 in a few weeks and I was 17 for more than half the year you won't have any problems (as long as the union is nice, I know the GU was )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    hmm not sure, not many anyway. But you will be 17 in a few weeks and I was 17 for more than half the year you won't have any problems (as long as the union is nice, I know the GU was )
    if not i guess i'll have to hide in halls with carry oot xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)

im so nervous now llol
    There was a 16 year old on my floor...and she was 16 for most of the year! She'd just come straight from 5th year, skipping 6th year.

Don't worry, you'll be absolutely fine! As people have said, at uni age differences really don't matter as much as they may have done at school, and if getting into pubs etc worries you, well I don't know where you're going, but our student union lets anyone in who has a student card...I've never seen anyone ID'd in there when buying drinks either come to think of it!

Just go and enjoy yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    There was a 16 year old on my floor...and she was 16 for most of the year! She'd just come straight from 5th year, skipping 6th year.

Don't worry, you'll be absolutely fine! As people have said, at uni age differences really don't matter as much as they may have done at school, and if getting into pubs etc worries you, well I don't know where you're going, but our student union lets anyone in who has a student card...I've never seen anyone ID'd in there when buying drinks either come to think of it!

Just go and enjoy yourself
    I'm going to stirling

and thanks you have reassured me I'll pretend i'm older until the day before my 17th haa

ReputationRep:
    Most go after 6th year so 18. However many are waiting another year and saving money so a lot are going at 19 now. Sorry if its been said already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronar)
    I'm going to stirling

and thanks you have reassured me I'll pretend i'm older until the day before my 17th haa
    Aah cool, I'm sure most student unions will be fine tbh... my friend from aberdeen uni who was underage got into the st andrews union...all they check is that you have a valid uk student card!

Haha!

ReputationRep:
    While most people were 18, I found that there was loads of people living in halls who were older, up to about 23 or 24.

ReputationRep:
    Aah cool, I'm sure most student unions will be fine tbh... my friend from aberdeen uni who was underage got into the st andrews union...all they check is that you have a valid uk student card!

Haha!
    ...er, you don't have to be any particular age to get into a students' union. As a member of AUSA he'd have been a reciprocal member of the St Andrews' Association.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    ...er, you don't have to be any particular age to get into a students' union. As a member of AUSA he'd have been a reciprocal member of the St Andrews' Association.
    Yeh...that's what I was trying to explain... anyone in a British uni can get into any other british student union...

ReputationRep:
    Yeh...that's what I was trying to explain... anyone in a British uni can get into any other british student union...
    Though some will try to argue against that! At the Edinburgh Uni union they were putting up a right fight about it until I was like "NUS. Shut it." and just walked right past them.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.