Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where are you getting your Fresher's week money and accomodation deposit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of debts to pay off, I should earn maybe £1000 maximum before I start University but nearly all of that has to pay other stuff off And buying some glasses and contact lenses

So I'm struggling to find the £100 (or more?) deposit and the money for Fresher's Week.

Where are you going to get your money from?

ReputationRep:
    Parents! But otherwise, could you not use some of the overdraft on your student bank account (assuming you've got one)?

ReputationRep:
    If it's impossible to get hold of cash then I think getting a student account would be best, only bank i've looked at that offers student accounts so far is Natwest and they will give you a £1250 over draft, which is interest free. However, from what I see on the leaflet they normally limit the amount you're allowed a term. So in the first term you're allowed £500 overdraft, second £1000, third £1250.

I'm not sure how much you're deposit will be but I paid mine yesterday, £250

ReputationRep:
    oh great. i have all this to look forward to next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s810207)
    oh great. i have all this to look forward to next year
    If you have a job, save as much as you can from it. If you don't have a job, find one and save as much as you can! :p: Will make it a lot easier if you have money behind you to begin with

ReputationRep:
    Deposits are usually £200-300, i'd get an overdraft if I was you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brap pap pap)
    If you have a job, save as much as you can from it. If you don't have a job, find one and save as much as you can! :p: Will make it a lot easier if you have money behind you to begin with

Thanks for the advice! I'm looking for a job atm but not very successful!! I get EMA £30 a week, plus bonuses. So i suppose i should save some of that. How much money do u think i should save from EMA if i cant find a job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melana)
    Parents! But otherwise, could you not use some of the overdraft on your student bank account (assuming you've got one)?
    Nope, I can't get a student bank account afaik because I've got a **** credit rating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s810207)
    Thanks for the advice! I'm looking for a job atm but not very successful!! I get EMA £30 a week, plus bonuses. So i suppose i should save some of that. How much money do u think i should save from EMA if i cant find a job?
    It's all dependant really on what you have to pay for yourself etc.
    Work out how much you should get from EMA in the year you'll be at school and take an amount out of that that you wish to keep for university =)
    And gl with the job hunting!

ReputationRep:
    Parents and my personal savings account (~£1000)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Nope, I can't get a student bank account afaik because I've got a **** credit rating
    The only other thing I could suggest is dependant on who you owe money too, ask if they can give you some extra lee-way with the money you owe :/

ReputationRep:
    Are you getting a student loan?

ReputationRep:
    It's all dependant really on what you have to pay for yourself etc.
    Work out how much you should get from EMA in the year you'll be at school and take an amount out of that that you wish to keep for university =)
    And gl with the job hunting!
    Ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    The only other thing I could suggest is dependant on who you owe money too, ask if they can give you some extra lee-way with the money you owe :/
    It's like companies (store credit and phone bills) so I doubt it. My phone contract runs out in October, which is good, but it means I can't use the £80 from that (2 months at £40) to pay for fresher's week haha. I will probably ask parents for accomodation deposit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melana)
    Are you getting a student loan?
    Yeah, but that doesn't come through until after Fresher's, does it?

ReputationRep:
    It's like companies (store credit and phone bills) so I doubt it. My phone contract runs out in October, which is good, but it means I can't use the £80 from that (2 months at £40) to pay for fresher's week haha. I will probably ask parents for accomodation deposit.
    You really have hit a sticky wicket haha, hopefully your parents can lend you some

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but that doesn't come through until after Fresher's, does it?
    Depends on when you applied for it, I thought. But I applied really late for mine so I'm a rubbish source of information. I guess just try and save every penny you can from now on until you start :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried? because they almost seemed to give me a bit of overdraft by default.. alternatively you could say "give me the overdraft or I'm not banking with you"?

and if I was short on cash(generally) I would not have a £40 contract phone bill! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    OMG you guys are lucky! my deposit is £400 I honestly don't know where I'm getting the money from for fresher's week. Probably from my boyfriend XD HA

ReputationRep:
    So in the first term you're allowed £500 overdraft, second £1000, third £1250.
    I have a student account with Natwest that I opened last year, just before uni and they give you the full overdraft amount and if you want you can increase the overdraft in your second and third year, which I'm not bothering with as I rarely used my overdraft and if I did it was by about £50.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.