Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I think my friend has a deformity called Pectus. Basically, his chest looks like this:

http://www.bch.com.cn/nuss/photo/PECTUS1na.jpg

He doesn't have a SR account but asked me if I would ask the ladies here on the forum to comment on the way it looks. Would it put you off? I've told him that it's not *that* weird, so long as you gave whoever you were taking your top off to a bit of warning.

ReputationRep:
    Link doesn't work for me - it's a nasty site apparently.

Anyway, I've got an indent in my sternum, essentially looking like this:

Spoiler:
    Show
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...lsize/2927.jpg
    though I am a fair few years older than that kid :p:

It's never done me any harm, doesn't look too bad and I've definitely never had anyone complain about it. No need to worry.

ReputationRep:
    That's basically it! Sorry about the bad link. How has it affected your sex life?

ReputationRep:
    In no way whatsoever.

My crippling lack of self confidence [unrelated], however...

ReputationRep:
    hehe, I think that's my friend's problem. He is too shy to ever take his top off in front of a girl (accept me, just to show me). And he's doesn't want a really painful opperation to have it sorted out. Don't blame him really.

ReputationRep:
    except even. oops.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, if he's got to the point where he takes his top off, then it doesn't matter, she's not going to care. She might notice it, but she's not going to say anything.

Sure, I'd never go around without a top on, but that has more to do with having a not particularly great body, as opposed to not wanting to show off a dent in my sternum.

I'd never get an operation to 'fix' it, though.

ReputationRep:
    I have the opposite, pectus carinatum (where my sternum pokes out a bit), no one used to take any notice of it and it certainly never affected anything with the gurrrrrllzzzz, but in my head I absolutely hated it and like your friend, was very shy about taking my top off.

Despite it not being an issue with anyone else it was still an issue to me so I spent a lot of time in the gym working on my chest, which built up my pecs 'around it', you can barely even notice it anymore.

Tell your mate to stop worrying, I think its only as big of a deal as you make it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Drewski. He's apparently signing up this afternoon so don't be suprised if you get pestered!

Can you not work out to fix it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annapenny)

Can you not work out to fix it?
    Took me a while to track these pics down, but heres an old school mate who has the same indent, it used to be a lot more noticeable but he's been working out a lot (especially abs and chest) and as you can see its a lot less noticeable, just makes his pecs look bigger.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...24683_9944.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...46348_8158.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-...62769_7796.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you could, but I'm a naturally skinny person, to add the kind of bulk it would take to hide it would be insane. I don't mind it. It doesn't affect anything, I can still breathe perfectly normally, I'm still physically fit. Anybody who does see it won't care.

I've only ever had one person comment on it in my life [when I've not brought it up] and he was a doctor giving me a medical.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't look bad, I wouldn't be put off

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd be too fussed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annapenny)
    He is too shy to ever take his top off in front of a girl (accept me, just to show me).
    My boyfriend has this exact same ''dent'' thing (hes also very slim) and is also extremely self conscious about it.

I. on the other hand don't find it weird / creepy / disgusting and don't find him any less attractive for it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.