Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I’m a Portuguese biomedical engineering student and just finished my 1st year, but i’m not sure I’m in the right course…
    I would like to do research in the area of life sciences and would rather do it in a laboratory studying cellular mechanisms, genetics, etc, than work directly with engineering or technology development. I think biomedical sciences might be the right course for me but I’d like an opinion of someone from the inside!

In Portugal, the biomedical sciences courses aren’t very good so I thought I’d go to the uk. Is it a good choice? What are the best universities to take this course?

I’ve been checking uni sites and found Warwick and Birmingham very interesting because of the campus lifestyle, especially warwick. Looking at the rankings they seem good and very similar but, by checking other sites, I got the idea that warwick wasn’t very good at biomedical sciences (and biosciences in general) and that it wasn’t IBMS accredited. Am I right? And is accreditation by IBMS important?

Also found that Birmingham, Nottingham Trent and Surrey are mainly campus based universities and that the course is accredited by IBMS. Which do you think is the best?
    And in which other uni is this course good (preferably campus universities)?

Just one more question, in the uk you can do a PhD right after you finish your course or do you need to take a Masters first?

Thanks
    (and sorry for the long text and all the questions, but I do need some help!)

ReputationRep:
    accreditation by IBMS important for work within the NHS

without looking at league tables Surrey, Birmingham, Nottingham Trent i would guess

but then surrey is a costly are to live in, Warwick not a bad uni, but i think their biomed degree is a new course for them

ReputationRep:
    Imperial Biomedical Engineering is one of the best courses and as a European student your course fees won't be too high - bear in mind that living in West London will probably be quite expensive though. I'm looking into doing it as a 1-yr MSc upon graduation.

squish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.