Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeleh)
    Whats everyones experience of working behind a bar? I'm 17 and i have been told that when I turn 18 in november that my local bar will hire me for the christmas shifts, but I have also been told that I would of been able to of started now if they didnt already have staff.

Being 17, it would of meant that I wouldnt be able to serve anyone unless a coworker who is over 18 was behind the bar with me, and as soon as they werent behind the bar that I wouldnt be able to take any orders. Has anyone heard of this before?

But anyway, I just want to hear peoples opinions who have experience so I know what I might be getting myself in for. Thanks!
    working behind a bar is great experience when your young and can be great fun too although daunting and maybe a bit crap at first. I don't know if its the same everywhere but when i used to work in a pub that was owned by the company spirit group the rules were when your were 17 or when you were so many months of being 18 you could serve alcohol behind the bar as long as the license holder was present. I think you could also serve food and non alcoholic drinks whilst stood behind the bar if you were 17 maybe 16 too. Not too sure on that last bit but pretty sure about the first bit as i remember someone mentioning it

ReputationRep:
    Im really loving all the comments everyone is saying, the two places im being considered for are both local pubs, not a night club or anything but any word of advice you have please keep them coming because im sure im not the only one wondering!

Things like pros and cons, hints and tips and stories you have are all decent feedback and actually quite fun to read! Pleaseee keep them coming

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joeleh)
    Whats everyones experience of working behind a bar? I'm 17 and i have been told that when I turn 18 in november that my local bar will hire me for the christmas shifts, but I have also been told that I would of been able to of started now if they didnt already have staff.

Being 17, it would of meant that I wouldnt be able to serve anyone unless a coworker who is over 18 was behind the bar with me, and as soon as they werent behind the bar that I wouldnt be able to take any orders. Has anyone heard of this before?

But anyway, I just want to hear peoples opinions who have experience so I know what I might be getting myself in for. Thanks!
    (Obviously follow your own premises guidelines for certain things, like non-payers and whatever, this is what I do and my premises guidelines)

You can serve any age restricted product over your own age if it's approved by a supervisor (someone over the age of that age restriction).

I work in a local nightclub, and YES i'd recommend it to people who can hack it. Bar work can be very rewarding and enjoyable, but only if you take abuse and whatever on the chin and just carry on. Let the doormen (if you have them!) or manager / supervisor deal with the pissheads who won't take no for an answer if you feel you aren't coping, and remember, YOU have the alcohol, not the customers, and the only way they are getting that alcohol is through you.

Remember "The customer is always right" ? Well, it doesnt apply when the customer is intoxicated! If someone says they gave you a twenty instead of a ten, get your till counted before assuming they were right unless a manager says otherwise.

ID ANYONE who looks under 21 unless you know 100% you've ID'd them before. Doesn't matter if they get checked at the door, You WILL get a £5k fine if you're caught selling alcohol to a minor, or knowingly selling alcohol thats going to a minor. I've caught a few underage people red handed, because they've been in the year below me at school. Take a look at WTD for examples of Fake ID. If in doubt, ask someone else.

Same applies to people who are VERY intoxicated, do not serve them, and if necessary let all your colleagues know not to serve them. (Or do what I do, give them a glass of water and refuse them service :cool: ).

Take all abuse on the chin. You're bound to get it, so don't let it bother you. At my club, we have a strict "No abuse towards staff" policy, i'm soft, my colleagues are not necessarily the same, but at the end of the day i've warned them once and if they carry on i let the doormen deal with them.

If people are being abusive and you serve them anyway,remember you are within your right to refuse them service, and remove their drinks from them (as long as you have taken no money from them). I have done in the past, taken someones drinks off them, and given them their money back, telling them to get lost from my bar before I get them kicked out.

When at the till, do not let people interrupt you while counting money, or getting change. If they want change instead of a note, give them all their change, then take the note they didnt want and change it. It prevents you making a mistake of giving too much change (and having your till down in the process!).

Make sure to feel bank notes, real notes will be rough, and when wet will not tear easily. If you have a UV light by the till, even better, check for a large number depicting the notes value either to the left of the watermark, or on the new £20's in the middle top of the note. (It's only on the queens head side, not the back). Follow this and you will 99.999999999999% get a real banknote every time.

In doubt? Follow this list:

• Feel note. Rough notes are good, completely smooth notes are bad.
    • Check the watermark
    • Check under UV light (if you have one)
    • If you have detector pens, use one. If a dark line shows up it's fake.
    • When wet, real notes will not "disintegrate", the ink will not smudge, and will be hard to tear.
    • Check against another note in the cash draw

If in doubt, ask a supervisor. Remember if you attempt to give out forged currency as change, even if you didn't know, it is illegal. Forged notes are worth ZILCH.

Check all coins, ensure that you are given pounds not euros, there are numerous foreign currencies with coins that look the same as UK coins but are not (and often lower value).

All in all, you should have fun. Don't be afraid of asking questions about how something is made, how to do whatever, to your colleagues, and if a customer orders something which is vague, double check (such as wine spritzers, check whether they want soda or lemonade!). Enjoy working behind a bar, and good luck! =D

Wall of text. Sorry, but i had nothing better to do at 3:41am :woo:

Have any more questions send me a PM, or send me your msn address and you can fire away as much as you like =)

ReputationRep:
    I started working in a nightclub when I was 17 and moved onto working on the bar itself when I was 18. Before that I was filling fridges and getting glasses.

Difficult job when its busy and with loud music.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.