Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i was just wondering what the word was upon the sort of products mentioned in the title! Are they effective? do they have side effects? are they worth the money? etc

cheers for the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiveFastDieYoung)
    Are they effective?
    Most thermogenics and fat loss aids account for 5% of fat loss (if that).

Where you're going to make the most difference is by cleaning up your diet and exercising more. Sadly there are no shortcuts.

do they have side effects?
    The main ingredient in many is caffeine, so the usual effects of high doses of caffeine; insomnia, heart palpitations, anxiety, etc.

Adonis/Taleb managed to hospitalise himself while using Hotrox.

are they worth the money?
    When you take into account the high cost, the marginal increase in fat loss and the side effects...no, not for me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ch0c for mod.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, not worth 35 quid a pop!

creatine for 10 quid? better value?

ReputationRep:
    Creatine is unlikely to make much of a difference in relation to fat loss either.

If it's too good to be true, it normally is.

Like I said, you need to sort out your diet and exercise regime.

ReputationRep:
    my regime is pretty sorted and i am seeing results its just i wanna speed things up a tad for summer, ive got 6 weeks left to i fly to turkey and i need to increase the gains a bit.

been exercising for 6 weeks at the moment, put on around 3.5-4kg of what i assume is lean muscle because i dont look fatter and seem more defined and my obliques are visible but i want a defined six pack.

only problem is i cant put in the time required to eat 6 times a day so im looking for another way to boost my metabolism

ReputationRep:
    Your cutting but have gained that much? I've been at it a bit longer than you now and although I am starting to see definition in some muscles I always lose weight at each weekly weigh-in. You can't gain muscle that fast when cutting.

I've also thought of trying some of these products but imo their too expensive for a "may or may not work" pill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    Your cutting but have gained that much? I've been at it a bit longer than you now and although I am starting to see definition in some muscles I always lose weight at each weekly weigh-in. You can't gain muscle that fast when cutting.

I've also thought of trying some of these products but imo their too expensive for a "may or may not work" pill.
    i was following one of these "build lean muscle and lose fat at the same time" programs, i dont think the increased mass will have occured entirely in the 6 weeks, probably longer as ive been reasonably fit with the rowing for my college before i started this intense regime. I know i was around 72kg at the christmas when i weighed in for a rowing competition now im regularly measuring between 74-77kg.

what does your cutting diet consist of and what sort of exercises do you do? cardio?

ReputationRep:
    what does your cutting diet consist of and what sort of exercises do you do? cardio?
    Normally four meals a day, I know I should be having six really, quite a lot of protein made up mainly by chicken breast and the rest is mainly complex carbs.

I do resistance training 3 days a week followed by HIIT and I also do steady state cardio two days a week.

Ephedrine/caffeine stack melts fat off you and has an anti-catabolic effect too.

But it's not for the faint at heart, literally.

Heard clen'll do the job even better though.

ReputationRep:
    Thermobol alone is IMO, not that great.
    Thermobol with 30mg of ephedrine and 300mg aspirin is VERY good!

ReputationRep:
    Too bad ephedrine is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    You can get Sida Cordifolia which contains ephedrine from places like CNP.

I take that and caffeine before workouts, more for the energy boost than anything - the direct effects of weight loss i'm not sure about, but these two with taurine can let me do a lot of cardio on a morning fast (well, with 1 boiled egg) compared with no stims.

I used to take ALCAR instead of Sida when I wanted to lose weight but that stops me sleeping at night, though I used to wake up quite refreshed and actually needed less sleep too.

ReputationRep:
    Pure Eph HCl is.

But walk into any pharmacy in the country and ask for Chesteze. It contains 18mg of Eph HCl per tab (plus caffeine and theophylline (sp?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatboyGinger)
    Pure Eph HCl is.

But walk into any pharmacy in the country and ask for Chesteze. It contains 18mg of Eph HCl per tab (plus caffeine and theophylline (sp?).
    Or get Sida and not waste money on cough medicine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.