Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bill Gates quits Facebook... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even know the guy was on there...:eek: :confused:

It would have been kinda fun to poke him...:p:

Or when you write something about a school photo and then two minutes later it says, "Bill Gates likes this" :p:

*John posts a picture of him topless, wearing shades and a baseball cap*

You: John you look like a chavvy little p***k!

*Bill Gates likes this :top:"

But the reasons he left were because it was too much of a hassle managing his account because thousands of people were adding him as friends.

So I was wondering, did anybody add him as a friend or do you have any mutual friends or would you have added him as a friend or did you even know he was on there?

Here is the link if anybody wants to read the whole article:

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article....372&ocid=today

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    Well I dont know him, so I wouldnt have added him

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know he had it. I would have added it him, asking why Windows always crashes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thethinker)
    I didn't know he had it. I would have added it him, asking why Windows always crashes.
    Hahah, rep for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member101)
    Hahah, rep for you.
    Thank you! :top2:

ReputationRep:
    Bill Gates is in a relationship with Steve Jobs.

ReputationRep:
    It was so obviously he was going to receive a large number of friend requests though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Well I dont know him, so I wouldnt have added him
    Doesn't stop most people.

This week, I had three friend requests from people who were in my year in secondary school. In all my time at this particular school, we didn't once exchange even a single word. Looking at their profiles, we have absolutely nothing in common.

I would love to know why they want to add me on something like this? Is it just racking up numbers or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)

This week, I had three friend requests from people who were in my year in secondary school. In all my time at this particular school, we didn't once exchange even a single word. Looking at their profiles, we have absolutely nothing in common.

I would love to know why they want to add me on something like this? Is it just racking up numbers or something?
    I know!..i've never actually understood that...its like, well..I may have seen you...but I dont actually know you...
    Meh' people are like that anyways..tis rather silly me thinks :P

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=L i b]Doesn't stop most people.

I would love to know why they want to add me on something like this? Is it just racking up numbers or something?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. People use the number of friends they have as a sort of social security blanket ("I've got 100 more friends than him so I'm obviously more popular..." :rolleyes:) I don't see the point to be honest - all I've used FB for in the last month is to play Downhill Snowboard :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    I didn't even know the guy was on there...:eek: :confused:

It would have been kinda fun to poke him...:p:

Or when you write something about a school photo and then two minutes later it says, "Bill Gates likes this" :p:

*John posts a picture of him topless, wearing shades and a baseball cap*

You: John you look like a chavvy little p***k!

*Bill Gates likes this :top:"

But the reasons he left were because it was too much of a hassle managing his account because thousands of people were adding him as friends.

So I was wondering, did anybody add him as a friend or do you have any mutual friends or would you have added him as a friend or did you even know he was on there?

Here is the link if anybody wants to read the whole article:

http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article....372&ocid=today

Discuss.

The answer to the question is yes, yes you are a looser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thethinker)
    Crashing is down to the user and PC setup, not the OS :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)

Yeah, I get loads from people at school I've never spoken to or people from junior school I never liked or even people I've never heard of from god knows where. It's ridiculous. I don't accept any of them but I met someone the other day who was talking about how she liked adding lots of people to make herself look popular. People use it like a competition. "My life is clearly superior to yours; I have 3465 facebook friends!" :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't get it. I don't accept most requests, only those from people who actually are friends. If someone I like and have spoken to but don't really know that well adds me, I sometimes accept them but that's as far as it goes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    I know!..i've never actually understood that...its like, well..I may have seen you...but I dont actually know you...
    Meh' people are like that anyways..tis rather silly me thinks :P
    Maybe after all that time, these people realised they made a mistake in not knowing you in secondary school and now this is the only way they can get in touch?
    And then they were to shy to start talking to you first...

:yep:

(that was supposed to be sarcasm by the way)

ReputationRep:
    I just got home to find that a sort-of-friend I haven't spoken to or thought about in 3 years' ex-girlfriend who I never met has added me. She has 700+ 'friends'. It's definitely just number collecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    Crashing is down to the user and PC setup, not the OS :rolleyes:
    So your going to try and argue that Vista is a good OS? Please....
    The OS isn't perfect, in fact far from it.....

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't he just use a false name that only his family and close friends know so he doesn't get thousands of randoms adding him? Or is common sense too difficult for the of the worlds richest men to grasp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    So your going to try and argue that Vista is a good OS? Please....
    The OS isn't perfect, in fact far from it.....
    It's hardly problematic though (for me anyway).
    I just get annoyed when people go 'omg windows is rubbish'. If you have a half decent PC and some kind of knowledge of computers, it's absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)

Vanity and racking up numbers yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    It's hardly problematic though (for me anyway).
    I just get annoyed when people go 'omg windows is rubbish'. If you have a half decent PC and some kind of knowledge of computers, it's absolutely fine.
    Even people within Microsoft criticised the OS. It is a problematic OS and has been, try researching the problems it had and you'll see that actually it's far worse than you think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.