Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

if a human could turn off their sexual desire completely, woudl they be happier? Watch

consider quite an attractive person who has an above average amount of power in terms of getting sex. this person has the normal level of sexual desire. if they had this desire turned off, would they have overall a better/more enjoyable/happier life? why/why not?

do you know of any pills which have the effect of killing sexual desire, without any horrible side effects? so that if you were a straight male and saw a beautiful girl, you just looked at her and felt the same way as you would if you were looking at a humdrum average looking male, with nothing exciting (looks-wise) about them.

Thread took ages to get approved. This is just a post trying to get the thread noticed.

do you think it would give them power over others?

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't be happier. But they'd be calmer...sexual frustration causes hassle.

It's give guys more power cos they are ruled by their genitalia.

ReputationRep:
    You can still be happy without sexual desire. There are those who claim to be asexual and I'm sure they can be happy as any heterosexual, homosexual, and bisexual. If humans were ignorant to sexual desire, I'm sure we could be happy, but happier than now? Nah. I think sexual desire is innate in humans and plays a large role in happiness. Why else do we get happy around those we like and driven to tears when heartbroken? I think, in addition to food and water, humans need sex. :p:

but humans could find other, easier to get things which would probably give them almost equal pleasure/satisfaction: hobbies, alcohol, exercise.

sex causes lots of negatives: worry about STIs, frustration when you're not getting what you want, etc. so why not stop sex and do other things instead? sex is like an addiction to something crappy. it is pretty much addiction. so if you could get off your sex addiction with pills, and then use other things for pleasure, wouldn't you be happier?

i'd say there are plenty of things which you could find which are better than sex, it's just that you're addicted to sex naturally. so why not cut the adddiction, since it's got so many negatives and sex isn't even gthe best thing you coudl be doing with the time?

I am 18, female. I can honestly say I have zero sexual desire. I have never experienced any feelings of that nature for anyone, I recognise people are handsome pretty but have not been physically attracted to anyone. I have never masturbated or wanted to or felt anything of that sort.
    My friend, male 18, is very sexual emotional and passionate - much more than normal. It leads him to extacy and to complete and utter suicidal dispair at times.

I think, on balance, I am the happier. When you have never had any sexual desire, you don't miss it because you don't know of it. I enjoy my life very much, in different ways. But I do think that I just have to meet the right person and the time will come.

Yes, I know I'm a freak.

if you're a freak, i'd say you're a freak in a good way. think of all the time you'll have saved etc

ReputationRep:
    I think in today's society it would possibly make for more happier individuals. So contantly we are aware of the good looks of other individuals - in day to day life, on the TV, in magazines - such that it isn't uncommon we manage to put ourselves down, thinking we are not phyically good enough in comparison (and perhaps we distort things, going as far as to think "in general" ). Because such empahsis is placed on the link between the way we look and relationships (erroneously or not), thinking "we're not physically good enough" can have a knock on effect on the individuals hopes and beliefs for their personal relationships. This is detrimental, as humans are social beings whereby love in paticular is fundamental to our self esteem. If we limit our belief in love, in our personal capability to attain love and in turn happiness, then I think we suffocate ourselves from something very important, thus decreasing our self esteem and happiness.

Now, it's very late, so if this is all waffle, I apologise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am 18, female. I can honestly say I have zero sexual desire. I have never experienced any feelings of that nature for anyone, I recognise people are handsome pretty but have not been physically attracted to anyone. I have never masturbated or wanted to or felt anything of that sort.
    My friend, male 18, is very sexual emotional and passionate - much more than normal. It leads him to extacy and to complete and utter suicidal dispair at times.

I think, on balance, I am the happier. When you have never had any sexual desire, you don't miss it because you don't know of it. I enjoy my life very much, in different ways. But I do think that I just have to meet the right person and the time will come.

Yes, I know I'm a freak.
    :eek: You're not a freak! Not at all! If you're thinking that in a bad way then please don't. I've come across several people such as yourself and there's nothing freakish about them And, btw, if you ever want to talk (I'm not saying that as if to imply there's something sinister/heavy/grave your behaviour, simply then it's fun to talk to others that can empathize), there's an asexual forum (which I think is what you perhaps identify as?) and community on the website in my sig. Feel free to come along

ReputationRep:

Yes, I know I'm a freak.
    I don't think you're freak. I haven't had sex, and I don't feel like I need it to survive. I can be happy without it. However, sex -- usually associated -- is the combination of physical and emotional love between two people. I think humans are happiest when they have found that right person and are in love. I love my family and friends, but romantic love is greater. The question refers to sexual desire which doesn't just mean sex, and you can't love your family romantically either.

ReputationRep:
    but humans could find other, easier to get things which would probably give them almost equal pleasure/satisfaction: hobbies, alcohol, exercise.

sex causes lots of negatives: worry about STIs, frustration when you're not getting what you want, etc. so why not stop sex and do other things instead? sex is like an addiction to something crappy. it is pretty much addiction. so if you could get off your sex addiction with pills, and then use other things for pleasure, wouldn't you be happier?
    Honestly, do you think hobbies can beat an orgasm? :p: When people are heart broken they swear off relationships, but they never swear off sex. Sex, as with anything, comes with consequences. Regardless, people are still having sex. I'm speaking for the majority of society here, not all.

You're thinking of the negatives rather than the positives. Like I said before, life without sexual desire can be very happy. But with sexual desire, and under the right circumstances, I believe someone can be happier.

(Original post by Ang|ophi|e)
    Honestly, do you think hobbies can beat an orgasm? :p: When people are heart broken they swear off relationships, but they never swear off sex. Sex, as with anything, comes with consequences. Regardless, people are still having sex. I'm speaking for the majority of society here, not all.

You're thinking of the negatives rather than the positives. Like I said before, life without sexual desire can be very happy. But with sexual desire, and under the right circumstances, I believe someone can be happier.
    the circumstances would have to be very very special, and aren't really the sort of thing most could get in real life. i'm thinking STIs not existing, no pregnancy to worry about, this person feeling completely uninhibited all the time, them being able to have sex withanyone on the spot, without it being looked at twice by anyone else. because even a normal person with a partner will look at hot people who they can't have and get frustrated. etc.

ReputationRep:
    they would probably be less antsy/frustrated/fidgety ... but I wouldn't say happier.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I would expect them to be less happy. I would personally live a life when I can experience the extremes, than one which fluctuates around the middle. I would say that the latter would be more consistently content, while the former has a situation where they can really experience "happiness".

ReputationRep:
    I think you are overthinking it tbh OP.

It ain't gonna happen. And even though it sucks, I like finding people attractive. Hot men are hot. Rawr. You see, I'm deriving enjoyment from it right now. It's great. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    They would probably get more done.

ReputationRep:
    If Freud's claim about desire lying on the other side of repugnance is true, maybe. :whoknows:
    Although, I think it depends in how you derive your own happiness.

ReputationRep:
    what if there were no silly hypothetical questions?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.