Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I have been together for around 7 months now. Recently he told me he did not want us to stay together when we went to uni because it would ruin my uni experience, which is true. After the initial shock of being dumped in advance I have come around to his way of thinking.
    We're still together and enjoying the last few weeks before we both leave, however I've developed a horrible idea in my head that I'm going to end up alone/lonely or used.

tl;dr: is being single at uni really as bad as i've been told?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's as bad as being single anywhere else. So, it's not horrible. But it's not the most fun thing ever.

ReputationRep:
    i really doubt it's ''bad''
    and besides you might find another love at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovewaffles)
    My boyfriend and I have been together for around 7 months now. Recently he told me he did not want us to stay together when we went to uni because it would ruin my uni experience, which is true. After the initial shock of being dumped in advance I have come around to his way of thinking.
    We're still together and enjoying the last few weeks before we both leave, however I've developed a horrible idea in my head that I'm going to end up alone/lonely or used.

Sounds like a real charmer.... It sounds like he thinks you'll ruin his Uni experience! :pig:

I really don't think being single at Uni will be a problem. I broke up with my boyfriend who was at Uni in May, due to distance and time sharing problems. It's easier to be single and meet someone while you're there, I'd say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    Sounds like a real charmer.... It sounds like he thinks you'll ruin his Uni experience! :pig:
    haha, that did cross my mind however he also said we could give it a go if i wanted. :o:

ReputationRep:
    haha, that did cross my mind however he also said we could give it a go if i wanted. :o:
    I hope he said that first, otherwise he definitely seems selfish! :o:

ReputationRep:

Nope you will have a great time ( Especially at trent ) even if you are single. A lot of people split up during the first few months anway. Just enjoy it while you are here - it won't be forever!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    I hope he said that first, otherwise he definitely seems selfish! :o:
    nah he said it after.
    we had an argument when he blurted the first bit out so i guess he came off as more selfish/mean then he is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    Nope you will have a great time ( Especially at trent ) even if you are single. A lot of people split up during the first few months anway. Just enjoy it while you are here - it won't be forever!
    thanks for the vote of confidence

ReputationRep:

Relax, just because you are about to be single doesn't by any means indicate that you are going to be single for a long time. Join clubs, societies and unions. You have a big experience ahead of you and along the way you're bound to meet a few sound guys. :-)

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the vote of confidence
    I have to be honest http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/p.gif only the single people here are fun! The other guys just lock themselves away and wait for the weekend so they can go back to see their other half. It's not always a bad thing but I guess ut just depends on what you want out of the uni experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    The other guys just lock themselves away and wait for the weekend so they can go back to see their other half.
    Definately not my idea of fun. :woo:

End up alone??! A girl ending up alone?? Nonsense. Theres more guys than girls in the world, the ratio is 1 and half guy to every girl. Female spinsters dont exist anymore

If anything, guys should be worried. Im 21, no relationships, never had one, been through uni and back, never will have one .. because its destiny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    End up alone??! A girl ending up alone?? Nonsense. Theres more guys than girls in the world, the ratio is 1 and half guy to every girl. Female spinsters dont exist anymore

If anything, guys should be worried. Im 21, no relationships, never had one, been through uni and back, never will have one .. because its destiny
    it will happen. i promise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.