Why do I not have a boyfriend? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monpetitchou)
    You're too good for me? With an attitude like that, I'm too good for YOU
    I'm too good for both of you :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Okay, here's the situation. I have lots of friends, all of whom I adore, but I don't have a boyfriend. I don't know how to talk to people who I think are attractive, especially if they're complete strangers. I really wish I was the kind of person who could talk to someone on the street, but I'm not.
    I think I might be being wayyy too fussy, because I have had offers, don't get me wrong, but I've turned everyone down.
    I'm expecting someone truly amazing, someone who loves me unconditionally, who likes poetry and classical music, who'll protect me and defend me. I want someone who looks amazing too. Someone with brown eyes and dark hair, with pale skin (either that or olive skin) and dainty features.
    I suppose, even though I have lots of friends, I'm a bit lonely. I want a companion, someone who I can be intimate with and share my thoughts with. I know I'm young, and I have years ahead of me to date people, but I want a relationship. It's not a crime.
    Is it because I'm too picky, or just because I'm hideous?
    Haha
    Oh dear... you have exactly the same problem as me!!
    It's due to watching way too many romantic movies/reading romance novels/the general media... You've been programmed to expect way too much in a guy, and to believe that it will require no effort at all to meet said person. It'll be difficult, but I guess you're just going to have to take chances on people you wouldn't normally consider

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightmushrooms)
    Oh dear... you have exactly the same problem as me!!
    It's due to watching way too many romantic movies/reading romance novels/the general media... You've been programmed to expect way too much in a guy, and to believe that it will require no effort at all to meet said person. It'll be difficult, but I guess you're just going to have to take chances on people you wouldn't normally consider
    At least you actually recognise that life isn't a cheesy romcom.

ReputationRep:
    you're too picky...just play the field and then look into having a relationship...

ReputationRep:
    Okay, here's the situation. I have lots of friends, all of whom I adore, but I don't have a boyfriend. I don't know how to talk to people who I think are attractive, especially if they're complete strangers. I really wish I was the kind of person who could talk to someone on the street, but I'm not.
    I think I might be being wayyy too fussy, because I have had offers, don't get me wrong, but I've turned everyone down.
    I'm expecting someone truly amazing, someone who loves me unconditionally, who likes poetry and classical music, who'll protect me and defend me. I want someone who looks amazing too. Someone with brown eyes and dark hair, with pale skin (either that or olive skin) and dainty features.
    I suppose, even though I have lots of friends, I'm a bit lonely. I want a companion, someone who I can be intimate with and share my thoughts with. I know I'm young, and I have years ahead of me to date people, but I want a relationship. It's not a crime.
    Haha
    There you go

ReputationRep:
    If your going to be that fussy then you need to be near enough perfect yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Haha
    Once upon a time this bloke was looking for his dream girl. His friends would tell him his expectations are too high, that he's too picky. "But she'd be my perfect love", he insisted. He looked and looked.

Years later, over a meal, he told his friend that he had found the most gorgeous girl with the most elegant grace and perfect persona. "Wow", his friend replied with disbelief. "Well, what happened?" he asked.

"Turns out she was looking for the perfect guy", he replied head down chewing on his lunch.

ReputationRep:
    i'd say you're far too picky on what you want from a guy, and its clouding you're vision becuase you're after something that realistically isn't going to happen right now, its something that will take alot of time

ReputationRep:
    whats wrong with being single?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    Once upon a time this bloke was looking for his dream girl. His friends would tell him his expectations are too high, that he's too picky. "But she'd be my perfect love", he insisted. He looked and looked.

Years later, over a meal, he told his friend that he had found the most gorgeous girl with the most elegant grace and perfect persona. "Wow", his friend replied with disbelief. "Well, what happened?" he asked.

"Turns out she was looking for the perfect guy", he replied head down chewing on his lunch.
    Remind me to +rep you for that tommorow, sums it up perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    I think the whole high standard of guys that exists in Twilight is surfacing here . . your description seems to fit the main character too.... don't fall victim to it.

ReputationRep:
    There’s nothing wrong with being selective, but if you’re trying to find someone very close to what you want you might have to be prepared for a long wait. Either modify your expectations or be more patient. You’re only 16 after all. It depends what you want more really, your ideal guy or a boyfriend right now.

ReputationRep:
    Haha
    maybe your searching for love too early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monalisa22)
    I think the whole high standard of guys that exists in Twilight is surfacing here . . your description seems to fit the main character too.... don't fall victim to it.
    did you create the quote in your sig?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon838)
    did you create the quote in your sig?
    I would have liked to have done, but nope I found it a few years back - I like to think of it as a maxim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monalisa22)
    I would have liked to have done, but nope I found it a few years back - I like to think of it as a maxim
    depends on people's views of what is 'great'.
    If you need any Keyboard or Basketball tips then PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon838)
    depends on people's views of what is 'great'.
    If you need any Keyboard or Basketball tips then PM me.
    That is true, everything really boils down to an individual's interpretation.
    Haha I might just do that

ReputationRep:
    Haha
    Jeez, don't ask for much, do you? You are never going to find all that in one man, but you're not gonna find any of that if you don't give some men a chance.
    No one is gonna come along and unconditionally love you on sight, that's something that builds and grows with knowing someone. Poetry and classicial music, good luck finding one of them and let me know where they are when you do. Protecting and defending often comes with the role of boyfriend. As for looks, don't turn down a guy just cos he isn't exactly what you want looks wise.
    You are far too picky, picky is not a bad thing generally, but because what you want is so exact, you are restricting yourself. Let it go a bit, have fun, play the feild, you may be surprised to find that what you thought you wanted isn't really that important.

ReputationRep:
    because you spend way too much time on TSR

ReputationRep:
    god you are expressing myself,its scaring...please don't stick to your ''perfect'' guy.Its obvious If u are a fan of edward cullen for a while sure you will want someone with dark hair/brown eyes who play the piano...forget about that!
    you may meet someone totally different tahn those who look like edward lol and u may fit more with them than the rest..
    I was full I wanted a dark hair/blue eyes and now I like blond guys as I met one lol ,his personality is more what i wanted than the dark hair guys heh. its not like it will stay the same forever and ever

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.