Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tiredness and depression(and maybe sleep pattern) questions/problems Watch

ReputationRep:
    PART 1 : Skip this if need be.

Ok I have never been a "normal" sleeper or maybe I was, I rarely stayed up late until I was 18 then started drinking for 2 months until my overdrafts and credit cards ran out, as you do then balanced back to normal after moving into private accomodation, pretty much was in bed 2-3am each day.

When I was 21 I went to bed around 3am each night as in at 3am I went to bathroom to brush teeth and have a wash and was in bed around 3.10am.

At 22 I had a family death so my sleep pattern was destoryed, went through a stage og going to bed around 6-8am each night as was up playing online games(as at same time got broadband) then when I moved back to the place I was living at 21 my sleep pattern went back to around 5am each dady, then a year later 6am each night then got to the point about 18 months ago that I sleep different times each night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 2 : More essential info.

I want to sleep at different hours after the last few years of depression and messed up sleeping pattern, I only want to sleep when my brain is tired I could be physically exhausted but my brain gets its energy at different times and its only when the 2 seem to get their energy at the same times do I feel normal.

I'm not sure what is the culprit, bad diet bad sleeping pattern or depression or all 3 or something new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EarlHickey)
    PART 1 : Skip this if need be.

Ok I have never been a "normal" sleeper or maybe I was, I rarely stayed up late until I was 18 then started drinking for 2 months until my overdrafts and credit cards ran out, as you do then balanced back to normal after moving into private accomodation, pretty much was in bed 2-3am each day.

When I was 21 I went to bed around 3am each night as in at 3am I went to bathroom to brush teeth and have a wash and was in bed around 3.10am.

At 22 I had a family death so my sleep pattern was destoryed, went through a stage og going to bed around 6-8am each night as was up playing online games(as at same time got broadband) then when I moved back to the place I was living at 21 my sleep pattern went back to around 5am each dady, then a year later 6am each night then got to the point about 18 months ago that I sleep different times each night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 2 : More essential info.

I want to sleep at different hours after the last few years of depression and messed up sleeping pattern, I only want to sleep when my brain is tired I could be physically exhausted but my brain gets its energy at different times and its only when the 2 seem to get their energy at the same times do I feel normal.

I'm not sure what is the culprit, bad diet bad sleeping pattern or depression or all 3 or something new.

Just make sure that you do keep busy during the daytime and as night falls your body clock will just zone to sleep straight where your mind will be renewed and refreshed by the time you wake up even if its a 3-6 hours sleep.

ReputationRep:
    its probably a combination of the 3. go see your doctor, ask whether it could be chronic fatigue. the family death could have triggered it.

although, your body could just have possibly gotten into the pattern of going to sleep really late, and you reversed your night and day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jen19)
    its probably a combination of the 3. go see your doctor, ask whether it could be chronic fatigue. the family death could have triggered it.

although, your body could just have possibly gotten into the pattern of going to sleep really late, and you reversed your night and day.
    I just dont know because I could have say 2-3 hours sleep and be up for like 20 hours but the 20th hour could be say 4am and all of a sudden I get energy and want to do something despite feeling rough and hungover as such, last night even I managed to drag myself to bed at 4am and saw it getting light and started feeling a bit better.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure your getting enough exercise - a brisk walk or run in the evening may help - I feel it works with me and I feel better in mood once i've done a bit of cardio too.

ReputationRep:
    This may seem flippant but get a 9-5 job, especially over the summer.
    At uni i sleep completely random hours (7am-7pm one day. 2am-6am and 1am to 3pm the next) and i'm always tired, lacking enery, hardly bothered to talk i'm that depressed.

Now i have a routine, up at 7.30, bed at 11.30, busy all day and i feel so much better. I can't make myself be in a routine without a job but maybe you can? force yourself and you'll feel better for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romeos*****)
    This may seem flippant but get a 9-5 job, especially over the summer.
    At uni i sleep completely random hours (7am-7pm one day. 2am-6am and 1am to 3pm the next) and i'm always tired, lacking enery, hardly bothered to talk i'm that depressed.

Now i have a routine, up at 7.30, bed at 11.30, busy all day and i feel so much better. I can't make myself be in a routine without a job but maybe you can? force yourself and you'll feel better for it.
    The best way for me to get a pattern is to not sleep for 1-3 days honestly as I used to do that a few years ago before my family death i.e if I stayed up later than usual for a few nights I just wouldnt sleep at all then stay awake till midnight following day then I would be back to normal but I dont seem to be capable of that these days, if I stay up past 8 or 9am I feel physically sick.

I do get the willpower temporarily i.e I go to bed early for a while never lasted more than 2 weeks though but thats because I wake up at 10 or 11am and by midnight I feel so ill that I can barely stay concious.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.