Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

embarrased cuz i think i might have been using a machine wrong Watch

ReputationRep:
    you know the gym machine that you step up and down on. its basically one foot goes up and the other goes down...
    well i usually press down hard but i saw a girl on it and she didnt push her foot right down , just a tiny bit, bt then i saw an old woman doing it the same way i did
    i dk what the machine is called

ReputationRep:
    I'd be embarrassed if I was using that machine too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    i saw a girl on it ...
    then i saw an old woman doing it...
    Try a different machine?

ReputationRep:
    nah i like it, it burns lot of calories and works out your legs well..but can you tell me if im doing it right

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    cross trainer ?

ReputationRep:
    nope its not that
    its basically justyour feet going up and down

ReputationRep:
    A stepper??

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a cross trainer?

ReputationRep:
    I know the one you mean, you're doing it right, you're meant to push your feet down to the bottom, well at least that's what my PE teacher told me

ReputationRep:
    it's the one that makes it seem like you are walking up the stairs but really you are just walkig on some weird stepper.. uuuh I think =D

ReputationRep:
    Is it this:

or this:

ReputationRep:
    I always do **** wrong at the gym. I was doing some lat exercise that my friend told me about, but was standing the wrong way. The cable practically strangled me every rep. People were definately looking (which is when I figured I might be doing it wrong). It was slightly embarrasing at the time, but you just have to shrug it off. The gym is no place to be self conscious.

ReputationRep:
    You're supposed to keep the foot pads going, you can't let them drop - that's the exercise - keeping the pads from hitting the floor.

It's a stepper, not a cross trainer.

ReputationRep:
    you know the gym machine that you step up and down on. its basically one foot goes up and the other goes down...
    well i usually press down hard but i saw a girl on it and she didnt push her foot right down , just a tiny bit, bt then i saw an old woman doing it the same way i did
    i dk what the machine is called
    its called a stepper, and your not supposed to let your leg go down so your supposed to quickl step on the other one and then to stop that going all the way down you step the other foot, and the higher the level you go, the faster the steps drop so you have to work harder to keep them up

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't let either of the steps hit the bottom it doesn't really matter. I used to use it on the lowest level as a warm-down from squats and running but I've never sweat as much as I did on that.

ReputationRep:
    so i have been doing it wrong then...grrr so embarrassing..

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it mate, I see people screwing stuff up at the gym all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Sounds like a cross trainer?
    I just watched your signature for a solid two minutes, and I still can't beat the head to the view.

ReputationRep:
    so i have been doing it wrong then...grrr so embarrassing..
    Don't worry, no-one really pays attention anyway!

If you're ever in doubt that you're doing something wrong, just speak to an instructor and get them to verify how you use the machine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.