Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The situation is, basically, I want to join NHSP as a 'clinical support worker'. They say you can do it at certain NHS trusts from age 17, so I match that criteria.

The only problem is that they require, for the trust I am applying for, "Minimum of 3 Months acute clinical experience in the last 2 years (Hospitals only, care homes are not acceptable)."

I emailed them about this, saying I have done a years worth of volunteering on a hospital ward - in effect acute clinical experience and also various ward based work experiences, but the woman who replied said that it had to be paid work therefore i do not meet the criteria.

They say for student nurses and medical students, you can join in your second year and be unrestricted in terms of the number of shifts you have to do per months and in other situations also. ALL IN ALL, it is very confusing, as the criteria are vague and crop up on different parts of the website

Personally I feel I could do the job as much as anyone else could, since I would receive the training everybody else does. I don't see why my volunteering couldn't count because at the end of the day, if you can work with them from 17, how can you have already worked that role for 3 months? most trusts require age 18, to be employed solely by that trust, so I am at a loss

Is it worth applying anyway and seeing what happens, and write a really good 'additional information' section to show how my volunteering has been good experience, or what?

Does anybody have any advice/experience with NHSP in this way?

Thanks

ReputationRep:

They say for student nurses and medical students, you can join in your second year and be unrestricted in terms of the number of shifts you have to do per months and in other situations also. ALL IN ALL, it is very confusing, as the criteria are vague and crop up on different parts of the website
    *Gets on the bandwagon asap.*

ReputationRep:
    volunteer experience is not acute clinical experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    *Gets on the bandwagon asap.*
    Ditto!

ReputationRep:
    I've got my reinterview on the 11th of next month. I joined up before and did a few shifts but for a different trust so will be hopefully rejoining so I can get some shifts in the same trust as uni.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the pay is shocking. I have to say I hate the rationale for this role, and the 'Physician's Assistant' role. They're basically getting people to do some of the real biomedical scientists' and doctor's jobs, but for a fraction of the price. Disgusting when you think about what mistakes are going to be made in the future due to people in this job having lack of appropriate training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LatinMachine)
    Wow, the pay is shocking. I have to say I hate the rationale for this role, and the 'Physician's Assistant' role. They're basically getting people to do some of the real biomedical scientists' and doctor's jobs, but for a fraction of the price. Disgusting when you think about what mistakes are going to be made in the future due to people in this job having lack of appropriate training.
    :confused: Are you talking about clinical support workers? That role has nothing to do with 'real biomedical scientists' and doctor's jobs'. It is just another name for HCA/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LatinMachine)
    Erm... are you confused about the roles? A HCA/CSW has nothing to do with any of that.

(See Belis has already commented on that).

nononononononononononono

NHS professionals = rip off merchants. a Way of underpaying you and undervaluing you whilst keeping you ona tight leash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    nononononononononononono

NHS professionals = rip off merchants. a Way of underpaying you and undervaluing you whilst keeping you ona tight leash
    Suggestion of viable alternatives?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    nononononononononononono

I don't know about locuming through NHSP. However for HCA jobs there are no good alternatives over here. All hospitals nearby put a ban on getting clinical support workers from agencies. That's the main reason why I joined as agency could only offer me shifts miles away. The pay is similar to that offered by agency.

I do agree with the undervaluing bit. Plus they do not offer any sort of training or progression opportunities to their staff. Agencies were much better in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    :confused: Are you talking about clinical support workers? That role has nothing to do with 'real biomedical scientists' and doctor's jobs'. It is just another name for HCA/
    Ok, when I googled "Clinical Support Worker," this is the link google gave me: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details...lt.aspx?Id=251
    But now having clicked further afield I see that a CSW can refer to many different kinds of staff, including and HCA, but ALSO to the role referred to on that page which they've called in the link an "assistant technical officer." So I stand by my position on the Physician's Assistants and the Assistant Technical Officer, but they now just appear a bit off topic for which, I apologise.

Edit: I also think that the NHS Careers website can be terribly misleading, especially as they change the name of the job every so often! I've been called an HCA, an NA, an auxiliary - but not a "CSW" yet!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.