Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey i'll be starting the IB this year and am planning to do the following in hopes of pursuing a law degree later in life..

HL-eng,econs,maths
    SL-chem,physics,abinitio spanish

was wondering whether anyone knew what the set texts are for Eng HL so I can read em,or are they different for each school/centre?

also,after perusing much of this forum,ive come to conclude that it's mutually undisputed that maths and eng HL is akin to suicide,as very very few people get 7s.this is depressing!!

ReputationRep:
    Generally different for each school/centre - our school does Dr Zhivago, Sorrow of War, Fathers and Sons, Dolls' House, Siddhartha, Antigone, Unbearable Lightness of Being... maybe a few others, I'm afraid I don't really recall.
    As for 7s in English HL, if you are good at English and do your work and get a decent teacher, there is no reason not to get a 7. If you are none of those things, I wish you good luck. It's possible to succeed without a decent teacher also, though if you do struggle at all at English, you'll be unlikely to score a 7.

ReputationRep:
    English isn't hard.

Maths is hard, but it's manageable if you take it extremely seriously. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a really burning desire, because it could damage your score and doesn't seem relevant to your career plan.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely different for each school. My school doesn't do any of the books RaisinPilot mentioned, for example (except maybe Siddhartha?)

It's generally accepted at my school that English is the easiest HL subject, and a lot of people get 7s. Math HL, however, is apparently hell.

ReputationRep:
    math HL is not necessarily hell.

if you're good in math, you will get the 7. many of my friends did. i got a 6, but then again i was bumbling through math ever since grade 8.

ReputationRep:
    I'm personally in SL math, and I find it really hard to believe HL is as bad as people say. But according to my teacher, only a couple of people from my school get 7s per year, and they're usually pretty much math geniuses.

That being said, keep in mind that IB has the same boundaries for all subjects. That is to say, the same percent of people who get 7s in Spanish or English or whathaveyou will also get 7s in Math.

ReputationRep:
    In IB there are set texts, but there's so many that the titles are almost a novel in itself. So unless you're school tells you in advance you could potentially spend a lot of time reading something that isn't valuable to you're IB. But hell, they are good books for the most part.

BEST thing you can do is really refine you're essay skills. English, Economics are very heavily essay driven, and you're gonna have to do writing for Chemistry and Physics (I think I'm right in saying schools are required to do 150 hours of pratical work, even for the standard sciences). Ab Spanish also requires essay structuring for the top boundaries.

To be more specific on the essays, learn to embed you're quotes. A good sense of grammar and sentence structuring, there needs to be a flow and a voice in you're writing (we're really talking for top grades here, but a really badly written essay could finish you). Topic sentences as always are key. And if you have a taste for the bigger picture, and want to get a little bit more interesting e.g. The Lord of the Flies was ultimately a allegory of the inhumanity that took place in the Second World War, that's the place to put it, and it keeps the examiner interested. Oh and literary devices are really useful for English.

Maths is easy, practice now. Be committed throughout. Though maybe take a higher science instead, it will make you're workload a lot easier as you tend to have more time for those dreaded practicals (depending on you're schools policy). But really its you're call, maybe try first then change, but don't leave it too late, and you're school may not let you.

On a slight side note, although you're taking law, schools like LSE do like to see Maths in a IB package. I do know one student who got rejected due to taking maths studies. But beyond all doubt numbers come first, and Maths Standard is certainly a more than sufficient level of maths.

On the practicals note, I did all of mine on a computer, and did everything through excel. You could argue it took more time, but it meant that once I had all the formula's in it was really easy to correct errors. For instance, you incorrectly copy a result it could take you hours to correct if you've done it incorrectly. On a computer it's quite literally instant.

I personally found Spanish tough, but there's so much you can do for this one. The more vocab the better, just pick up a book, tape whatever. Learn the language simple as that.

Beyond that, maybe start thinking about idea's for an EE, what subject. Preferably something you're interested in but also something that you can put into a personal statement for law. I'd personally say English.

Beyond that, work hard, try and enjoy it. When it does get hard just remember when you're done it feels euphoric! Get as much extra curricula stuff in as possible, and if you can find the time a internship is great to get into a place for law. Grades aren't everything. Hope this is useful but having taken a similar package this is what I'd do if I had my time again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alsl333)
    hey i'll be starting the IB this year and am planning to do the following in hopes of pursuing a law degree later in life..

HL-eng,econs,maths
    SL-chem,physics,abinitio spanish

was wondering whether anyone knew what the set texts are for Eng HL so I can read em,or are they different for each school/centre?

also,after perusing much of this forum,ive come to conclude that it's mutually undisputed that maths and eng HL is akin to suicide,as very very few people get 7s.this is depressing!!
    First of all, are you taking English as A1 or A2?
    I'm presuming A1 since you have abinitio. Anyway, can't help you with A1 since I'm taking A2, but if it helps, we did 3 books, 1984, The Bean Trees, and The Crucible.
    As for taking Math HL, check with your uni first cuz I don't think you need it in Law that much.
    Keep Econ at HL it's great and surely helps with Law. And why don't you cut down on one science, and take History instead since some people claim it's good for Law. (I would recommend you drop physics instead of chemistry, cuz physics is torture! I don't take chemistry but judging from the people in my year who do both, they claim that Chemistry HL is so much easier than Physics SL.
    But then again it's your choice.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    The texts for english higher vary from centre to centre but if you want to get off to a good start, read some books like Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis and a wide variety of books, which are international as well as english.

ReputationRep:
    thank you everyone!

RaisinPilot,shamrock92,fakeplast ictrees,Jaetie,silksapprentice,s atisfactionatlast and bubbles1992!your comments were very helpful.

most of ya'll are trying to discourage me from doing Maths HL but I kinda think that I can do it as I've been something of a maths geek-i finished my Maths GCSE in one year and Add Maths GCSE in one year too (CIE board),so i am quite adept at calculus and most of the A-level topics as it is.

as for history SL,i hear it requires a lot of further reading and it IS after all,another essayish subject.and ultimately,I do want to keep my options as open as possible:what happens if I decide not to do Law?any thoughts from those who do History SL?

thank you everyone for your help!I realise this thread is semi-narcissistic but I really need help!
    thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I JUST managed 7 in HL english 6 in HL maths but that very nearly killed me. I'm fine at English, but not maths minded. I was amazed to get a 6 so yeah my advice is... don't do that combination

ReputationRep:
    right after seeing my school counsellor,we have decided,what looks to me,an even messier course:

HL English,Maths,Econs,Chem
    SL Physics (in one year) and Spanish Ab Initio

ReputationRep:
    Word of advice: don't do four HL unless you really really have to. Unis don't recognise it as any better than three and it's a hell of a lot more work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaisinPilot)
    Word of advice: don't do four HL unless you really really have to. Unis don't recognise it as any better than three and it's a hell of a lot more work...
    I totally and absolutely agree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.