Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubbles50)
    haha wow. the police (we have school police) would be right on us if we tried egging other years etc! did you not get study leave (before that) then?

http://www.societies.cam.ac.uk/cuhags/whitetie/defn.htm
    The cambridge definition of what it is has them on the accessories link, so it just depends on whether people want to I suppose.
    Why that page concentrates on mens clothes I don't know :s
    You have school police? :facepalm: What genius idiot thought up that one?

That was us off for study leave and school forever, at the end of April. We just had to go back in to do tests and thats us. We were the earliest school in Northern Ireland let off I think :p:

That sounds brilliant, I hope I get to go to one now, I definitly would wear it, wouldn't care what people would say/how people would look at me. It would be so worth it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    You have school police? :facepalm: What genius idiot thought up that one?

That was us off for study leave and school forever, at the end of April. We just had to go back in to do tests and thats us. We were the earliest school in Northern Ireland let off I think :p:

That sounds brilliant, I hope I get to go to one now, I definitly would wear it, wouldn't care what people would say/how people would look at me. It would be so worth it :yep:

They're real police who work for and like to wander around our school (because our school isn't a problem they tend to spend more time at the school next door)

& jealous! we didn't get study leave at all, but we are pretty much the only school I know, and people didn't go to class that much the rest of time so it made no difference really. Noone got chased up for not coming in whilst exams were on =]

And why not, how many are you ever gonna get to go to might as well go all out :yes:

Edit: I said "they're like real police" when they actually are real police lol

ReputationRep:
    They're real police who work for and like to wander around our school (because our school isn't a problem they tend to spend more time at the school next door)

& jealous! we didn't get study leave at all, but we are pretty much the only school I know, and people didn't go to class that much the rest of time so it made no difference really. Noone got chased up for not coming in whilst exams were on =]

And why not, how many are you ever gonna get to go to might as well go all out :yes:

Edit: I said "they're like real police" when they actually are real police lol
    :facepalm: Real police in your school. Shows how busy they are :rolleyes: Police over here are too busy trying to catch people going 1mph over the speed limit and slapping on a hefty fine and penalty points :p:

No study leave=death. To be fair I went into school to study as I found it hard to concentrate at home, what with the computer and xbox so close :p:

Definitly, but I am telling you, there will be very few boys who will actually do it, for fear of being laughed at/getting the hand taken out of them :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: Real police in your school. Shows how busy they are :rolleyes: Police over here are too busy trying to catch people going 1mph over the speed limit and slapping on a hefty fine and penalty points :p:

No study leave=death. To be fair I went into school to study as I found it hard to concentrate at home, what with the computer and xbox so close :p:

Definitly, but I am telling you, there will be very few boys who will actually do it, for fear of being laughed at/getting the hand taken out of them :sadnod:

East London schools bladd :rolleyes:
    Tbh there are schools in my borough that could do with police, mine isn't one of them. Still, they were alright and you could have a chat/ or joke with them (if they were there, you wouldn't like go find them for a chat lol). They're just unecessary.

It made us more annoyed that the GCSE kids, doing their three GNVQs etc, got study leave.

Yeah, especially with Peterhouse's which is only white tie *preferred* so some may even go in Black Tie, Magdalene should hopefully get a few.
    It's nice that it's one of those rare times when girls will have less trouble getting dressed than guys

ReputationRep:
    East London schools bladd :rolleyes:
    Tbh there are schools in my borough that could do with police, mine isn't one of them. Still, they were alright and you could have a chat/ or joke with them (if they were there, you wouldn't like go find them for a chat lol). They're just unecessary.

It made us more annoyed that the GCSE kids, doing their three GNVQs etc, got study leave.

Yeah, especially with Peterhouse's which is only white tie *preferred* so some may even go in Black Tie, Magdalene should hopefully get a few.
    It's nice that it's one of those rare times when girls will have less trouble getting dressed than guys
    lol I would say so with it being London, but then again the news probably makes it seem worse than it actually is.

We got off 2 weeks earlier than the GCSE ones, we also had an end of year ceremony on a night we were off before we started the tests, which meant after we all went out to the pub. Was a fun night, which ended up in a girls house getting wrecked(and that was the least thing we did, somethings that happened could not be put on here)

Is it really harder for boys to get dressed for these occassions? Its just a matter of getting the things and thats it, I can't see me having to much problems with that to be honest :yes: Only thing I will have bother with is that I will have to go get my haircut :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I can't see there being too many chavs at Cambridge, thankfully.
    There are chavs in Cambridge. Thankfully, you can avoid them. You just have to avoid the 'less exclusive' may balls.:tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Is it really harder for boys to get dressed for these occassions? Its just a matter of getting the things and thats it, I can't see me having to much problems with that to be honest :yes: Only thing I will have bother with is that I will have to go get my haircut :rolleyes:
    You have no idea. I have never been more confused (except in every supervision ever) than when getting dressed in white tie. You have to build the waistcoat yourself (the back strap isn't attached to the front panel, and it comes with studs rather than buttons), attach it to your shirt, figure out the shirt studs (and not get them confused with the waistcoat studs, attach the shirt to the trousers and the waistcoat to the trousers and then tie the bow tie...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrogant Git)
    There are chavs in Cambridge. Thankfully, you can avoid them. You just have to avoid the 'less exclusive' may balls.
    Thanks, thats good news to me . I was hoping to escape the sound of hardcore dance/trance nation that I regularly hear in our school being played from iPods too loudly, and their multicoloured, fluorescent tops :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea. I have never been more confused (except in every supervision ever) than when getting dressed in white tie. You have to build the waistcoat yourself (the back strap isn't attached to the front panel, and it comes with studs rather than buttons), attach it to your shirt, figure out the shirt studs (and not get them confused with the waistcoat studs, attach the shirt to the trousers and the waistcoat to the trousers and then tie the bow tie...
    Ok you have me lost, even looking at the requirements for black tie look confusing enough :sadnod: Seems my lack of experience is showing. Can you not just buy the stuff from a shop and thats you?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, thats good news to me . I was hopping to escape the sound of hardcore dance/trance nation that I regularly hear in our school being played from iPods too loudly, and their multicoloured, fluorescent tops :sadnod:
    How does hopping help?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    How does hopping help?:confused:
    Sorry typo. should be hoping

ReputationRep:
    Sorry typo. should be hoping
    I realised. I just had this vision of someone surrounded by chavs jumping up and down on one leg with his fingers in his ears.

Regarding White tie, you hire everything from the shops, but actually getting dressed is quite confusing. It took my three goes to get the sequence completely right.

I'd say most people are pretty confused by formalwear before Cambridge. But it's all part of the rich social education you can expect.

ReputationRep:
    I realised. I just had this vision of someone surrounded by chavs jumping up and down on one leg with his fingers in his ears.

Regarding White tie, you hire everything from the shops, but actually getting dressed is quite confusing. It took my three goes to get the sequence completely right.

I'd say most people are pretty confused by formalwear before Cambridge. But it's all part of the rich social education you can expect.
    :rofl: I laughed when you pointed it out on me as I imagined myself hopping away from a bunch of chavs who were strutting their way after me with knives :p:

I see, thats good and I am definitly looking forward to it. I was hoping it would be as easy to get ready for as my school formal though

ReputationRep:
    lol I would say so with it being London, but then again the news probably makes it seem worse than it actually is.

We got off 2 weeks earlier than the GCSE ones, we also had an end of year ceremony on a night we were off before we started the tests, which meant after we all went out to the pub. Was a fun night, which ended up in a girls house getting wrecked(and that was the least thing we did, somethings that happened could not be put on here)

London (used to, not sure about now) have more people than Scotland, in an obviously smaller area, so while it is definitely bad, I think that in the news saying "X murders in london" is actually referring to greater london makes it seem worse. Where my secondary school was so strict I never really saw as much of it as I might have (holding an unlit cigarette would probably have been sufficient to get you detention) but then nights out in town certainly make up for it =/
    This year was actually the first year the sixth form leavers party didn't trash a pub, get stopped by the police etc. That I know of =/

Did you read some of the stuff on that cambridge link i put a few posts ago? Looks rather complicated as opposed to: curl/straighten hair, bit of makeup, couple pieces of jewellery and slip on a dress and shoes. Oh and a stole. All easy to put on and we've had plenty of practice at them all lol. Shopping is the only 'hard' bit, but that's fun and probably a welcome relief from work =]

ReputationRep:
    London (used to, not sure about now) have more people than Scotland, in an obviously smaller area, so while it is definitely bad, I think that in the news saying "X murders in london" is actually referring to greater london makes it seem worse. Where my secondary school was so strict I never really saw as much of it as I might have (holding an unlit cigarette would probably have been sufficient to get you detention) but then nights out in town certainly make up for it =/
    This year was actually the first year the sixth form leavers party didn't trash a pub, get stopped by the police etc. That I know of =/

Did you read some of the stuff on that cambridge link i put a few posts ago? Looks rather complicated as opposed to: curl/straighten hair, bit of makeup, couple pieces of jewellery and slip on a dress and shoes. Oh and a stole. All easy to put on and we've had plenty of practice at them all lol. Shopping is the only 'hard' bit, but that's fun and probably a welcome relief from work =]
    I am actually thinking of planning a few nights in London during term actually at the weekends since it is so close

That you know of...:p:

I just read it there, seems far to complicated for a boy. Shopping is never fun, except for a few very small things. All the same I will enjoy going all out and dressing up like that

EDIT:just noticed the accessories:white gloves, top hat and cane for me

ReputationRep:
    I can't see there being too many chavs at Cambridge, thankfully.
    Ho ho...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Ho ho...
    What am I wrong? Or do you think I am saying a derogatory comment about chavs?

ReputationRep:
    What am I wrong? Or do you think I am saying a derogatory comment about chavs?
    I was wryly amused that you thought we didn't have any at Cambridge. Contra Arrogant Git, they're pretty difficult to avoid unless you completely boycott the town centre at night. On Friday and Saturday nights they get their loud cars and race around Market Square as loudly as humanly possible. But yes, not really any different to most other places. At least they're not in the majority, which makes a nice change from where I lived before.

ReputationRep:
    I was wryly amused that you thought we didn't have any at Cambridge. Contra Arrogant Git, they're pretty difficult to avoid unless you completely boycott the town centre at night. On Friday and Saturday nights they get their loud cars and race around Market Square as loudly as humanly possible. But yes, not really any different to most other places. At least they're not in the majority, which makes a nice change from where I lived before.
    Ahh yes, my post isn't clear enough, I meant no/few chavs attending the actual university, so I might escape them for a while during classes etc. As for being in the town centre it isn't that bad since they are not in the majority and I can just ignore their antics so long as they are not directed at me. Also as long as the nightclubs don't have the entire collection/playlist as trance/cheesy dance then I will survive. As for the cars I will be fine so long as they don't run me over or wake me up :p:

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge chavs are quite civilised. They don't even tuck their tracky bottoms into their socks. Most people don't get stabbed. And I only saw a fight at a taxi rank once. We don't even have any proper town v gown stuff like they have at Oxford.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.