Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    About 4 years ago I went to the opticians, and they noticed something in my right eye which they thought was odd..
    So they recommended I went to the doctors, which I did, and then got deferred to the hospital.

They spent about 6 months calling me back and forth to have tests done, etc, and then came to the conclusion that I had a swollen optic disc, and said it was probably just something I was born with and will be able to carry on living with regardless..

Recently, I have suffering from tonsilitis and have been put on antibiotics and since I have been on these I have been getting incredibly bad migraine/ headaches at the back of my right eye - where I expect my optic disc is.

Reading the leaflet that came with the antibiotics doesnt show up any headaches as being side effects, however, I have just been on the NHS website and it says that paid in the back of the eye/ swollen optic disc can be a sign that there is something wrong with the fluid in the brain and possible indicate a brain tumour..

Im just abit worried as of reading this, but also a bit concerned because the doctors said I would be able to live normally regardless which seems a bit strange thinking about it..

I am thinking of going to the doctors tonight or tomorrow to talk to them.. Any experience/ input from anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Don't diagnose yourself on the internet, as it's possible to turn a cold and sniffles into HIV or metastatic cancer. If you're concerned, go see your doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Just head straight to your doctor ASAP. Chances are people on here haven't been significantly trained on here to deal with such matters, so completely disregard any attempts to diagnose you. Best of luck, hope it isn't as bad as you fear.

ReputationRep:
    Just go to the doctors, but in the mean time don't worry too much, just because you fear you have symptoms, an NHS leaflet is not a diagnosis.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    4 years ago...there are no brain tumours that do nothing for 4 years, dont worry. with brain tumours you're usually talking about a matter of months for neurological symptoms to develop. What ever it is cant be aggressive/malignant.

usually the swelling ur talking about "pappilloedma" is bi-lateral ie. it happens on both eyes.

migraine is a sign of migraine, not the kind of headache you get with brain tumours.

But do go get medical help just incase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Just head straight to your doctor ASAP. Chances are people on here haven't been significantly trained on here to deal with such matters, so completely disregard any attempts to diagnose you. Best of luck, hope it isn't as bad as you fear.
    Or anywhere, save 'The Superhuman Clairvoyant Doctor Capable of Diagnosing A Brain Tumour With No Physical, Other Tests and An Incomplete History Room'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    4 years ago...there are no brain tumours that do nothing for 4 years, dont worry. with brain tumours you're usually talking about a matter of months for neurological symptoms to develop. What ever it is cant be aggressive/malignant.

usually the swelling ur talking about "pappilloedma" is bi-lateral ie. it happens on both eyes.

migraine is a sign of migraine, not the kind of headache you get with brain tumours.

But do go get medical help just incase.
    How long can tumours remain benign? I thought it was indefinitely? I don't actually know anything about this though. Just wondering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewalkwhenshewalks)
    How long can tumours remain benign? I thought it was indefinitely? I don't actually know anything about this though. Just wondering
    forever but a benign tumour beginning to grow after 4 years causing swelling on one side, causing no neurological problems after a doctors already said its a specific problem rather than a tumour paints a rare situation

ReputationRep:
    forever but a benign tumour beginning to grow after 4 years causing swelling on one side, causing no neurological problems after a doctors already said its a specific problem rather than a tumour paints a rare situation
    I see your point

Hope you're OK, OP, I've known a couple of people who got aggressive brain tumours and they're both doing OK now.

migraine is a sign of migraine
    Good to know you're learning lots from your medicine course :p:

ReputationRep:
    Go see your GP they will be able to advise you what to do.
    Hope everything is ok

ReputationRep:
    i know someone who had a brain tumour... the symptoms were not like yours, their's was a persistent numbness down one arm. They went to the doctors twice; the first doctor thought it was nothing (:mad: ) the second doctor referred them to the hospital to get a MRI scan... Turned out she had a large non cancerous tumour

Please get it checked out

ReputationRep:
    For a start as commented dont diagnose yourself via the internet else you are likely to misinterpret things etc, best to leave it to the professionals.

Go to the doctor, as you have seen some marked change in your condition so that is a good enough reason just to get it checked out, it is better to be safe then sorry in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Symptoms I've been experiencing recently suggest I've either got duodenal or stomach cancer, but there's a very high chance I haven't got it - there's no other advice apart from going to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    If you're concerned you should keep going back to the doctors and get refered to a neurologist. People with frequent and severe migraines are usually given MRI scans to check for tumours or abnormalities. If your headaches are bad enough, you may be given one, which would definitely put your mind at rest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.