Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Some of my friends make me feel bad about myself. Watch

ReputationRep:
    A couple of my friends, whether intentionally or not, seem to constantly be making me feel insecure about myself. E.g saying things like "lacey i LOVE your hair" and then laughing quietly as if for a joke. Then, because they do this to me and i would never do it to them - even if i didnt like the way they looked i'd keep quiet - i feel like they're playing mind games with me and consequently i feel like to get on a level with them i have to insult them too so i find myslf being pulled in and playing their stupid games.

For instance a few months ago i bought a new coat and my mate was with me when i bought it and she said she didn't like it but i did like it and i bought it anyway, and now i feel insecure wearing that coat. I know its just her opinion but still, sometimes all my friends opinions get me down.

Like sometimes they (the two people i'm talking about dont even know eachother so they're not ganging up on me as such) say things like "tbh your skirt doesnt really look good with ur outfit" then i'm like for the rest of the day feeling insecure. and THEY'RE outfits i don't ever like much but i would feel bad if i were constantly making diggs to them. if they asked me for my honest opinion i would say something gently if i didn't like it but i wouldn't make them feel so bad about themselves. i've really lost a lot of my confidence lately and i feel like surprisingly its down to my friends who've done this to me.

I feel like they just can't accept that we have a difference of opinion when it comes to fashion and they should just leave me alone. Its not as if they'e constantly doing it but every now and then and i get sick of it. I feel inferior whenever i'm with one of my friends because SHE seems to think she always looks nice whereas she always makes digs about me e.g. "your hair would look so good like this ..... so much better like this ..... " and then i spend the whole day being worried about my hair.

then its like well why should i be nice to them if they just make me feel insecure. I don't think friends are supposed to be like this but its an issue whenever i'm out with either of them.

and with one of them particularly i feel like i have to change when i'm around them cos she has her opinions and i have mine and i feel like the only way we get along is if i temporrily try to fit with her.

I'm doing gcses next year so obviosuly it won't be much of a problem due to loads of revision but still, its bloody annoying me.,

ReputationRep:
    These people are not your friends, Lacey. Whether it's your insecurities or their attitude at fault you can't spend your free time with people who make you feel this way. Girls are *****y, and this does sound deliberate.

I suggest that after GCSE you make the greatest effort to mingle with a new group.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to them - they might not realise how blunt and harsh they are being.

If it doesn't change, ditch them. Your friends aren't there to make you feel bad about yourself, quite the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    i prefer if my mates tell me tha they don like how i look or if im wearing somethin that they dont like because sometimes in the shop you might like something but they can see from far if its suits you or not etcetc
    and anyway if it upsets you why dont you just make new friends with the same opinions as you

ReputationRep:
    If you're secure and happy with your fashion sense, then just ignore them, it's only clothes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    Talk to them - they might not realise how blunt and harsh they are being.

If it doesn't change, ditch them. Your friends aren't there to make you feel bad about yourself, quite the opposite.
    this is good advice, lacey
    your friends are meant to be the ones to make you feel better about yourself..not worse. if they are aware of their actions then they're not real friends.

ReputationRep:
    Say something about their own clothes if they feel they can constantly say things to you about yours. Just to show them what they're doing. If they don't like it, then tell them you don't, either.
    I'm so glad I'm not 15 anymore - the older you get, the more you can avoid silly people who do that sort of thing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.