Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    just wondering if anyone knows about this yet? where, when, what, things like that. maybe i'm impatient - i just come from a place where everyone knows all the details about their universities by july...

ReputationRep:
    Last year I got my freshers' pack near the end of August by airmail. If I remember correctly iCUSU organised events for international students a few days before the main freshers' week started. http://www.international.cusu.cam.ac.uk/freshersweek/ has details from last year.

To be honest I didn't find it very interesting and I even missed the University's "official" orientation for international students because I had a maths induction course at my college that day. To this day I still don't think I missed much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Positronized)
    Last year I got my freshers' pack near the end of August by airmail. If I remember correctly iCUSU organised events for international students a few days before the main freshers' week started. http://www.international.cusu.cam.ac.uk/freshersweek/ has details from last year.

To be honest I didn't find it very interesting and I even missed the University's "official" orientation for international students because I had a maths induction course at my college that day. To this day I still don't think I missed much.
    ah okay thanks.

ReputationRep:
    As a committee member from last year (in fact I wrote that page above), I can say that you'll generally hear some mumblings about international freshers week a month or more before term starts, depending on how organised people are. I can't say what the current committee is doing, but generally it will involve a number of city tours, international student social events, pub crawls, punting and the like. It's certainly not essential to attend, but if you can spare coming to Cambridge a few days early, and if your college is willing to give you accommodation, it's an opportunity to relax and do some fun things before the swarms of local freshers come in.

Some colleges will also arrange their own international freshers week, the iCUSU one is there as a university-wide event for colleges that don't and for people who want to meet people from other colleges. Churchill's international freshers week (which I'll be helping out at) starts at 28/29th September as a rough reference to when you can expect stuff to start.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.