Turn on thread page Beta

I'm scared of using eBay watch

ReputationRep:
    I know its pathetic and sounds like something your Nan would say but I am, I am too scared to use eBay.

Ok so I dont have a Paypal account but I want to sell something on there, do I need one? Or will the buyers money go into my bank account? Tbh thats my main concern, I'm holding back from selling something because I'm scared the money wont go through and I'll be scammed, can somebody reassure me? Cheers

Be brave.

ReputationRep:
    Ebay is relatively safe, you need a paypal account though.
    try selling some things that arent worth tonnes of money first to build your confidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovewaffles)
    Ebay is relatively safe, you need a paypal account though.
    try selling some things that arent worth tonnes of money first to build your confidence
    Do you need an account to sell?

ReputationRep:
    http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/ebayexp...ing/index.html

ReputationRep:
    Don't be scared - it's hardly a risk, just use your common sense.

I'm a self-confessed (obsessed) eBay-pro and I was a Powerseller until 2 months ago, so if you get into any difficulties, feel free to get in touch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    I know its pathetic and sounds like something your Nan would say but I am, I am too scared to use eBay.

Ok so I dont have a Paypal account but I want to sell something on there, do I need one? Or will the buyers money go into my bank account? Tbh thats my main concern, I'm holding back from selling something because I'm scared the money wont go through and I'll be scammed, can somebody reassure me? Cheers
    Get paypal first, its quite easy and theyre a reputable company. Then, you only send the item you're selling once you receive payment into your paypal account, so you cant be scammed. Send your item and hold up your end of the bargain, and you can also withdraw the money in your paypal account into your normal bank account. Its really quite easy, dont be scared.

EDIT: Also you dont NEED a paypal account, you can accept personal cheques and stuff if you want, but to be honest you're a LOT more likely to get scammed doing that, and it will put buyers off and therefore you're less likely to sell, just because most ebay buyers pay via paypal. Paypal also offers some protection for buyers incase you weren't to send the item.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigercallie)
    Get paypal first, its quite easy and theyre a reputable company. Then, you only send the item you're selling once you receive payment into your paypal account, so you cant be scammed. Send your item and hold up your end of the bargain, and you can also withdraw the money in your paypal account into your normal bank account. Its really quite easy, dont be scared.
    Ok well I have the paypal account, now do I just submit the details of this account into ebay, then sell my item? Will the money from the seller go straight into my Paypal account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Don't be scared - it's hardly a risk, just use your common sense.

I'm a self-confessed (obsessed) eBay-pro and I was a Powerseller until 2 months ago, so if you get into any difficulties, feel free to get in touch.
    Just out of interest, how much does P&P cost to the US and Germany?

ReputationRep:

what a pussy, cut your **** of and donate it to someone in africa. you should be ashamed of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the item - size and weight will vary the price.

ReputationRep:
    i was too, i didn't really trust online shopping anyway let alone something like ebay
    first thing i bought off there (out of desperation) were gig tickets for £109, so buying something that pricey from a site i'm wary of was quite a step, but i was strong and checked the reliability of the seller, the results was an amazing gig and now i'm hooked on online shopping, ebay and amazon.

but buying is different to selling...sell little things to build up confidence like already said
    and yes, paypal and you need an ebay account, chances of a better sell will be if you sell little things first and gain positive feedback

ReputationRep:
    You need to know the mass of the package.

Then go to Royalmail.co.uk and find "price calculator" - enter the mass, select parcel, and then select destination country so USA then Germany in turn, and it will produce costs.

I can't say as I don't know how heavy your item is!

ReputationRep:
    i only buy; i'm yet to venture down the scary business of selling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    You need to know the mass of the package.

Then go to Royalmail.co.uk and find "price calculator" - enter the mass, select parcel, and then select destination country so USA then Germany in turn, and it will produce costs.

I can't say as I don't know how heavy your item is!
    Its a jacket

ReputationRep:
    Its a jacket
    Guesstimate the mass in grams for me please.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to estimate (fairly accurately) the weight of the item. Remember to add a few grams to account for the packaging too.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well I have the paypal account, now do I just submit the details of this account into ebay, then sell my item? Will the money from the seller go straight into my Paypal account?
    Yeh thats pretty much it. All this is actually explained on ebays website so maybe you should look at that rather than ask? it will answer a lot more and the answers will definitely be correct! And yeh, as for postage costs, use the royalmail price calculator, and remember to add in the price of buying packaging materials eg. bubble wrap envelope, box etc

Happy Selling!!! OH OH also, when you post, ask for a proof of postage from the post office, its free and protects you if a buyer says it didnt arrive. I learnt that the hard way when i posted something and someone accused me of not sending it, so i had to give them their money back AND they already had my item. Sad but it happens

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.