Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you work per week during study period?

I'm curious to know because I'm currently working part-time, 14 hours, but doing 4 modules and I'm thinking it might be too much.

But then, I'm not after extremely high scores or anything - seriously, passes are fine and work experience is invaluable

xo

ReputationRep:
    Zero

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing about 24 hours a week at work. Probably too much but I live in my own house and bill must be paid! haha

ReputationRep:
    I do 10.5 hours per week (weekend work) whilst at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella)

I'm curious to know because I'm currently working part-time, 14 hours, but doing 4 modules and I'm thinking it might be too much.

But then, I'm not after extremely high scores or anything - seriously, passes are fine and work experience is invaluable

xo
    I'm about to go into 4th year at uni and doing 12 hours a week work but it's over 3 evenings and I find it a bit much sometimes. It's the fact that it's 3 days I have to be in work. I could probably do more than 12 hours a week if it was over 2 evenings though. I also waste almost 2 hours every day I work with travelling to and from work making it worse. I know a lot of people I work with are a 5-10 minute journey home which would be far easier. I'm considering leaving because I had to rush to get everything done in 3rd year and I don't want to leave with a bad class degree because of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    I'm about to go into 4th year at uni and doing 12 hours a week work but it's over 3 evenings and I find it a bit much sometimes. It's the fact that it's 3 days I have to be in work. I could probably do more than 12 hours a week if it was over 2 evenings though. I also waste almost 2 hours every day I work with travelling to and from work making it worse. I know a lot of people I work with are a 5-10 minute journey home which would be far easier. I'm considering leaving because I had to rush to get everything done in 3rd year and I don't want to leave with a bad class degree because of it.
    Yeah I see what you mean setmefree

My job location is pretty far too, but I have a car which makes the journey a lot quicker, and I only work on Thurs and Fri.

But if I had to rely on public transport like I had to during my undergrad, I don't think I'd working as many hours.

ReputationRep:
    I do 30 hours.

6 in the evening to 1 in the morning (7 hours - no breaks!) on Weds, Thurs, Fri and 8 in the morning to 5 in the evening on Sundays.

It's tough and invariably probably couldn't do that whilst doing a 1-yr masters.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xps.systems)
    I do 30 hours.

6 in the evening to 1 in the morning (7 hours - no breaks!) on Weds, Thurs, Fri and 8 in the morning to 5 in the evening on Sundays.

It's tough and invariably probably couldn't do that whilst doing a 1-yr masters.

squish.
    Yep but are you STUDYING full-time? That is the question

I'm doing less than half your hours, at 14, but then I'm studying full-time.

ReputationRep:
    Yep but are you STUDYING full-time? That is the question

I'm doing less than half your hours, at 14, but then I'm studying full-time.
    Yep I study full-time.

During term-time hours are usually 10am to 4:30pm most days - but it does give me time to get across the city from S. Kensington to C. Wharf in the evenings. Wednesday's are usually shorter in duration at uni and occasionally some afternoons are free. Usually have two afternoon practicals per week.

I will probably need to shorten my hours in my final year. By the way I don't go out really so I tend to catch up on university-related reading on Saturday and Sunday evenings and am usually awake through the night (small hours) on 1 or usually 2 occasions in the week.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't work but our uni recommends no more than 20 hours or ideally don't work at al but obviously that's not possible for most people.

AJxx

ReputationRep:

xo

lol i SHOULD be doing an extra 12 hours a week studying, however atm it's probably 6, with the odd half an hour here and there

oops, i thought this was on how many hours studying..

working i do around 20

ReputationRep:
    16 hours is generally recommended as a maximum and I agree with that roughly. I wouldn't complain about working too many hours as most people are lucky to get 1 hour a week these days.

ReputationRep:
    I probably did about 15-20 in normal term time, but completely cut down around exam/essay periods.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I study full-time.

During term-time hours are usually 10am to 4:30pm most days - but it does give me time to get across the city from S. Kensington to C. Wharf in the evenings. Wednesday's are usually shorter in duration at uni and occasionally some afternoons are free. Usually have two afternoon practicals per week.

I will probably need to shorten my hours in my final year. By the way I don't go out really so I tend to catch up on university-related reading on Saturday and Sunday evenings and am usually awake through the night (small hours) on 1 or usually 2 occasions in the week.

squish.
    Ok cool cool. Thanks hun

Yeah my hours are gonna be reduced during exam time thankgod, my boss said that during this period I can work one day, 7 hours, instead of 2 days (14).

So there's always that to look forward to! That's only 2 weeks I get this though. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melana)
    I probably did about 15-20 in normal term time, but completely cut down around exam/essay periods.
    Yep, that's what I'm doing.

I'm doing 14 now (18 this week but we've only just started down under), but in exam time I'm getting a couple days off.

So for 2 weeks I'll only be working 7 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Ok cool cool. Thanks hun

Yeah my hours are gonna be reduced during exam time thankgod, my boss said that during this period I can work one day, 7 hours, instead of 2 days (14).

So there's always that to look forward to! That's only 2 weeks I get this though. :rolleyes:
    I had my hours reduced during exam time. Usually I'm on 30 hrs per week but in the 10 week run-up to exam I scrapped Sundays so only put in 21 hrs/week. In the actual exam week itself I took annual leave for 4 days (i.e. the whole week).

Do you use your employment for work experience? Part-time income? Saving for the property ladder? Financing further qualifications?

Because I work out-of-hours I am paid a grad-level salary so it is financially worthwhile to do what I do and gives me alot of finance-related/technical-related expertise for the CV too.

P.S. Are you from Aldelaide?

squish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizzletastic)
    16 hours is generally recommended as a maximum and I agree with that roughly. I wouldn't complain about working too many hours as most people are lucky to get 1 hour a week these days.
    Thanks hun,

and the exam weeks I'm only working 7 hours. SO I guess I can relax now *sigh of relief*

ReputationRep:
    I had my hours reduced during exam time. Usually I'm on 30 hrs per week but in the 10 week run-up to exam I scrapped Sundays so only put in 21 hrs/week. In the actual exam week itself I took annual leave for 4 days (i.e. the whole week).

Do you use your employment for work experience? Part-time income? Saving for the property ladder? Financing further qualifications?

Because I work out-of-hours I am paid a grad-level salary so it is financially worthwhile to do what I do and gives me alot of finance-related/technical-related expertise for the CV too.

P.S. Are you from Aldelaide?

squish.
    Hehe yes.

Yep I use my employment as work experience, which I believe is invaluable from my experience in the workforce after I completed my first degree.

I'm going to be a librarian, and I currently work in information management (in the department I am in).

xox

ReputationRep:
    I should also add that once every couple of months (although I probably won't indulge in this until the spring break in September, we'll get 2 weeks)...

I do a bit of adult nude modeling But that doesn't take very long long - only a couple of hours!

Somehow I don't think I should've mentioned this but oh well, too late.

ReputationRep:
    I should also add that once every couple of months (although I probably won't indulge in this until the spring break in September, we'll get 2 weeks)...

I do a bit of adult nude modeling But that doesn't take very long long - only a couple of hours!

Somehow I don't think I should've mentioned this but oh well, too late.
    I used to model last year but it wasn't completely nude. Is this for an agency or for 'art classes'.

It wasn't a particularly lucrative kind of work and most was during the day (i.e. when I had lectures/practicals) so not ideal - my current long-term position which is more relevant to my desired career is much more preferable in terms of experience acquired.

Do you enjoy nude modelling?

squish.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.