Turn on thread page Beta

Cat just came in injured... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

My cat just came in after being out for ages (unlike her), and I noticed she wasn't opening either of her eyes, sitting there with both of them shut. Her left eye is fine upon closer inspection, but her right eye looks seriously weird. She won't open it at all, there's white all around her eye (not the eyeball, the fur surrounding the eye), but the weird thing is it looks like white fur, not discharge, like the fur has been dyed/stained?

She opened her eye once, and the actual eyeball itself looked fine, no redness or swelling. I thought perhaps she might have had her cornea scratched and perhaps the tear duct, which would maybe explain the ''dyed'' fur, but I would have thought her eyeball would be red.

Anyway, worth taking to the vets? She's been trying to sleep but can't, and keeps rubbing her eye against my duvet and with her paws. She's hissing one minute, not wanting me near her, the next she's jumping on my lap and purring (which I understand they often do when they're in pain), then going off and sitting somewhere else.

Just wasn't sure if this was a minor thing or not. I've read up on google about eye injuries, and it seems to vary from, "leave on it's own accord/treat with eyedrops", to "take to vets immediately", so wasn't sure what this constituted as.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oo_Lucinda_oo)
    Hey,

My cat just came in after being out for ages (unlike her), and I noticed she wasn't opening either of her eyes, sitting there with both of them shut. Her left eye is fine upon closer inspection, but her right eye looks seriously weird. She won't open it at all, there's white all around her eye (not the eyeball, the fur surrounding the eye), but the weird thing is it looks like white fur, not discharge, like the fur has been dyed/stained?

She opened her eye once, and the actual eyeball itself looked fine, no redness or swelling. I thought perhaps she might have had her cornea scratched and perhaps the tear duct, which would maybe explain the ''dyed'' fur, but I would have thought her eyeball would be red.

Anyway, worth taking to the vets? She's been trying to sleep but can't, and keeps rubbing her eye against my duvet and with her paws. She's hissing one minute, not wanting me near her, the next she's jumping on my lap and purring (which I understand they often do when they're in pain), then going off and sitting somewhere else.

Just wasn't sure if this was a minor thing or not. I've read up on google about eye injuries, and it seems to vary from, "leave on it's own accord/treat with eyedrops", to "take to vets immediately", so wasn't sure what this constituted as.

Thanks.
    Well if it's the same tomorrow, I'd take her to the vets just to make sure - the behaviour you describe does sound like some kind of pain...Especially if you have insurance!

ReputationRep:
    Take her to the Vet!

ReputationRep:
    this may sound like the most stupidest idea ever but can you, for the time being(tonight that is) get a hot flannel and rub the eye lid?:redface: sorry if that is bad advice i have no idea about pets but just an idea!

ReputationRep:
    i would clean the eye first and foremost

ReputationRep:
    I would try to clean it very gently with water if she will let you and take her to the vets asap if it doesn't get any better.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.