Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pressured to read the classics? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im studying A level English Literature, and a few people in my class are roaring through the classics like there is no tomorrow. I don't really like classics, they are not something i would choose to read in my spare time.
    Should i be worried, or should i jump on the bandwagon? I don't want to feel like im reading them to keep up with the Jones'.

How much will it help with my Alevel, seeing as im not planning to study this at uni?

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    You're choosing english. You're going to have to read some classics - you'll probably be forced to as part of your syllabus anyway. Nothing wrong with classics - except for 'Tess of the D'urbervilles'. That ***** can die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    You're choosing english. You're going to have to read some classics - you'll probably be forced to as part of your syllabus anyway. Nothing wrong with classics - except for 'Tess of the D'urbervilles'. That ***** can die.

I've no problem with studying them as part of the course. It's just when it seems like people are reading them for the sake of reading them?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother reading classics in your spare time if you don't like them, especially if you're not planning to do it at uni. Alevel tends to be quite narrowly focused on the set texts in my experience, unlike degree essays when there is often more scope for bringing in wider reading. Your time's probably better spent just focusing on the set texts, and do something you actually like as a hobby!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paige7593)
    I've no problem with studying them as part of the course. It's just when it seems like people are reading them for the sake of reading them?
    Then don't care about what others think or say. Or if you care too much then pick up the novel and read.

ReputationRep:
    You're bound to get people reading the classics because either a) they actually like reading them, hence they're doing English or b) they want to fit in/be seen reading the classics. I don't think it really matters, just read something good that you enjoy. There's plenty to go at.

ReputationRep:
    Im studying A level English Literature, and a few people in my class are roaring through the classics like there is no tomorrow. I don't really like classics, they are not something i would choose to read in my spare time.
    Should i be worried, or should i jump on the bandwagon? I don't want to feel like im reading them to keep up with the Jones'.

How much will it help with my Alevel, seeing as im not planning to study this at uni?

Any advice?
    you sound stupid, i dont think you'll pass it anyway. drop it. pick media.

just read what you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeee)
    you sound stupid, i dont think you'll pass it anyway. drop it. pick media.
    I'm not stupid, i got an A in my As exam.
    I'm not boasting, just standing my ground

ReputationRep:
    I'm not stupid, i got an A in my As exam.
    I'm not boasting, just standing my ground
    if you got an A then just stick to whatever the **** you've been doing, its obviously worked. belllllend.

ReputationRep:
    You should read Pride and prejudice and zombies, I hear it's most entertaining.
    Or you could try watching the films of the classics, and that might make you feel more like reading the books themselves, but if you really don't enjoy it then don't force yourself. But, don't tarr all the classics with the same brush, you might not like some of them but there might be others you would love. It's good to read different things, so read what you want to read but don't be afraid to at least try classics from time to time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeee)
    if you got an A then just stick to whatever the **** you've been doing, its obviously worked. belllllend.
    Yeah...Thanks for that!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...Thanks for that!!!
    much obliged blud, safe.

ReputationRep:

Any advice?
    You should be fine not reading any of them. It might help you instead just to know a small amount about the major literary figures (Shakespeare, Milton, Wordsworth, Austen, Dickens, Tennyson, Wilde, Hardy, Kipling, T. S. Eliot etc) - particularly when they were writing and what they were writing about - but this is by no means essential.

Do you really not like any classics? There must be some you like. You could try some modern classics like Nineteen Eighty-Four, Lord of the Flies, The Catcher in the Rye, Catch-22 and To Kill a Mocking Bird. These examples are massively important culturally, potentially useful to refer to and probably more enjoyable to read by most people's tastes.

ReputationRep:
    Phillistine.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer reading cereal packets

ReputationRep:
    I read loads of classics through my course, and it did help in the synoptic unit, as well as other parts of the course because I was able to make allusions to other texts and know a bit more about the context etc. I also liked reading what other people in my class had read so we could discuss it together. It's not obligatary to read them, and you'd probably do just as well reading more modern literature, if that's what you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Unless it's Gemma Arterton, in which case that ***** can come round my house for tea.

OP, if you're not planning on studying English at uni, there's no need to read such material if you don't want to.

What is it about the classics you dislike?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've got an English degree from a very good university, and I almost never read classics in my spare time (except for a very few select authors). Read what you want!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 26, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.