Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need advice for 6 week intensive training Watch

Hi folks,

I'm currently in the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" camp, so please just assume I know next to nothing.

Up to now I've been in a job which gives me very little time to train properly. I do bits and pieces but I certainly can't say I have a 'regime'.

However, I am now in a situation before uni where I will have 6 weeks to pretty much train as much as I please. What I'm hoping for is some advice for the best use of my time with regards to training and nutrition. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting to be on the cover of Men's Health in six weeks, but I do want to get everything I can out of the time. As I am going to university, after the 6 weeks I will still have more time than I'm used to.

First about me: I'm very tall with a fairly slim frame. I currently weigh about 15 stone. My girlfriend is an awesome cook, so any dietary advice from you guys should be easy to put into practice. I'm happy to take protein supplements but always felt iffy about creatine.

As for my goals, I definitely want a bigger chest. I have a slightly sunken ribcage and it needs expanding and/or filling out. I'd also like the usual bigger arms and shoulders. My abs are okay but could still do with improving, but the real issue there is that they currently have a thin layer of fat over them that prevents them from showing through. I really want to get that shifted.

I really need some advice about how often I should train and how hard, how I should schedule it. How much cardio should I do, and am I better off running or swimming? Any dietary advice and supplement advice would also be most welcome.

Thanks so much in advance. I really am ready to commit to this so please get stuck in. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, fairly late reply. I'd offer the usual advice, read and follow 'Starting Strength' and make sure that you're consuming approx 4000-5000 calories a day. Consume as much of this in whoile food as you can. This isnt going to give you the visible abs that you wanted, but should provide a solid basis for beginning bulking.

Good luck

EDIT, why anon?

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to continue with this lifestyle change after the 6 weeks? If not, then any advise would be a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    Shut up and squat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Shut up and squat
    The man makes a good point :yes:

ReputationRep:
    the best thing would be - volume.

in that, you can train twice/day for a month

after that, it's overkill but you can just 'overtrain' your body in the short-run

ReputationRep:
    1. Find and follow a good resistance training regime.

Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting and Westside for Skinny *******s would be a good start.

2. Clean up your diet.

There's no need for all sorts of weird and wonderful diets or supplements at this stage. Keep it simple, eat 4-6 meals per day, get a decent portion of protein into every meal (ie; meat, fish, eggs, etc), a decent portion of carbs (ie; wholewheat pasta, brown rice, lentils, beans, etc) and two decent portions of vegetables. If you're not gaining weight, increase your portion size, gaining too much fat, decrease portion size.

Think about getting a basic protein supplement for post workout (Whey is a cheap and high quality, use the code MP26240 for an extra 5% off your order), otherwise keep it simple.

3. Get plenty of rest.

Make sure you get around 8 hours sleep per night and integrate sufficient rest days into your regime (more is not always better).

If you want to make a significant change you've got to think a little further ahead than 6 weeks, in all honesty in that sort of time period you will achieve very little. Stick with the routine until you stop making progress, don't flit from routine to routine every couple of weeks ("If it ain't broke, why fix it?"). What you want is your body to adapt to the stimulus, if you change routines too regularly you prevent that from happening which will inhibit your progress. It isn't uncommon for a beginner to stick with Starting Strength, for example, for 10+ weeks, all the while lifting heavier and getting bigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    1. Find and follow a good resistance training regime.

Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting and Westside for Skinny *******s would be a good start.

2. Clean up your diet.

There's no need for all sorts of weird and wonderful diets or supplements at this stage. Keep it simple, eat 4-6 meals per day, get a decent portion of protein into every meal (ie; meat, fish, eggs, etc), a decent portion of carbs (ie; wholewheat pasta, brown rice, lentils, beans, etc) and two decent portions of vegetables. If you're not gaining weight, increase your portion size, gaining too much fat, decrease portion size.

Think about getting a basic protein supplement for post workout (Whey is a cheap and high quality, use the code MP26240 for an extra 5% off your order), otherwise keep it simple.

3. Get plenty of rest.

Make sure you get around 8 hours sleep per night and integrate sufficient rest days into your regime (more is not always better).

If you want to make a significant change you've got to think a little further ahead than 6 weeks, in all honesty in that sort of time period you will achieve very little. Stick with the routine until you stop making progress, don't flit from routine to routine every couple of weeks ("If it ain't broke, why fix it?"). What you want is your body to adapt to the stimulus, if you change routines too regularly you prevent that from happening which will inhibit your progress. It isn't uncommon for a beginner to stick with Starting Strength, for example, for 10+ weeks, all the while lifting heavier and getting bigger.
    I'd say for your average young guy, only 10 weeks wouldn't be very good. 3-4 months should be minimum. Especially if you follow all the protocol; and the protocol becomes ever more important in the latter months.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.