The Student Room Group

Pill or Injection.... implant?

This poll is closed

What do you use?

Pill66%
Injection11%
Implant24%
Total votes: 38
I'm wanting to go on another form of contraception, for two reasons.. contraception being one thing (a just in case, although I'm not in a relationship atm) but the main one being to sort out my periods.

I rarely get periods but when I do, they are really heavy, give me major cramps and aches and last for a fortnight or more.

Anyway, I've put myself off the implant... but I'd like some peoples experiences to help me think..

Do you take the pill, or injection? Whats it like, side effects for YOU? ( i know theres the sticky but its the same generic info)

Anyone got the implant? whats it like? Is it sore? Side effects etc?

Thanks
~L

Scroll to see replies

The pill, I'm not entirely sure I like the one I'm on any more :sad: I'm going to stick it out another 3 months and see, but I seem to be going in a cycle of feeling bloated and fat, then thinner, then fat again. It might be to do with something else though, not sure. I get really stropy really easily as well, and I never really did before.

I was on Microgynon before, which ruined my skin, Dianette (which I'm on now) is making it better but I've recently been getting a bit spotty again, which isn't supposed to happen.

However, I'd much rather be on the pill than get the implant, at least you can just stop taking the pill if it doesn't agree with you. Whereas with the implant you might be put on the pill as well to balance things out e.g. heavy bleeding, or have to have it removed.
Reply 2
See I'm scared about scarring etc too... I've seen a friends arm and although she only got it in about 7wks ago, her arm was a mess...
Laura_f_1990
See I'm scared about scarring etc too... I've seen a friends arm and although she only got it in about 7wks ago, her arm was a mess...

How so?

A lot of my friends have it, and they only have a teeny scar where the entry point was. Most of them had massive bruises at first though. Maybe your friend was just unlucky? Or has skin with a tendency to scar badly.
The pill was awful for me. The injection... I'm terrified of needles - despite having piercings, *facepalm* - and the implant just works well for me.

Your friends arm could be for a variety of reasons, but most people only have a tiiiny little scar. I can post pictures if you really want.
Reply 5
Sakura-Chan
How so?

A lot of my friends have it, and they only have a teeny scar where the entry point was. Most of them had massive bruises at first though. Maybe your friend was just unlucky? Or has skin with a tendency to scar badly.

She bruises easily so I guess it was that.
Reply 6
I have the implant,and it works perfectly for me. I was on the depo injection before that and my nurse said it was about time that I chose another method ( I had been having the injection for 8 years prior to that). I"ve only ever had mild side effects from my implant, ie tender breasts and a few spots. But my periods , well what I have of them, have all but stopped completely. Thing is that different methods work differently depending on the person using them.What is suitable for one person might not be suitable for another.

I"m due to have my implant removed next month, and will be having a new one put straight in.
Hello fellow Dundee person. :yes:
I've been on the pill for a few months now (Microgynon 30), and it works just fine for me although I have to admit it's not the best if you're forgetful like me. Not many side effects for me, although I gained a kilogram of weight during the first month or so!
Annie72
I have the implant,and it works perfectly for me. I was on the depo injection before that and my nurse said it was about time that I chose another method ( I had been having the injection for 8 years prior to that).

Every time I go to the nurse (I'm on the depo, so that's every three months), she keeps suggesting the implant.
I don't like the sound of it, even if it releases hormones more steadily, I like the fact that I can just not turn up to my next appointment if I don't want to be on this anymore.
I've been on the depo for about 2 years solid now, had a three month break before that, and was on it for about 2 years before that break. I have absolutely no problems - no bleeding whatsoever, and my period returned within the first month of the break. It doesn't do this for everyone, though.
Sadly I think its a case weighing up the risks that concern you most, and what advantages you'd rather benefit from each contraceptive, and just try it.
Reply 9
Mirena coil.

No periods. Lasts aaaaaaaaaaaages. Can be taken out whenever you want.

Mercilon pill. No side effects apart from it makes me a little bit more prone to crying at particular adverts. :p:
No weight gain, no headaches, no spots (in fact it helped clear them up).

I was on Microgynon for a couple of months and it was horrible for me - made me already bad acne twice as bad.
Pill. Injection - I think you can only have it for 2 years or something? And implant... I've heard bad things about it:dontknow: Best to try the pill first.
Coil, hormones play havoc with my mind :sad:
Reply 13
Im on the pill, cerazette. No side affects really, the first month was a bit on and off with spotting etc, but since then it's leveled out entirely and periods are either non existant or really light and short if they do decide to arrive. Probably going to get the implant in a few months, as it's the same hormones as cerazette, and as im getting on with it fine I might as well get the implant (says the nursey) and then I can go back to being my normally scatty forgetful self and not be obsessive over the pill :biggrin:
Reply 14
Hey thanks :smile: I know its different for every person, but I'm trying to see what "could" happen etc..
Reply 15
inksplodge
Pill. Injection - I think you can only have it for 2 years or something? And implant... I've heard bad things about it:dontknow: Best to try the pill first.

I think I too have heard that you can only use the injection for 2 years, not too sure. I was on it for 8 years........:eek:
The pill defintiley
Implants hmmm..........
The pill - been on three kinds over three years. Made me a bit ropey and emotional. Very predictable and easy to control. Nice to be able to control your periods. Had to switch pills several times because of breakthrough bleeding.

I didn't like the fact so many things could go wrong - sickness, antibiotics, taking them late etc.

Implant - only had it like a month. So far no ill effects except a little nausea. Had 1 normal week long bleed and no other bleeding or side effects. Quite sore if you bang it after it's put in but that only lasts a day or so, and if you're squeamish about medical stuff you might find it difficult to get it put in. It's meant to be more effective than sterilisation so altogether reasonably impressed.

Fertility returns quickly as well.
Reply 18
Anonymous

Fertility returns quickly as well.

Thats the only + i'm seeing atm. I'm really not squeemish.. but I'm not buying this "stick a rod in your arm" thing...
I'm on the implant, i'v never had any problems, like a tight pinch when it goes in but far safer than the others i think, you can't forget it either.

I've had mine for 1 yr 3 months now, and like i said no problems.

Most women, not all but most have a period once every 4 months.

x

Latest

Trending

Trending