Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Working hours - how many are you allowed if a full-time student?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've decided to finish my postgraduate course faster and just do it full-time :p:

I was studying part-time, and was quite frankly getting sick of it, sorry to be blunt :o:

Ok I love learning new things, but I think I'd like to graduate at the start of next year! Lol.

So anyway I have this job working for the government in admin and it's pretty swish, I do quite well there. I'm currently working between 12-18 hours. Is this too much??? You can be honest I don't mind. I've undertaken the last 4 units or modules of this course.

Thanks for reading!

DBxox

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of Uni students that do 12-18 hours a week but you might need less for full time PhD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    I know a lot of Uni students that do 12-18 hours a week but you might need less for full time PhD.
    Yeah because there's no lectures!

However my course is pretty good in that there are only 6 contact hours. All on the same day which rocks.

So yep, it's just the hours of homework left which bothers me! I work all day on Thurs and Fri, that's 14 hours in total, if I don't get let out early on Fri.

Sometimes I'll be asked to work Sat am for 3 hours, hence 12-18 hours.

Most of the time should be 14 though.

Do you think I will be fine?

Cheers for post so far x

ReputationRep:
    I think it's legal to work 20 hours for me but I'm a EU student. So you might even be allowed more? Dunno if that's sensible though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared I'll freak during exam time. But the odd thing is I always do, and end up fine :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    I think it's legal to work 20 hours for me but I'm a EU student. So you might even be allowed more? Dunno if that's sensible though.
    Wow I admire whoever can work 20 hours per week and study full-time!!!

Anyway I just checked my diary, and it will be 14 hours most weeks.

There are just THREE occasions where I will have to work 18 hours, someone is going away and it'll be then (beginning of Sep, Oct and Nov and then it's a wrap). Ah still scared though, do you think I'm being a big whinger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella)
    Wow I admire whoever can work 20 hours per week and study full-time!!!

Anyway I just checked my diary, and it will be 14 hours most weeks.

There are just THREE occasions where I will have to work 18 hours, someone is going away and it'll be then (beginning of Sep, Oct and Nov and then it's a wrap). Ah still scared though, do you think I'm being a big whinger?
    Nope, university is important and in my last job I only worked like 10 hours and I was still happy when I had the weekend off So I think you're gonna work enough anyway. I hope it'll be a fun job though

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's a legal limit. I could be wrong, though. I worked full-time whilst I was at university (50 hours a week). That was undergrad study, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Nope, university is important and in my last job I only worked like 10 hours and I was still happy when I had the weekend off So I think you're gonna work enough anyway. I hope it'll be a fun job though
    Thanks hun

Yeah it's alright, and I agree with you about having weekends off, yay! Although usually my bf kidnaps me hehe.

Which I like :o:

Anyway, back to my trouble here.

Ok so we've got 14 hours, and 4 modules.

Do able?

I just wanna pass or get a credit at most, I'm pretty easy-going so long as I get my postgrad cert in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I don't think there's a legal limit. I could be wrong, though. I worked full-time whilst I was at university (50 hours a week). That was undergrad study, though.
    :eek:

:adore:

Could NOT do, lol.

ReputationRep:

Could NOT do, lol.
    Haha. It didn't give me any completely free time, of course. Like I say though, I'm pretty sure (though not 100%) that I wasn't breaking any laws by doing so.

ReputationRep:
    God did you even sleep?!?

I like to have a nice 8 hours there for me to sleep in, and have enough time to see my friends.

But it's nice to see it is possible, I guess, to do even more hours :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    God did you even sleep?!?

I like to have a nice 8 hours there for me to sleep in, and have enough time to see my friends.

But it's nice to see it is possible, I guess, to do even more hours
    Sleeping happened between the hours of around 1am and 6am. :p:
    Luckily, I worked from home and lived with my best friend, so I wasn't missing out on time with friends. Suppose if that's not an option you can always force your friends to come and work with you... :angel:

ReputationRep:
    you can work as many or as few hours as you want, none of us are going to know whether or not you personally can cope with working x amount of hours so you'll just have to find out for yourself.
    If it is too many hours though, DON'T feel obliged to do that many if you feel you can't and its messing your degree up cos that'll cost you a lot more than what you'll lose be working a few hours less.

ReputationRep:
    Work as much as you want, but give yourself time to focus on your degree

ReputationRep:
    I'll be working about 55 hours per week while studying full time.
    That includes 20 hours in my main work but boss has agreed I can do half of that from home.

Different people are able to handle different workloads. One may be able to work 70+ hours a week, another may be unable to do any work while at Uni.
    One way of paying the bills.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.