Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Well, I think I have one anyway.

It's soooo painful going to the loo, like a really sharp stabbing pain. Been this way since Saturday, but I woke up this morning and when I went to pee there was a load of blood in my urine too. And I mean a lot!

The blood's stopped now but I still have this constant feeling of needing to go to the loo. I'm having to go almost every half an hour today.

And my tummy and back hurt.

This is more of rant about my horrid luck than anything, but I just wondered if anybody had ever had the same thing?

I have a doc's appt. this evening but is there anything I can do in the meanwhile to make it feel a little better?

ReputationRep:
    Drink some cranberry juice

ReputationRep:
    take painkillers!
    strong ones though, otherwise you'll be pain free for about an hour, then the pain kicks in again, and also drink lots of water and just rest...thats what I've been doing.
    I've got a water infection and the pain is unbearable, but the antibiotics are starting to kick in now!

ReputationRep:
    You can accept my empathy?

ReputationRep:
    Cranberry juice, lots of water, paracetamol, cool showers make you feel fresher and help protect you from a fever. The doctor will give you antibiotics that'll start making you feel better almost straight away, so just sit tight!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it sounds like you've got cystitis or a urinary tract infection. It is really really important that you go and see the doctor, especially because of the blood is your pee, which is worrying. The infection can move up from the urethra (regular peeing tube) into the ureter (tube leading from kidneys to urethra) and possibly even the kidneys. A kidney infection is absolutely agonising and, if left long enough, could end up with kidney failure, which is BAD.

The doctor will give you some antibiotics and it will go away within a week

In the mean time, make sure you drink lots and lots of water. Take a painkiller if you want, but not too many, because pain is good in that it lets you know that something is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I was told i had a urinary infection (turned out it wasnt) but i was given pain killers and told to drink lots and lots of water as this will flush your system out, even once you get rid of the infection keep drinking lots as they are likely to come back

ReputationRep:
    Please go see your doctor.

It is possible it hasn't spread (as that would be a very quick spreading) but the back pain could be a sign of the infection spreading up to the kidneys. I left mine a week once, and it spread to them, and it hurt so so so much. So please go see your doctor so you can get it cleared up in time

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.